Author Topic: Default cockpit view help  (Read 3592 times)

Offline Winger1

• Zinc Member
Default cockpit view help
« on: July 26, 2018, 01:09:42 PM »
I was flying the F6F the other night and I was experimenting with cockpit views so I hit the "home" key which makes the cockpit the default view. Normally I was able to see the whole instrument panel including the flaps indicator, fuel gauge, vertical speed, ammo and manifold but now I can only see the upper portion of the panel. To make matters worse I hit F10 to save the head position, now I can't get it back to the view I had before and I'm not sure how to fix it. Sometimes I listen to music on headphones while I play so it's impossible to tell if I have WEP on or not without looking at the manifold and I can't see how many notches of flaps or how much ammo I have.

Does anyone know how to switch it back? I move the seat down but then I can't see my gun cross because I'm too low, it's almost like I'm stuck seeing to much or not enough of the cockpit whereas all my other planes have a good view of gunsight and panel.

Thanks for the help.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 01:13:39 PM by Winger1 »

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Re: Default cockpit view help
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 01:16:31 PM »
Have you tried adjust the FOV a little?
Setting it a little higher will allow you to see more things on your dashboard.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 01:31:31 PM »
Instead of moving your head position down, I would suggest you do the following

1st: hit the Home key to get back to the games F6f-5 default forward view

2nd: use the "down" arrow key to move your head position back away from the cockpit's instruments and gauges cluster panel to your liking....to where you are able to see everything that you think or want to have in the forward view

Then hit the F10 key to save it

You should already know how to move your head position up and down.... The arrow keys move your head position view forward/back/left/right

Hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 02:49:01 PM »
Instead of moving your head position down, I would suggest you do the following

1st: hit the Home key to get back to the games F6f-5 default forward view

2nd: use the "down" arrow key to move your head position back away from the cockpit's instruments and gauges cluster panel to your liking....to where you are able to see everything that you think or want to have in the forward view

Then hit the F10 key to save it

You should already know how to move your head position up and down.... The arrow keys move your head position view forward/back/left/right

Hope this helps

TC
YUP, ALSO...You can make these sort of "DEFAULT" head position adjustments for the other head positions on the Hat switch...IE. Hat switch right(while holding this position) use arrow keys to adjust head position and (while still holding hat switch) F10 will save it
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 03:02:11 PM »
I like the 90 degree FoV but it does cut off alot of the gauges so I mapped a button to "look down". I can use the hatswitch + look down and see the gauges,now I did have to adjust and save the view I wanted but that's easy enough. An added benefit is I can also look down and around,like below the wing or down below the tail and I can see all the gauges while having all the images larger than if I used say 103 degrees FoV.

YMMV!

:salute

Offline AKQwik

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 04:09:27 PM »
Or you could get TrackIR and just look down.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 05:59:48 PM »
Or you could get TrackIR and just look down.

Yes that's likely the best solution,next to VR but even tho I have a TIR setup I just cant get used to it. So I do it old school with both "look up and look down mapped to a button and use the hat to look around.

I still like to lower FoV as object seem larger! At 90 most fighter's wingspan fill my gunsight reticle around 300 yds.

TIR makes me nauseous,just something I cant get past.

YMMV!

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 12:22:16 AM »

Yes that's likely the best solution,next to VR but even tho I have a TIR setup I just cant get used to it. So I do it old school with both "look up and look down mapped to a button and use the hat to look around.

I still like to lower FoV as object seem larger! At 90 most fighter's wingspan fill my gunsight reticle around 300 yds.

YMMV!

:cry I couldnt imagine playing without my Oculus, OR TIR for that matter. Kind of feel bad for ya :uhoh I couldnt get used to the hatswitches... :uhoh
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 08:59:54 AM »
If you have a folder with Default HPS settings in your AH installation copy the f6f file to your settings folder, that should restore your F6f tilted down instrument view.

If not, let me know and I'll post it when I get home.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 09:06:37 AM »

YMMV!

If your FOV is wider than "natural" for your monitor size and position then motion sickness is more likely. This effect seems to increase with monitor size.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 02:05:23 PM »
If your FOV is wider than "natural" for your monitor size and position then motion sickness is more likely. This effect seems to increase with monitor size.

Could be part of the issue,I use a 55 inch monitor and my gunsight reticle is about 4 inches in diameter!

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 02:27:00 PM »
In real life the reticle was 1.9-2.5 inch diameter for a 100Mil ring depending on the projector lens. The larger offline you zoom and increase the 100mil reticle to 4 inches, you actually start having aiming control problems. In the cockpit the reticle was about 17 inches from your face. One of the reasons you needed 20:20 or better since there was no zoom looking past that image.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 05:02:49 PM »
In real life the reticle was 1.9-2.5 inch diameter for a 100Mil ring depending on the projector lens. The larger offline you zoom and increase the 100mil reticle to 4 inches, you actually start having aiming control problems. In the cockpit the reticle was about 17 inches from your face. One of the reasons you needed 20:20 or better since there was no zoom looking past that image.

I dont use zoom for shooting,and I'm pretty sure it doesnt matter which FoV I use my gunsight reticle doesnt change in size. I use standard 1080 on a 55 inch screen and I sit about 5 ft from the screen,once inside 3 ft I cant see squat!

I use a 140 mil ring and most fighters wing span fill the ring around 300 yds,by 200 yds they definitely fill the whole ring. Doesnt mean I can hit them tho! :furious

YMMV!

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2018, 05:22:34 PM »
For 60 inches away from the monitor I guesstimate the natural FOV is around 45. Tough for SA but the perspective would be correct.

BTW when you run a triple monitor at max FOV, 152, the central monitor FOV is about 50.  :aok

Offline Winger1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2018, 07:11:36 PM »
If you have a folder with Default HPS settings in your AH installation copy the f6f file to your settings folder, that should restore your F6f tilted down instrument view.

It worked! Thank you very much, that fixed it  :aok