Author Topic: Radar Testing  (Read 29279 times)

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
Re: Radar Testing
« Reply #375 on: August 05, 2018, 11:46:34 AM »
Does anyone recall where exactly (thread and post) HiTech describes which specific problem he is trying to fix.  (For example, new players unable to find fights, or whatever). 

I'm looking for something in his own words, BTW, not something attributed to him by one of us.  Reason is, we might (inadvertently of course) mis-represent what HiTech actually said. 

MH

Each evolution of radar change brings Hitech's ultimate goal into sharper focus.  To me, it looks like he's simply trying to provide more information in the game's interface so a new player can quickly find action.

Now for a little rant:
Maybe I'm speaking only for myself, but when I joined, I did not stumble into the game.  I was looking for a WW2 flight sim.  Call of Duty just didn't do it for me.  And when I first entered the game, I was pretty overwhelmed, and had the misfortune of re-upping at a field being vulched.  I also knew squat about flying.  Those first five or six sorties of teetering down a runway on one wheel and a wing tip as a 190 raked me with 20 mm was pretty discouraging.  I stopped playing in the MA for a long, long time, and just practiced alone off line, learning how to taxi, take off, fly, land, shoot at drones, etc.  It was probably 6 months before I entered the MA again. Young people don't do that.  They have no patience for that.   

I know this is probably impossible, but what would have helped me most in those first few days to find some fun in the game was a trainer joining me in a sortie in the MA and explaining the ropes about everything - the game, how to communicate, the strategies, the learning curve, controls, gunnery, you name it.  And I'm always willing to do that with a new player.  But I never know when a new player enters the MA, and the new player sure as heck never knows who to reach out to. 

If that gap could be narrowed, that would probably be a good thing. 

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline duie

• Zinc Member
« Reply #376 on: August 05, 2018, 11:53:18 AM »
Air warriors had a newbee arena.....  time to bring that back imo.

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #377 on: August 05, 2018, 01:14:05 PM »
Each evolution of radar change brings Hitech's ultimate goal into sharper focus.  To me, it looks like he's simply trying to provide more information in the game's interface so a new player can quickly find action.

Now for a little rant:
Maybe I'm speaking only for myself, but when I joined, I did not stumble into the game.  I was looking for a WW2 flight sim.  Call of Duty just didn't do it for me.  And when I first entered the game, I was pretty overwhelmed, and had the misfortune of re-upping at a field being vulched.  I also knew squat about flying.  Those first five or six sorties of teetering down a runway on one wheel and a wing tip as a 190 raked me with 20 mm was pretty discouraging.  I stopped playing in the MA for a long, long time, and just practiced alone off line, learning how to taxi, take off, fly, land, shoot at drones, etc.  It was probably 6 months before I entered the MA again. Young people don't do that.  They have no patience for that.   

I know this is probably impossible, but what would have helped me most in those first few days to find some fun in the game was a trainer joining me in a sortie in the MA and explaining the ropes about everything - the game, how to communicate, the strategies, the learning curve, controls, gunnery, you name it.  And I'm always willing to do that with a new player.  But I never know when a new player enters the MA, and the new player sure as heck never knows who to reach out to. 

If that gap could be narrowed, that would probably be a good thing.

That's what H2H did for me. The MA was just too big and I had no idea what was going on. Smaller H2H fights really helped me learn the game in the first 6 months.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline RODBUSTR

• Nickel Member
« Reply #378 on: August 05, 2018, 01:27:56 PM »
 The all seeing Eye certainly makes it easier for 2 teams to attack the 3 team with a lot more effectiveness. just check the map now. 66 rook and knights v 16 bishops.  the harder a ream gets beat up the more players log off.  so ENY kicks up to help even the odds, but they are ganged up on and hunted down to the point a player is  KO, Bingo or Winchester.  Kind of the opposite effect of ENY.  I like  not having to look for attackers, but  when attacking I see a lot of cons drop of the screen.  Also players like Cybro, which I never had an issue before  Logs on and ups in a ship's gun position and all know where It is.   Have a blast.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #379 on: August 05, 2018, 01:33:12 PM »
  Don't get all bent because a change is tested. I had fun during full Dar and maybe it can be implemented a little different. Make full dar above 15K. Raise the field dar back up a little for the NOE crowd. RADAR CERTAINLY CAN'T SEE THROUGH MOUNTAINS.
  Same old, same old will get us no where, change is good.  :rock
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #380 on: August 05, 2018, 01:48:12 PM »
Phase 2 is coming up Tuesday, look at these new variables Hitech is adding so radar is not monolithic. I guess Hitech believes we are so attentive to the flux and flow of these forums due to how we will fight over the specifics of a single pea under 12 mattresses. That when he posts answers to real issues we will spread them far and wide versus ignore them and make up fake reality to stoke your discontent.

This Has Been A Test Of The AH3 Radar In the MA.

August 1

For the next patch I am writing some new radar option flags so configurations can change and I can test some different combinations.

Enemy Vehicles On Radar
Friendly Vehicles On Radar
Show Bombers as Fighters

Also the BelowRadarAlt will remain active even if full radar is enabled.
It can be set to 0 to disable it.

HiTech

August 3

My current thinking is it will change Tuesday with a new test consisting of full radar in tower (with the exception of below radar), and different settings when in flight.

HiTech 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
Radar 2.0
« Reply #381 on: August 05, 2018, 02:41:27 PM »
I LOVE THIS NEW RADAR SETTING!

I can routinely find fights now. It been YEARS since I could do this.  No longer flying endless sectors chasing hints of dar bars to find a fight without sucess then logging out on many occasions.

I pay for this game to do ACM not sight see.

Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you!

and
Thank you!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 02:43:18 PM by Slade »
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #382 on: August 05, 2018, 02:43:10 PM »
Not for the worse.

Don't get all bent because a change is tested. I had fun during full Dar and maybe it can be implemented a little different. Make full dar above 15K. Raise the field dar back up a little for the NOE crowd. RADAR CERTAINLY CAN'T SEE THROUGH MOUNTAINS.
  Same old, same old will get us no where, change is good.  :rock
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #383 on: August 05, 2018, 03:39:13 PM »
While Flippz seems to be ok with his squadmate egressing from a fight he did spend a lot of time harassing me with leaving one on fumes..... ah well typical action from the same bad apples we all have to put up with.

As for the full dar, I liked it. I did have to keep reminding myself to use it as I usually fly with the kneepad down. But finding enemy and running over toward them made it easy to see if they want to fight. If they turned away, I didnt waste time chasing them. If they kept coming on Id fight, if there were too many lining up against me ID turn away  :neener: From a fighter guys POV it was great.

From a "war" footing, we had battles going on all night. Not a lot of base captures.....tho the bish DID seem to roll a few Rook bases before getting stalled out by the Knights A1 to A44 NEVER was a good route to advance a front.

From a strategic POV, it sucks. The only way for it to work and still run missions would be to have large groups together at varying alts for cover for the heavies..... we dont want to promote HORDES.

Im hoping when the "NEW" version comes out this week ....Hitech said around Tuesday... adjustments are made to allow the mission planners some room to work. While I enjoy fighting, I preffer to fight with a purpose as in defend a base or attack a base, even down to just RTBing alive. With this setup defending is easier to find/do, but attacking is pretty much thrown out the window other than a horde dropping on you.

Looking forward to this week to see how it all shakes out.
So who are you calling a bad apple? My squad mate, me or me for not chastising my squad mate?  Why would you dissolve to making statements like this?  I just thought it was funny that you were all in the fight until the numbers evened out and you left the fight. Just not sure who you are calling a bad apple there and I am sure it’s some rule violation that vchoo will be along in a few to point out

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #384 on: August 05, 2018, 03:45:30 PM »
Either you ADAPT or die.   Hitech is already innovating with VR.  He’s working on adapting by gathering data and testing configurations.   

I slogged the whole WBs death march myself.   That’s why I wound up here.

Again I  state Hitech decisions to make Aces High more of a Shoot em up  fighter arena  will be  lost in the crowd of other  Shoot em up  games.   Can't ya get that through your head?

The key is to improve REALISM,  improve GRAPHICS.

That was the deathknell of  Warbirds,  and Aces HIgh is now circling the same toilet.
To fly or not to fly, that is the question
-The Golden BB-

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #385 on: August 05, 2018, 03:48:44 PM »
Again I  state Hitech decisions to make Aces High more of a Shoot em up  fighter arena  will be  lost in the crowd of other  Shoot em up  games.   Can't ya get that through your head?

The key is to improve REALISM,  improve GRAPHICS.

That was the deathknell of  Warbirds,  and Aces HIgh is now circling the same toilet.

Those other games aren't "getting lost" in the crowd.  It's a big market.  We have to appeal beyond the narrow niche you advocate.   Doing it YOUR way is why we are circling.   
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #386 on: August 05, 2018, 03:50:42 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 06:46:48 AM by Skuzzy »
-The Golden BB-

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #387 on: August 05, 2018, 03:52:35 PM »

Those other games aren't "getting lost" in the crowd.  It's a big market.  We have to appeal beyond the narrow niche you advocate.   Doing it YOUR way is why we are circling.

You clearly don't understand the market.  Graphics  3x  more advanced and realistic yet  appeal to the fight/die/ repeat model.

Is Aces high any close to the advanced graphics?
-The Golden BB-

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #388 on: August 05, 2018, 03:56:52 PM »

As in history, you repeat history..   ACES High decisions of 'the fight'  is not , nor will meet the  technological advances of its  competition.    Not  reinventing itself to meet the realistic graphics of competition,   yet   CONSTRAIN the player base to the competitors  'fighting arena'  methodology will only chase those strategists elsewhere and  chase away the short attention spanned fighters  to the 'eye candy'  competitor games.  Aces high is  MILES  behind the competition of  realism. 

You do not understand the dilema you support.  Neither did  Warbirds.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 04:00:01 PM by gldnbb »
-The Golden BB-

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #389 on: August 05, 2018, 03:59:47 PM »

It is a big market but it is a small fish in a big pond. Games like War Thunder or Wargaming titles appeal to a large crowd because they are arcade-like, fast paced, grindy, what have you. Games like AH and IL2 are extremely niche based because it focuses more on realism than anything else. AH is the only one of its kind to have the one-arena style where there's always something going on. It isn't instance based or splits people up by server. You'll never attract a large crowd from games like WT because it is totally different. It is the same reason there is a big divide between Fortnite and PUBG. They are two separate games filling two different niche markets.

Also take into account the fact that you have an ever-shrinking number of people who give a damn about what this game is about: WWII combat. Tons of people play the other games but do they like it purely because it is WWII-related? I have my doubts.

Lastly, I think a big turn off is the subscription model. One of the main reasons I stopped playing ArcheAge was because they basically required you to have a subscription to anything decent in the game. It is nice to play WoT/WoWS/WT because you can play any time and pick up where you left off. If I'm enjoying it enough I'll get premium for a month. AH is not set up for the F2P model, and I think moving in that direction (the microtransaction idea) would be detrimental to the current player base. So it will be what it'll be.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com