Author Topic: Instead of locking planes with ENY, they should be unlocked by points  (Read 6035 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Instead of locking planes with ENY, they should be unlocked by points
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2018, 06:51:50 PM »
The only people who whine about ENY are not capable of getting kills in planes that require skill to fly. -100

Nonsense.  See the post before yours.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2018, 06:56:00 PM »
1)  ENY is there for a reason.  Hitech remembers why he put ENY in the game, so he will not take it out because he know that it WILL negatively impact the game.  I hate ENY, but I understand why it is here and why it needs to stay.

2)  No more perk planes.  One of the things that makes this game great is that I don't have to earn a bunch of points to fly the plane I want to fly. All you have to do is look at other games that use such an advancement system to see why it should not be done here.

3)  2 sides has been tried, and it didn't work very well. History shows that 3 sides works best in the Melee arena.  Hitech doesn't have to try it, because he already has.

You keep trying to make this game something it isn't and shouldn't be.  Everything you have suggested has been considered and rejected, or already been tried.

When you have 400 players in the arena you may have a point but with 40...not so much. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2018, 08:29:32 PM »
When you have 400 players in the arena you may have a point but with 40...not so much.

Let's say, just for the sake of argument that you are right.  You don't always have 40 players in the arena.  Right now, Saturday, 8/25/2018, 6:12 Pacific, there are 115.  History has shown that ENY is needed, and that three sides works better than two.  You can't argue with history, and you aren't trying to argue with history.  You are saying that things are different now, and we don't need ENY and two sides would work better.  But what happens when things stop being different?

What happens when you hit that threshold where you need ENY and three sides? 

DING!  "OK, everyone.  We are switching back to three sides and switching ENY back on."

All you have done is make like more complicated and confusing.  History says that ENY solves a bigger problem.  History says that three sides works better than two. History says this is true with the numbers that we have in the arena right now as I am typing this.

The statement from NugetX went like this,  "Just test it and let's see...... if it will impact negatively the game, just change it back."  We don't have to test it to see if it will have a negative impact on the game, history shows that it does. 

My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2018, 09:12:09 PM »
History is an excuse. 

What works with 400 doesn't work with 100.   Fess explained it quite well. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2018, 09:23:36 PM »
History is a snapshot in time and should be studied and analysed so we can learn from it.  History is not a barometer for the present or the future.

History is littered with events where people have said xyz should not be done and then someone else proves them wrong.

Just because something was right or wrong in times gone by does not mean it is right or wrong now.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2018, 10:36:38 PM »
The bottom line is that two sides may stem the bleeding.   We will never know unless we try. 

Lazer had a great take on this.  Wish I could find it. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 10:38:26 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2018, 01:05:20 AM »
History is an excuse. 

What works with 400 doesn't work with 100.   Fess explained it quite well.

It did in Air Warrior.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2018, 01:14:47 AM »
1)  ENY is there for a reason.  Hitech remembers why he put ENY in the game, so he will not take it out because he know that it WILL negatively impact the game.  I hate ENY, but I understand why it is here and why it needs to stay.

For a reason of big player numbers 400+, but not with 50 players, not even with 100 players.

2)  No more perk planes.  One of the things that makes this game great is that I don't have to earn a bunch of points to fly the plane I want to fly. All you have to do is look at other games that use such an advancement system to see why it should not be done here.

Perk planes is like ENY lock, but instead of 'impacting' people, they get 'rewarded'.
So you don't want 'perk' planes, but want ENY lock, which is the same..... but ENY lock makes people log out of the game.

3)  2 sides has been tried, and it didn't work very well. History shows that 3 sides works best in the Melee arena.  Hitech doesn't have to try it, because he already has.

You keep trying to make this game something it isn't and shouldn't be.  Everything you have suggested has been considered and rejected, or already been tried.
And history shows that Air Warrior and Warbirds died because there were no adjustments that were needed to keep the game alive.

When history repeats itself, do we notice?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 01:17:21 AM by nugetx »

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2018, 02:39:55 AM »
I would pay lots of perks to fly the plane that I want when ENY lock is on. I don't care, I have bazillion fighter perk points.

The catch is this:
I have never been ENY locked in anything but a 262. My main ride is ENY30, my other rides are in the 20--35 range. This is also why I swim in useless perk points.

Any La7, Spit16, 109K, P51D pilot that cannot successfully fly an La5, Spit9, 109G14, P51B should seek out a trainer.
Any "dedicated" La7, Spit16, 109K, P51D pilot that flat out refuse to fly an La5, Spit9, 109G14, P51B, because "it is a completely different plane  :cry" is an idiot.

To the OP suggestion - this has been suggested before. I wouldn't mind it provided that the perk tags are high enough to be meaningful barrier. I would easily pay 1000 perks for a 262 just to hunt down that annoying enemy 262 NOW.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2018, 04:19:25 AM »
I would pay lots of perks to fly the plane that I want when ENY lock is on. I don't care, I have bazillion fighter perk points..

This is also an idea.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2018, 07:37:01 AM »
Just saying maybe Nutgut is just polishing one of his old turds here cleverly disguised as an ENY complaint.  I do not buy it. -1
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Rebel28

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2018, 08:01:26 AM »

And history shows that Air Warrior and Warbirds died because there were no adjustments that were needed to keep the game alive.

Part of this statement is NOT TRUE Air Warrior died because EA Sports bought the rights to the game and cancelled it. At the time it had a large following. With the demise of Air Warrior on AOL the search was on for a replacement game the two choices at the time were Warbirds or Aces High. My choice was here, and the reason that even now I will NEVER buy a game from EA Sports. Air Warrior was Aces High lite many hours of fun in that game I still miss it.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 08:25:25 AM by Rebel28 »
4th Fighter Group
~ The Gunslingers ~

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2018, 10:22:42 AM »
Yeah EA acquiring AW was an example of "catch and kill". They had absolutely no intention to develope or improve the game at all. Their sole intention was to remove it from the marketplace as it was a competitor to whatever they were at least planning to do at the time. It was 2001 and online gaming wasn't then what it was now. Easy to control the much smaller space things were at the time and that's pretty much what happened to AW. Nothing wrong with the game at all as it was. It certainly could have followed a similar development curve near what we have but that wasn't the idea for EA. They caught it and killed it plain and simple.

I knew bad things were happening as a pseudo employee (staffer EAGURUDrano). I bailed for AH just before the doors closed.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Force using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2018, 12:47:12 PM »
It did in Air Warrior.

Different circus.  Different monkeys. 

Three-sided war and ramped ENY at our current level is sub-optimal.   Maybe the radar update will mitigate that.   We will see. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2018, 02:10:00 PM »

You are wrong about the reason why AW shut down.  Yet another game you didn't play.  When EA pulled the plug on AW, it wasn't due to lack of players.  At the time only Ultima Online had more subscribing players.  AW had over 30k players when it shut down. 

It was very common to be placed into a queue until space opened up in one of the arenas.

The arenas in AW were also capped.  At first the arenas were capped at 100 and later increased to 150 players (AW4W) and the three sided set up worked well.  The arena that had a 2 sided set up (AvA) was almost always empty. 
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song