Author Topic: Map Making For Fifth Graders Anyone?  (Read 725 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Map Making For Fifth Graders Anyone?
« on: September 01, 2018, 11:52:16 AM »
Can someone give me a quick and dirty rundown on how to make a map I can practice with?Even if it is only one grid in size that’s fine.   

I cannot get anything to open.

In five steps, please explain it to me like I’m a kid.   :bhead
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Map Making For Fifth Graders Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 02:06:22 PM »
1. - Open the terrain editor.
2. - Menu bar top screen - settings - choose map settings. Change it to 64.
3. - Click the elevations tab and choose elevation which is default 1000, you can make it lower, it's in feet.
4. - Find the brush size slider at the bottom push it all the way up, now your red dot is 6 miles diameter.
5. - Click in the center of your screen and you will have a big circle of land appear.

The tools under the elevation tab are how you create and carve land. Select one and your mouse is your tool then learn to carve up your 6 mile diameter dot of land. Make it taller, wider, carve gullys and canyons make mountains and so forth. The smallest unit of polygon is 660ft so your structures will have minimum size limitations. You will have to spend time learning them. Or you can always use Artik's program which pulls in GEO maps and creates importable heightmaps for the terrain editor. You can the link at the top sticky for this forum. In the end you will still need to know how to use the terrain editor to ultimately get you work published.

You have seen all three of my terrains and when I created the first one it was to learn the terrain editor. I pushed buttons a lot to see what would happened. Two years later of constant MA terrain building, you have probably seen riftval. It will take time and that still does not include the theory of terrain design for the low population MA these days. That is a lot of lurking and watching\listening to the customers along with researching the competition and some professional sites for level\terrain design. The paying customer is what matters if you are being honest about the endevor, not your personal dreams of an MA utopia.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 02:24:34 PM »
How do I save it?   You once mentioned all lowercase.   Anything else?
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 12:08:36 PM »
The paying customer is what matters if you are being honest about the endevor, not your personal dreams of an MA utopia.

Something you've demonstrated can be a highly subjective enterprise (open to varied interpretation based on the bias of its creator), FWIW.  Objective implementation is an elusive goal at its easiest.   
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 12:12:04 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 02:45:01 PM »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 03:38:49 PM »
^^^^^^^ I'll take a look.  Thanks!   :salute
”KILLER V”
The Damned