Author Topic: The Worst FSO that has ever came to be  (Read 6475 times)

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Re: The Worst FSO that has ever came to be
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2018, 02:25:34 PM »
Why no carriers? The attack on Darwin started with carrier borne Zeros followed by level bombers.

This is after the carrier raids. CVs would make no difference as the Allies would not be tasked with attacking them anyways.

The side split has the Axis with a 10 pilot advantage in the design.

Frame 1 saw 69 Axis to 87 Allied.

Showing up is their job. There is no way in Gods green world you can have this setup work with the Axis having a an 18 pilot deficit.

The absolute min # for the Axis is 67. They had 69. I cant recall another FSO frame where the turnout was that poor.

One target or two...late orders or not...7 sectors or 5. The result would be the same.

As for the one target...well there had been a lot of talk about doing that and giving both sides all these options ect with more squads to task...but this wasnt the frame for it. In any case I wanted to try it out. So much for that.

...and yes I will likely have to move a large squad to Axis this time to make this things workable.

I am very disappointed in what happened let me try and see what I can do here. 

« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 03:11:41 PM by Squire »
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2018, 02:36:41 PM »

Just do what you can. I'm sure it's like herding cats...
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline Snork

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2018, 04:08:54 PM »
This is after the carrier raids. CVs would make no difference as the Allies would not be tasked with attacking them anyways.

The side split has the Axis with a 10 pilot advantage in the design.

Frame 1 saw 69 Axis to 87 Allied.

Showing up is their job. There is no way in Gods green world you can have this setup work with the Axis having a an 18 pilot deficit.

I didn't mean for carriers to be targets, just a way to get zeros to target sooner and have a chance to land successfully.
The absolute min # for the Axis is 67. They had 69. I cant recall another FSO frame where the turnout was that poor.

One target or two...late orders or not...7 sectors or 5. The result would be the same.

As for the one target...well there had been a lot of talk about doing that and giving both sides all these options ect with more squads to task...but this wasnt the frame for it. In any case I wanted to try it out. So much for that.

...and yes I will likely have to move a large squad to Axis this time to make this things workable.

Flying as Noser

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2018, 04:37:12 PM »
Here are my observations on this frame:

1-The setup was run right behind a holiday weekend.  It should have been held off one week so everybody could catch up to what was going on.

2-The Axis orders went out the day of the event.  This always leads to poor coordination, limited options considered, and usually the straightest approach to target is the one that is chosen.  In this case it was.

3-I have never cared for the one side attacks one side defends setup.  The bombers usually get gutted by defenders because the defenders do not have to try to figure anything out.  Further there is no guarantee that everyone sees action unless everyone crashes together at the exact same spot at the same time.

4-The Allied defense plan was a good one.  The Allied squads executed perfectly.  The Axis bombers and fighters flew right into what AkWarHwk had setup and were ground to bits.

5-There are complaints about the writeup and objectives that could have been addressed ahead of lift time.

6-The Axis side if I am looking at correctly came in light with numbers.  Nothing can fix this but the squadrons themselves.

7-The Allies came in the high side of required numbers.  This just compounds the problems for the attacking side.

The Pigs have just received an email that we are now Axis for the rest of the month.  We look forward to our new job and will see you all on the skies next week.

:salute

Way

CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2018, 04:56:44 PM »
Here are my observations on this frame:

1-The setup was run right behind a holiday weekend.  It should have been held off one week so everybody could catch up to what was going on.

2-The Axis orders went out the day of the event.  This always leads to poor coordination, limited options considered, and usually the straightest approach to target is the one that is chosen.  In this case it was.

3-I have never cared for the one side attacks one side defends setup.  The bombers usually get gutted by defenders because the defenders do not have to try to figure anything out.  Further there is no guarantee that everyone sees action unless everyone crashes together at the exact same spot at the same time.

4-The Allied defense plan was a good one.  The Allied squads executed perfectly.  The Axis bombers and fighters flew right into what AkWarHwk had setup and were ground to bits.

5-There are complaints about the writeup and objectives that could have been addressed ahead of lift time.

6-The Axis side if I am looking at correctly came in light with numbers.  Nothing can fix this but the squadrons themselves.

7-The Allies came in the high side of required numbers.  This just compounds the problems for the attacking side.

The Pigs have just received an email that we are now Axis for the rest of the month.  We look forward to our new job and will see you all on the skies next week.

Way

Axis orders went out late, but there was a VERY limited avenue of attack in order to make it to target on time. There weren't many options to consider unless you want to break the rules. There was no room to fly West or East or anything like that because the attack would not have gotten there by t+60. As previous posts have said, tests were run and with a STRAIGHT line to target the G4M's were to get there at t+51, and that is with limited throttling back. The orders could have come out 4 months ago and the route would have been the same. Simple math and testing would have concluded that the Allies could have went to a small area on the map and found the attack group no matter what.

The Defense plan was good, but with an extra 20 people to help with that. There were also plenty of Allies who didn't see any action at all according to the logs, because the over-abundance of pilots meant a slaughter as soon as the bombers were spotted. Not that is anyone's fault in particular...the plan worked and that is all that matters.

i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2018, 05:07:10 PM »
Axis orders went out late, but there was a VERY limited avenue of attack in order to make it to target on time. There weren't many options to consider unless you want to break the rules. There was no room to fly West or East or anything like that because the attack would not have gotten there by t+60. As previous posts have said, tests were run and with a STRAIGHT line to target the G4M's were to get there at t+51, and that is with limited throttling back. The orders could have come out 4 months ago and the route would have been the same. Simple math and testing would have concluded that the Allies could have went to a small area on the map and found the attack group no matter what.

I hear what you are saying but don't you think one of the Axis CO's would have said something to the CM's when the objectives came out?  When I see the objectives that I am concerned about I accept them or I ask clarification questions.   The distance issue was there when we all received our objectives a week ago. Please understand my observations were never meant as a slam on anyone.  This frame was a perfect storm of ugly convergences.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2018, 05:25:36 PM »
I hear what you are saying but don't you think one of the Axis CO's would have said something to the CM's when the objectives came out?  When I see the objectives that I am concerned about I accept them or I ask clarification questions.   The distance issue was there when we all received our objectives a week ago. Please understand my observations were never meant as a slam on anyone.  This frame was a perfect storm of ugly convergences.
No I know what you mean...me personally I opened up the objectives and saw the map and thought to myself "oh boy". I never got around to doing any time trials though, but I knew 7 sectors would be pushing it. I agree, the perfect storm. :)
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2018, 07:01:03 PM »
Flying defense and being a rank and file pilot for FSO, I don't receive the objectives and full orders.  I absorb from both vox and text the fluid nature of the battle.  As an experienced bomber pilot, CIC mission planner and long time player, I have to ask these questions to the Axis side.

1) Were there any Frame night leaders to call verbal changes to the Orders due to low turnout for better opportunities of success?
2) Were there any aggressive bomber pilots that night to throw the textbook training out the window?

For obvious reasons, please don't answer those questions in the name of Axis Command Security.  Axis Squad COs know what they are doing.  Those questions were to give the audience the perspective of being given lemons.  Those lemons can be changed to sweeter things. 

For the rest reading this, I have read the OP and the responses.  There seems to be a little negativity and some anger.  This is not the worst FSO.  If it was, then both sides would have complained.  This frame was not the best for one side due to prior reasons stated.  The CM team with the agreement of the Pigs to balance out the side split.  :salute

Let's move on and enjoy Frame 2 and 3. 

Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2018, 08:01:05 PM »
I do not bother with FSo.  Tried 3 times and they were all total crap

I've enjoyed them all.  This one was perhaps the least fun, but stuff happens.

I got an assist and it felt like a real accomplishment since I only saw two bad guys the whole frame.  It's usually much more action packed than that.

Oh well.  Next week!
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline noman

• Copper Member
      • http://yahoo.com
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2018, 11:38:38 AM »
Pretty sure the Japanese General that came up with this plan has already committed Hari-Kari so as to not bring dis-honor to the Emperor or his family.
Quote by Delirium:
Frankly, I'd rather be a fluffer at a gay porcupine film company than be a CM.
God bless the CMs for putting up with this community.
Sic Pups        MA
412th FNVG   FSO

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2018, 11:49:01 AM »
Pretty sure the Japanese General that came up with this plan has already committed Hari-Kari so as to not bring dis-honor to the Emperor or his family.

lol, that means the allies will outnumber us again! as we all brought shame on our families! dang bug-eyed allies!
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2018, 12:15:45 PM »

We either break the T+60 rule or fly straight to target. No options.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline noman

• Copper Member
      • http://yahoo.com
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2018, 12:58:30 PM »
We either break the T+60 rule or fly straight to target. No options.

Yes it was a joke to say let's put it behind us and move on. I read all the other posts about this and realize what happened was unforeseeable (to a lowly nobody like me) and unavoidable. Just wish I could have dropped my bombs is all. Now I am just waiting to be respawned as a vengeful fighter ace that will take down many enemies for the Emperor ( May he Live forever with the Sun on his face )  :airplane: :salute
Quote by Delirium:
Frankly, I'd rather be a fluffer at a gay porcupine film company than be a CM.
God bless the CMs for putting up with this community.
Sic Pups        MA
412th FNVG   FSO

Offline UncleKurt

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2018, 06:50:56 PM »
 :ahand

Well, All pretty much good points . Nobody should enjoy FSO as any less than a Challenge. Even difficult.. Combat does that. Balls were dropped...some picked up and made the most of in a difficult situation. Didn't we all learn from it some??
Some disappointments, some victorious ovations.. For me, I just enjoyed flyin 'round the area and watchin everybody else with nk1dog in my lap.. I enjoyed being there with you all!! Shall we adjust as indicated and try again?? Thank you all for the analysis and glorious suggestions. Banzai!!

:joystick: :old:
I Like pizza!
I Hate red airplanes!
Leave my sheep alone!
What an axle!<br/Do Not Impose to Bully Around Me!

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2018, 11:11:23 PM »
This crap is utter garbage, Pacific fso's generally suck, but this is something beyond the pale. If this were my first FSO it would also be my last.

Chuikov