Author Topic: How not to hand prop a plane  (Read 405 times)

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
How not to hand prop a plane
« on: September 20, 2018, 03:32:48 PM »
Guys,

Just trust me on this one. It's like watching a bunch of monkeys fk a football.

https://www.facebook.com/CirrusInstructor/videos/271705223552930/

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: How not to hand prop a plane
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 04:30:10 PM »
Unbelievable. Hopefully this guy never flies again. He is a genuine threat to anyone around.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 04:48:06 PM »
What an idiot.

I will never hand prop a plane any way but this takes the cake.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 07:12:23 PM »
Saw several cases of hand propping going bad.

A guy propped his 180 on skis.  It got away from him and was going in a big circle, gaining speed until it hit his floats stored along the edge of the lake, bounced over and hit his pickup.  Pretty much put him out of business for the rest of the year.

185 just out of rebuild.  Handpropped and got away, roaring across the road at full throttle heading to the airport maintenance building.  The 185 became airborne just before hitting the building....it went back into rebuild.

A guy hand propped a 206.  No one knows for sure what happened but he thinks he must have slipped on the icy ground.  When he became away again he was lying under the running airplane.  He body was parallel with the fuselage, his head in line with the prop arc.  He had the moxy not to jump up and scooted out from under the prop.  Luckily for him he had big tires on him 206 or it would have been very sad.  I was sent to this call for first aid.  He had a big laceration on his forehead probably from the prop.

Propping isn't bad, you just have to do it correctly.  A friend always hand propped his Cessna 180.  He had a refined technique, his engine always started with a gentle flick of the prop.  The reason he did this was because he was flying into the bush all the time and he wanted to know for sure his engine would start.  For him the electric start was his back up. :)

We were going to prop the B-17 one morning to see if it would work but none of us were tall enough.

Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 08:32:13 PM »
I remember pulling blades through on "Texas Raiders" Many moons ago.    Man that was work.

”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 09:20:18 PM »
I can't imagine why I would want to take off in an aeroplane which I knew had not one, but two bad batteries.

And even if I had a very fine reason to do so, I believe I would at least chock the wheels and apply the parking brake before I tried starting the plane.  By myself.  With no one in the cockpit.

But hey, SR22s don't cost much, do they....?

- oldman