Author Topic: Yo Colmbo!  (Read 3592 times)

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
Re: Yo Colmbo!
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2018, 08:15:57 PM »
This is probably my favorite video.  Sailing my dreamboat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P41Hn4gLFP0
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2018, 10:04:45 PM »
Nice videos Colmbo!  Pretty cool drone vantage of your dreamboat.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2018, 10:38:02 PM »
 :aok One thing I always wanted to try...sailing. OK, what is better FLYING or SAILING...I know hard to compare...but both need skill and precision to do correctly...which gives more???gratification (not really sure what I was going for lol). Sense of accomplishment :uhoh
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2018, 12:04:49 AM »
:aok One thing I always wanted to try...sailing. OK, what is better FLYING or SAILING...I know hard to compare...but both need skill and precision to do correctly...which gives more???gratification (not really sure what I was going for lol). Sense of accomplishment :uhoh

Sailing is pretty easy to simply get the boat to move.  An old saying is anyone can get the boat to move, it takes a sailor to stop one.  Sailing is very technical and takes a lot of effort, skill, knowledge and experience to do well.  I was a noob even though we had been doing it for 9 years.  I had improved a lot but still had a loooong way to go. :)

My wife and I loved having the airplane.  It was our escape machine and there is no better place to escape than the wilds of Alaska.  Flying here is more relaxed than most of the lower 48 -- less airspace restriction and with the right airplane you can land almost anywhere.  Even in our 182 with minimal mods we were able to get into less than 500' gravel strips, river sand bars, etc.  We many times would go to our favorite chicken place and grab a bucket then fly to a remote strip (named Bold :) located at the head of a lake and just below a glacier to enjoy our picnic surrounded by stunning views.

After selling the airplane and returning from the bombers we bought our first sailboat.  It became our escape machine.  The Kenai Fjords National Park and Prince William Sound became our sailing grounds.  We'd get out a day or so from Seward, far enough the weekenders would be around, and virtually have the ocean to ourselves.

As to which gives the most gratification I have to say they both do equally.

Here's some sailing images: https://www.dalefalk.com/Boats

Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2018, 01:10:26 AM »
 :rock Figured you would say both :lol I always wanted to see Alaska. Had a chance back in 2000. One of my section leads where I worked(United States Gypsum..THE "Sheet Rock" mfr, had a brother that was an Wild life officer in Ak. He was going to take me with him for Annual fishing jaunt. Didnt get to go though, his brother was going to be busy running down a Grizzly that had killed 3 campers. After seeing the pictures he took :uhoh That DEFINITELY should have been top of the list. It was HUGE. Cant remember the exact sizes, but will never forget those pictures. The paw absolutely COVERED his whole torso, with him being RIGHT behind it...not in a My "SMALL" fish looks bigger when I hold it further out in front, lol. HUGE. He shot it 4 times with 7-mag to put it down. It ALSO had 5 slugs from one of the camper's 357 mag. One tough bear, I guess. Eh, I may get over my hesitations to go...sooner than later, I hope! IT WAS HUGE and devastating. :uhoh   
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2018, 06:30:45 AM »
:rock Figured you would say both :lol I always wanted to see Alaska. Had a chance back in 2000. One of my section leads where I worked(United States Gypsum..THE "Sheet Rock" mfr, had a brother that was an Wild life officer in Ak. He was going to take me with him for Annual fishing jaunt. Didnt get to go though, his brother was going to be busy running down a Grizzly that had killed 3 campers. After seeing the pictures he took :uhoh That DEFINITELY should have been top of the list. It was HUGE. Cant remember the exact sizes, but will never forget those pictures. The paw absolutely COVERED his whole torso, with him being RIGHT behind it...not in a My "SMALL" fish looks bigger when I hold it further out in front, lol. HUGE. He shot it 4 times with 7-mag to put it down. It ALSO had 5 slugs from one of the camper's 357 mag. One tough bear, I guess. Eh, I may get over my hesitations to go...sooner than later, I hope! IT WAS HUGE and devastating. :uhoh

Just take someone who runs slower than you. The other favored method requires one bullit. Shoot the other guy in the leg.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2018, 02:36:51 PM »
Just take someone who runs slower than you. The other favored method requires one bullit. Shoot the other guy in the leg.
Well, in my case I better bring 2 bullets. I can hardly walk fast due to motor skills being screwed up....so both legs out may give me advantage. Hopefully the other guy would be enough..to satiate the Hunger of said bear :uhoh Good advice, THANKS :rock   :rofl

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2018, 12:50:12 AM »

Bobbi and I had landed our 182 at this little strip near the Knik Glacier.  It's about 700' long and very rough.  Rougher than I wanted to use with my airplane since I didn't have huge tires on it.  We decided to walk to another strip I had spotted to see if it was a better choice.  I carry a Rem 870 for predator protection and as we're walking along the bear sign starts becoming more often and the Alders start to get thicker.  Bobbi asked the "what if" question if we bumped into a bear and I gave the standard no eye contact, talk quiet, move away and DON"T RUN SCREAMING.  I continued with "but I know you'll run screaming so run in a circle and I'll shoot him off your tail as you run by".  She didn't find that nearly as humorous as I did. :)

FYI that strip is the width of a Cessna main gear, about 8', so you have to be on centerline. 
Columbo

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2018, 01:01:32 AM »
:rock Figured you would say both :lol

We were just talking and we think the airplane was "more fun".  Sailing is a lot of work, the boat is slow and being on a small boat on a big ocean is physically demanding.  The airplane zips along and most airports have a cafe. :)

On the other hand you don't get to see things like this from the airplane.

These were large Humpback whales and they sway right down the port side only 20' or so away. 
Columbo

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2018, 01:31:52 AM »
I’ll shoot him off your tail...

:rofl
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted