Author Topic: Question about B17 Ords and Vil white flagging.  (Read 1139 times)

Offline RODBUSTR

• Nickel Member
Question about B17 Ords and Vil white flagging.
« on: October 07, 2018, 11:44:02 PM »
   Hi Folks, wondering, Can a B17 white flag a vil?  If so what bomb load?.  If not, Why use It I know B24s can do It.   Have a great day.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Re: Question about B17 Ords and Vil white flagging.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 02:39:49 AM »
Load one up and give 'er a go.

Backatcha

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 02:58:39 AM »
   Hi Folks, wondering, Can a B17 white flag a vil?  If so what bomb load?.  If not, Why use It I know B24s can do It.   Have a great day.
I have seen it done....but I cant do it. Then again, I dont fly bombers much and my line ups are a bit off. I can do it in Lancasters though...1000lb bombs tend to make up for some errors.  :D
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 07:19:44 AM »
The best method for white flagging a town with B-17s is to make an approach covering the long stretch of town head on.  Using the 500 lb. payload, fly over the town at least 8000 feet over target.  Calibrate and select single bomb release and place each grouping the best you can in the middle of the closest structures.  One pass and make use of all bombs.  The collateral damage from the previous group will help the next group.
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline 999000

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 08:13:23 PM »
Then get down on the deck and gun like mad!

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 12:44:51 AM »
Then get down on the deck and gun like mad!
:eek: Not everybody has your skills, brother! You trying to get SEALS CLUBBED?  :devil Or more targets :rofl  Miss you being GREEN, Bud! I see a set of 17s low...and I am like the Song Lyric...F this watermelon I'm out! I dont mind getting killed IF I have a chance  :rofl Quit rolling your eyes! Your meekness is just a front...you know you the MAN in this area :rock
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Windycty

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 03:10:46 PM »
I've done it with 500lbs bombs. Years ago we used to run missions with Floatsup using 250 lbs payload it it worked also. Like 9s said drop down and turn that B-17 into a gunship and get the town ack too!

- Windy
"Four fried chickens and a Coke"

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 06:28:17 PM »
I use B24's or rather used to use B24' to white flag a town. but the key is bomb drop spacing.

I've never used 250or 500pd bombs.
4 1000pdrs down 1 side 4 1000pdrs down the other side
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)