Author Topic: Time for a new Stick  (Read 2321 times)

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
Time for a new Stick
« on: October 17, 2018, 11:37:59 AM »
 So it's time for a new stick. My Ch Fighter stick isn't performing like it should. So the question is, do I upgrade to a Warthog (with throttle) or go with another Fighter stick.

Current setup
CH Pro Pedals
CH Pro Throttle
CH Fighter stick

USB/Win 10

All of these items are old. The peddles/throttle are 15 years? + Joystick is maybe 6-7 years old. The Joystick goes wonky in flight. Particularly in tight turns. it just won't hold.

So is a $500 Warthog setup worth the money? vs a $150 new flight stick?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Time for a new Stick
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 12:04:16 PM »
I had the same setup.  I got a warthog stick and still use my old CH pedals and throttle. Works great and is cheaper than going for the whole warthog setup when I didn't need it.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 01:15:50 PM »
I would not recommend a Warthog because the gimbal is plastic and wears out. The T50 and VKB sticks are better choices.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 01:22:01 PM »
I would not recommend a Warthog because the gimbal is plastic and wears out. The T50 and VKB sticks are better choices.

:aok agree
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 01:32:44 PM »
I have the VKB Gunfighter/MCG-Pro and it's light years better than the CH Fighterstick it replaced. Bullet proof construction, modern sensors and hyper configurable. Buttons out the wahzoo. But also $$$.

Also have MFG Crosswinds pedals. Again, far better than the CH and Saitek pedals they replaced. Much smoother with metal bearings and better sensors. But also $$$.

Still using the CH throttle until something else comes out or it dies. VKB is working on a throttle that looks super awesome but might be a year or more away from being obtainable. But when it is---$$$.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Force using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 01:42:59 PM »
The Warthog throttle is nice. No complaints.

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 02:59:02 PM »
VKB and Virple are great sticks, BUT if you want a new stick NOW it is probably not the best option for you. It is also a good idea to have an extra stick around if you go that route just in case. Spare parts take a good deal of time to get too. 

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 03:16:25 PM »
As for the warthog I agree that the plastic gimble will wear quicker, and is not made to be customized.  Aside from that it is a nice stick. I use one for a backup. Also worth noting are that most of the switches on the throttle base are toggle, so you will have to return them to the desired position after using one. I believe there are two momentary switches on the base. It is not a big deal once you are used to it but maybe a deal breaker to someone else. The switches on the throttle grip are mostly momentary
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 03:19:27 PM by Pluto »

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 06:22:28 PM »
 Thanks for the input. Looks like VKB Gunfighter, while a great stick would not be the way to go as the lead time to get one is undetermined. My stick needs replacing real soon.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 07:04:31 PM »
Thanks for the input. Looks like VKB Gunfighter, while a great stick would not be the way to go as the lead time to get one is undetermined. My stick needs replacing real soon.

Hey, I have several extra CH products fightersticks laying around that I keep just for reasons like this

All I'll charge is shipping cost if it will help you out....all I ask is pay it forward some day if you are able to

Let me know

~S~

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 07:13:12 PM »
Also, have you ever tried taking your CH products fighterstick apart to clean it up and tweak it with tension settings to the springs as well as clamping down on the wire connections/connectors for a firm connection?

Your problem might be easier to fix than you are aware of

Just saying

TC

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 07:26:44 PM »
^this. Not a lot of crazy stuff going on inside the CH stick. If the pots aren't just dirty it could be the little spade connectors on them are just loose. A little squeeze with needle nose pliers will stop them shifting around as you move the stick. Loose wires can have the save affect as a dirty pot. Springs are a hardware store item. About the only thing that really goes wrong with them is the pots themselves which are near impossible to find. Everything is easy to fix/tweak.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Force using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 07:39:04 PM »
Drano, brother...we are in what is called the digital/mellinial era of life...everything is easily found on the dark net

That is all I will post about it

Edit: but you nailed it with your post about how easy they are to fix, I was just referring to the finding potentio's

TC

(got them "Subterranean Homesick Blues going on with me right now, haha)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 07:56:34 PM by TequilaChaser »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 09:46:16 PM »
Drano, brother...we are in what is called the digital/mellinial era of life...everything is easily found on the dark net

That is all I will post about it

Edit: but you nailed it with your post about how easy they are to fix, I was just referring to the finding potentio's

TC

(got them "Subterranean Homesick Blues going on with me right now, haha)

The biggest problem I ever had with any of my CH sticks was with the actual hat switch activator. The plastic shaft would develop flat spots from hitting the button switches in the stick. I have tried filing a groove into the shaft and adding epoxy to try and get the shaft back to its spec size. As well as trying to build a steel shaft for my CH stick. While both options worked I lost a bit of the precision of the CH stick and so finally gave up and moved on to a different stick. 

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 09:57:27 PM »
The biggest problem I ever had with any of my CH sticks was with the actual hat switch activator. The plastic shaft would develop flat spots from hitting the button switches in the stick. I have tried filing a groove into the shaft and adding epoxy to try and get the shaft back to its spec size. As well as trying to build a steel shaft for my CH stick. While both options worked I lost a bit of the precision of the CH stick and so finally gave up and moved on to a different stick. 

That's fair enough, all problems are not the same and everyone that uses CH products have had issues through all the "USB port" years especially after they were bought out.....

Sometimes it is an easy fix sometimes not so much....

I was just trying to let him know to not jump the gun to fast...

Also, some people fly with small gentle control movement and others fly hamfisted and wears out the equipment

TC
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 10:00:41 PM by TequilaChaser »