Author Topic: Have you ever had to dumb down how you talk/explain things  (Read 1604 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Have you ever had to dumb down how you talk/explain things
« on: October 17, 2018, 08:31:35 PM »
The reason for posting such a question is because of my IQ and my youngest daughter's IQ and telling her that she needs to lower her talk to others so they can relate to where she is coming from....

I never ran into this problem myself after I turned 15 years old...a good few Blue moons ago...

But I do understand where she is at and it is crazy and scary all at the same time...all I can do is tell her how she needs to dumb down the way she talks to her Mom and Sister so that they can understand why and where she is coming from, then find a relating factor with it....

It is sure harder than one would think

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
Re: Have you ever had to dumb down how you talk/explain things
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 08:51:15 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 08:16:43 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 09:09:11 PM »
See Rule #6
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 08:17:27 AM by Skuzzy »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 09:11:30 PM »
I've been nice to you through all the BS, I would recommend the same

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 09:59:33 PM »
I think it relates more in the way people think/perceive things.

Im a pretty smart guy.... well Im no dummy  :D and when talking on my "expertise" (vending machine repair) I find that I "skip" the simple things when explaining to other how to repair the machines. Its not that I think "they" should know the steps I skip, I just ignore those steps as they are just that ingrained in how I go about the issues in the machines.

Its not so much that people have to talk down to others, its that they skip the steps that lead strait through to the end of the issue.  Your daughter looks at things in a more comprehensive way and just barrels through, where as your wife and other daughter look at things differently and so they cant follow the way she went.

Your daughter will need to train herself to discuss issues WITHOUT skipping those details that she would skip normally. Its not "talking down" to others, its not skipping details.   

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 10:07:38 PM »
I guess I should not have posted it as I did... That is just my simpler way of explaining/expressing it to my youngest daughter...

I've known it to be a problem for a few years now and was looking for some extra advice.....

Thanks for posting

Summertime Blues  haha

TC

(The Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas priest, 1967)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 10:15:04 PM by TequilaChaser »

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 02:26:42 AM »
Hospitals and Doctors offices have all these little booklets to explain disease, procedures, etc.  Ten years or so ago they lowered the "reading age" to 4 th grade level because too many people weren't able to understand the explanation at 6th grade level.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 02:35:20 AM by colmbo »
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 02:48:36 AM »
TC, it's just that you're growing old... No meaning to insult you here, I'm suffering from the same with my daughters, especially the older one. When I believe I've got some highly technical computer related stuff to tell them, the answer is either "get to the point" or "yea, done that half a year ago". Plus she's speaking so fast neither I or my wife can't understand half of what she's saying. Well, she's learning to dumb down her talk for us...

Just wait for getting grandchildren...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 06:28:05 AM »
TC, it's just that you're growing old... No meaning to insult you here, I'm suffering from the same with my daughters, especially the older one. When I believe I've got some highly technical computer related stuff to tell them, the answer is either "get to the point" or "yea, done that half a year ago". Plus she's speaking so fast neither I or my wife can't understand half of what she's saying. Well, she's learning to dumb down her talk for us...

Just wait for getting grandchildren...

Yes, I am getting older, that's for sure...but this is a serious legitimate question!

I messed up with the topic title and should not have been so blunt about it, I apologize for that....

I understand her completely and have been trying to help her with communication with her Mom, Sister and Grandma on her Mom's side of the family...

They all get so irritated at her because of how she talks or trying to explain a subject to all of them that it goes right over the tops of their heads....

I had both of my daughters on the computer before they turned 2 years old back before 1994 and both of my daughters are published authors before they turned 13..... The older daughter is into writing poetry while my youngest daughter writes sifi short stories....my youngest daughter was recording her own music at 2 years of age on Windows 3.0 all by herself without even asking for help in .wav format

My granddaughter is 3 years old (turns 4 next week) and she has been playing the set of drums I got her for her 1st birthday for almost 3 years now (I'm trying to get her interested in string instruments right now) she is also computer literate as well....(I drilled all my knowledge and experience with computers and building/fixing them into my X-wife and daughters so they can relate to me and they pick up easily on knowing if something is wrong with any of their computers...

I just get tired of being the mediator between them, lol....

I appreciate both your and colmbo's post! Thanks

~S~

TC

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 07:02:52 AM »
I have had to dumb things down to people to to the point of

Push this button to turn it off.
Push this button to turn it on.

And they still say they just dont understand how it works to turn it off and on. It is just a red button and a white button that says OFF and ON :bhead
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 07:41:17 AM »
Yes, I am getting older, that's for sure...but this is a serious legitimate question!

I messed up with the topic title and should not have been so blunt about it, I apologize for that....

I understand her completely and have been trying to help her with communication with her Mom, Sister and Grandma on her Mom's side of the family...

They all get so irritated at her because of how she talks or trying to explain a subject to all of them that it goes right over the tops of their heads....

I had both of my daughters on the computer before they turned 2 years old back before 1994 and both of my daughters are published authors before they turned 13..... The older daughter is into writing poetry while my youngest daughter writes sifi short stories....my youngest daughter was recording her own music at 2 years of age on Windows 3.0 all by herself without even asking for help in .wav format

My granddaughter is 3 years old (turns 4 next week) and she has been playing the set of drums I got her for her 1st birthday for almost 3 years now (I'm trying to get her interested in string instruments right now) she is also computer literate as well....(I drilled all my knowledge and experience with computers and building/fixing them into my X-wife and daughters so they can relate to me and they pick up easily on knowing if something is wrong with any of their computers...

I just get tired of being the mediator between them, lol....

I appreciate both your and colmbo's post! Thanks

~S~

TC

Sometimes you may be overthinking the problem. Look at it as " it's nice to be needed".  :D

Heck you could go all the way and get a black and white striped shirt and a whistle. Maybe a yellow flag or red card..... hmmm
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 07:52:03 AM »
TC, I don't believe advising your daughter to "talk down" to someone because they are not as educated or intelligent is a good thing. Even downright stupid people know when they are being condescended to. Tell her to speak to everyone in the same way, giving them the credit that they are smart enough to understand. If they are threatened by it, it's their problem, not your daughter's.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 08:14:12 AM »
TC, I don't believe advising your daughter to "talk down" to someone because they are not as educated or intelligent is a good thing. Even downright stupid people know when they are being condescended to. Tell her to speak to everyone in the same way, giving them the credit that they are smart enough to understand. If they are threatened by it, it's their problem, not your daughter's.

I do apologize for the way I bluntly posted/spoke of "talking down or dumping down", that is just a straight to the point saying I have a habit of using.....

I guess someone would have to see the conversation in real time to understand....

If she was to communicate in her regular way, the others just clam up and kind of ignore her and then starts the friction between them...

I try to explain to both sides in a completely different manner as not to make any one of the 4 upset or feel degraded, but to try and explain what is actually happening

Now, I've often wondered and thought that there might be some underlying issues that I may not necessarily know about between them, since they are all women, heh...

My oldest daughter actually gets it and is special in her own way... Their Mom and Grandma is a bit harder to find cohesion...

TC

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 09:30:35 AM »
Only when I post here.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 10:38:58 AM »
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown