Author Topic: Marston mat texture change?  (Read 2324 times)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Marston mat texture change?
« on: October 17, 2018, 09:17:49 PM »
Did the Marston mat texture change in the new release?  I'm seeing very strong moire patterns that I don't remember seeing before.  (Or maybe it's always been there and I never noticed....)    :old:

DX9
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Marston mat texture change?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 09:37:16 PM »
Did the Marston mat texture change in the new release?  I'm seeing very strong moire patterns that I don't remember seeing before.  (Or maybe it's always been there and I never noticed....)    :old:

DX9

Enough with the French!!! English please!

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 08:04:29 AM »
Marston is in North Carolina.    :neener:

Reminds me of the episode of Baa Baa Black Sheep where Doc Roberts finds the magic mushrooms out behind the infirmary.    :O
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 10:53:12 AM by popeye »
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 12:17:43 PM »
With this last patch the Marston mat runway on the small field has been doing an intense crazy Moirι pattern effect, more so than ever before.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 02:50:53 PM »
Looked a bit like those SPIRAL white and Black pictures, that when stared at seem too be moving. I have noticed...I quit Smoking, Drinking and Depression is better...HOPE ITS NOT Alien Hypnotics :headscratch: I also noticed a STRONG URGE to go to the store and buy high quality Scotch.... :uhoh
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 03:44:25 PM »
I don't know what was changed, but man it's not good.  I'm getting almost dizzy looking at it.   Even at altitude it's like a constant sine wave akin to some monitor on Spock's Star Trek TV series console.

:confused:

Definitely not a good look on my end.   Needs to go back to the old style until it can be improved.   :salute
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 04:29:28 PM »
I don't know what was changed, but man it's not good.  I'm getting almost dizzy looking at it.   Even at altitude it's like a constant sine wave akin to some monitor on Spock's Star Trek TV series console.

:confused:

Definitely not a good look on my end.   Needs to go back to the old style until it can be improved.   :salute

Sounds like they need mipmapping.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/MIP_Mapping
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 01:39:03 PM »
Sounds like they need mipmapping.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/MIP_Mapping

Interesting...…………..

If anyone is interested, you might try enabling anisotropic filtering in vid card driver (set to override application settings to stop driver from looking for application\game settings for this filtering) then set the level of filtering to 16x (max setting) to see if this stops it from occurring.

To date I haven't noticed any of this occurring on my end while playing but I have this setting active in my vid card's driver and have been using it for the last 4-5 yrs due to me running a test back in the day when in a plane sitting on a marston matted runway at the spawn point then looking either left or right view along the edge of the marston matting I noticed the matting pattern breaking up well before the end of the mat which was corrected when vid card driver-level anisotropic filtering was applied, which suggested to me that anisotropic filtering wasn't being applied\used in the game to realign graphic tiles (or mip maps) over distances to maintain pattern symmetry thruout your visual line of sight.

Something to consider...…………………………

YMMV

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 04:23:29 PM »
With this last patch the Marston mat runway on the small field has been doing an intense crazy Moirι pattern effect, more so than ever before.

Same here.  it is a little "intense".

Also I am seeing what I will call rectangular block shadows from the cockpit of some of the fighters (F4U-1D and Spit 9?) i ride.

=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 04:32:02 PM »
Same here.  it is a little "intense".

Also I am seeing what I will call rectangular block shadows from the cockpit of some of the fighters (F4U-1D and Spit 9?) i ride.

Did you hit your head on the canopy?     :confused:
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 01:42:13 AM »
Interesting...…………..

If anyone is interested, you might try enabling anisotropic filtering in vid card driver (set to override application settings to stop driver from looking for application\game settings for this filtering) then set the level of filtering to 16x (max setting) to see if this stops it from occurring.

To date I haven't noticed any of this occurring on my end while playing but I have this setting active in my vid card's driver and have been using it for the last 4-5 yrs due to me running a test back in the day when in a plane sitting on a marston matted runway at the spawn point then looking either left or right view along the edge of the marston matting I noticed the matting pattern breaking up well before the end of the mat which was corrected when vid card driver-level anisotropic filtering was applied, which suggested to me that anisotropic filtering wasn't being applied\used in the game to realign graphic tiles (or mip maps) over distances to maintain pattern symmetry thruout your visual line of sight.

YMMV

I thought^&^&he was trying to say psychotropic I was gonna say I'm there.

no no no  I just got this video card and I'm not messing with anything on it or in it or to it
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Offline Rebel28

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 09:37:01 AM »
Interesting...…………..

YMMV

As Pudgie says this will correct the problem with Nvidia cards with very little to no hit on frames.
4th Fighter Group
~ The Gunslingers ~

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2018, 11:27:12 AM »
As Pudgie says this will correct the problem with Nvidia cards with very little to no hit on frames.

Still begs the question, “Why fix something that wasn’t broken?”

I obviously missed the problem as it seemed fine before. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2018, 12:05:23 PM »
Still begs the question, “Why fix something that wasn’t broken?”

I obviously missed the problem as it seemed fine before.

I suspect it was not being "fixed". It is a side result of something else being changed.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2018, 01:17:58 PM »
I suspect it was not being "fixed". It is a side result of something else being changed.

D’oh!   *facepalm*
”KILLER V”
The Damned