Author Topic: Can I edit one of the terrain textures?  (Read 411 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Can I edit one of the terrain textures?
« on: October 19, 2018, 11:21:51 PM »

I think the terrain textures are great, but there is one I want to modify for a special purpose.  This is for an offline non/MA terrain if that matters.

Can you do that?  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

:salute,
CptTrips
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Re: Can I edit one of the terrain textures?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 11:35:41 PM »
Yes you can.
The instructions originally from the beta have not been updated.
You should start with downloading the defaults and going from there. I'll check to see if the url's are still around.

Sorry. The url's are dead. If I run across a new one that works I'll post here.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 11:58:17 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 12:24:03 AM »
Yes you can.
The instructions originally from the beta have not been updated.
You should start with downloading the defaults and going from there. I'll check to see if the url's are still around.

Sorry. The url's are dead. If I run across a new one that works I'll post here.

Thanks for looking.

If you found something, it might make a good addition to your terrain manual documentation.

CptTrips
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 08:39:58 AM »
Yes you can edit just the BMP files (textures). Basically you end up including the terrset you are targeting in your terrain. The AHedit will use the BMPs for that from there instead of the default.

Yep, I actually used the latest htcterrset.zip (I have to hunt this down since I have done this in a while and not sure where it is on my computer). The whole notes on the folder structure confused me so I tried a few things and came up with:

• Take the terrset00 folder from htcterrset.zip (tilesswa\swa\terrset00) and copy it your terrain (ah3terr\mapname\terrset00)
  • Make sure that the swa folder is present and has objects (ah3terr\mapname\\terrset00\swa)
    • Put the defset.txt into my terrain (ah3terr\mapname\defset.txt) - not sure if I really need to do this or not
    • Put the atlas0.txt into my terrain (ah3terr\mapname\terrset00\atlas0.txt)
    • Put the atlas1.txt into my terrain (ah3terr\mapname\terrset00\atlas1.txt)
    • Put the catlas0.tx into my terrain (ah3terr\mapname\terrset00\catlas0.txt)
    • Put the catlas1.txt into my terrain (ah3terr\mapname\terrset00\catlas1.txt)
    • In the terrset00 directory create a texsrc directory (ah3terr\mapname\terrset00\texsrc)
    • In the texsrc directory put in your replacement BMPs

I have attached my old winter terrain files that I did this way before Easy, HTC, and I created an official Europe Winter set. These files created a faux winter by swapping out the textures. They do not affect the clutter, object placement in the tile or the objects themselves. Meaning when I used this the textures were winter but the trees were summer trees. To change out the clutter and winterize things (in this example) it required making a new tile and placing new objects in that tile.

P.S.
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 08:48:11 AM »
Btw, you can do similiar things for overriding plane skins in the terrain. Basically you over ride the default skin for a plane by including the BMP files for it. This way you can say take a Boston III and put it into Japanese colors. This is only done for SEA terrains when we are doing plane substituions and want to try keep the immersive element for the event. You are not allowed to do this for MA terrains.
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 01:08:01 PM »
GhostDancer,

Skuzzy/Hitech were kind enough to update the first post here https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,387747.0.html

with a new link to the texture set. 

I'm heading out of town for a couple of days, but I'll try your procedure when I get back.

Thanks for the help!

CptTrips