Author Topic: Error pop ups  (Read 722 times)

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
Error pop ups
« on: October 22, 2018, 02:53:26 PM »
I'm getting "unable to open settings/file ahvoc.config", "unable to open settings/roomrect.cfg", or something similar, every time I use the radio or pull up the clipboard map.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Error pop ups
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 06:36:05 AM »
That means either the game is being blocked from creating those files, or they are marked read-only or you installed the game into the Windows "Program Files" folder which prevents the game from finding most of its config files.  That last one is due to Microsoft, nothing we can do about it.

If the files are there (look in the games "settings" folder), then right-click and make sure they are not marked read-only.

If they are not marked read-only then another program (anti-xxxx) is preventing the game from writing to them (Kaspersky, Avast, and AVG anti-virus are all know problems).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 06:37:49 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 12:23:56 AM »
I am getting the same messages and I just re down loaded the game 3 months ago and have done nothing to any file system in the game or my computer. it happens after being on the game 3 or 4 hours-I press the mic button and a lot of those messages pop up--or I select hanger and there are no gv's or planes's listed.  I log out of the game then back in and its ok.
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 01:36:43 AM »
As Skuzzy said, anti-xxx (-virus, -malware, -unwanted) program can break the functionality of AH - or any other program. It doesn't matter if you haven't done anything to any file system or your computer, they may likely have done something after an automatic update which they do on a daily basis or even more often. Not to forget Windows updates which also happen automatically in the background. They certainly do things to system files! And Lunatic, you certainly must have updated the game during the last three months in order to be able to play. Updating changes files and as the above proves, there's many variables involved in that changing.

Another thing that may be far fetched is using an SSD for AH. I understand that they update files in a different way compared to HDD's which is why updating AH on an SSD can cause issues. Does the same apply to the in-game micro updates, I don't know? Anyhow, issues after a few hours playing might fit into that category. Just guessing here.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 01:30:08 PM »
I just started getting these same messages too.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 01:44:24 PM »
Data patterns change.  Any anti-xxx software updating its database can trigger it, updating the game can trigger it.

Nothing we have any control over.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com