Author Topic: O2 damage to Reduce altitude  (Read 4688 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: O2 damage to Reduce altitude
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2018, 06:04:32 PM »
this is another wish to push buttons just for the sake of pushing buttons.  i cant kill x at x altitude so let's see if a golden bb will get his oxygen and he dies.

this realism that you guys talk about is just a fantasy.  we play a fantasy game where we are able to pretend that we are fighter pilots.  the realistic part of it is just in your head and i consider that a good thing.  you ever hold your breath while pulling g's while turning in a black out and you can feel your heart beating.  that's realism, but only in your head, that's the fun part of the game.  shooting an o2 canister is not, it's just a golden bb. a lucky shot.

semp

you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2018, 06:18:54 PM »
Wishes like this are about trying to have Hitech force other players to change their play habits to suit the person making the post. They are always presented as benign and innocent suggestions to Hitech as a how to enhance some aspect of the game. Implemented, this wish gets bombers down from 30k where players are avoiding being slaughtered by the vets who mostly dominate our roster looking for something to shoot at. Down at the altitudes most of them want to play this game, I've watched bombers for 16 years be slaughtered in minutes as a rule. I've taken part in that slaughter when some player didn't want to get altitude with his bombers before entering where I was operating. So lately bomber players have been violating 1. and in the mind of the poster he wants a 12. from Hitech to force them to lower altitudes. All in the name of adding some form of realism to the game, benignly and innocently. In this case the bomber players do not benefit, only the fighter players who don't want to expend the time and effort to intercept the 30k bombers do.

Just a thought, with the stratospheric bombers lately, why not have a potential damage to the Hi altitude aircraft's oxygen system to force it to a lower altitude?

The list I made are at the core of wishes for the last 16 years trying to get Hitech to limit other players to suit those who posted the wishes.

1. - force everyone to stay below 15k.
2. - not vulch runways.
3. - get in line to wait for 1v1 no matter how huge the hoard vs 1.
4. - get rid of auto ack and manned ack.
5. - increase icon range for GVs.
6. - remove squirrlyness of fighters and make easier to hit and make the MK108 a slow lazer beam again.
7. - return all fighters to their pre La7 dumb down states while dumbing down the Yak3, magic brewster and A6m.
8. - give the IL2 back F3.
9. - get rid of wirbles, even GV's in general.
10. - get rid of town resupply by vehical.
11. - code complex limitation algorithms to keep customers from doing anything clever in their own personal interests.
12. - code punishments for customers who are more motivated to be successful at pushing the limits of the game to succeed.   
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2018, 11:04:25 AM »
hehe 15k eh? the Rooks climb to 20k before they ever get to a base to fight=dead bombers.
there are a lot of fighters that can climb to 15k very fast=dead bombers.
heck the last high alt bomber run I made was 32k and a fighter still chased me down and killed my planes :-(.
if you don't want to lose bombers then don't take them up.
if someone wants to kill you're bombers they will chase you down no matter the alt.
and if you don't want to climb to 35k then don't.
but don't try to restrict others game play.
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2018, 11:09:07 AM »
Wishes like this are about trying to have Hitech force other players to change their play habits to suit the person making the post. They are always presented as benign and innocent suggestions to Hitech as a how to enhance some aspect of the game. Implemented, this wish gets bombers down from 30k where players are avoiding being slaughtered by the vets who mostly dominate our roster looking for something to shoot at. Down at the altitudes most of them want to play this game, I've watched bombers for 16 years be slaughtered in minutes as a rule. I've taken part in that slaughter when some player didn't want to get altitude with his bombers before entering where I was operating. So lately bomber players have been violating 1. and in the mind of the poster he wants a 12. from Hitech to force them to lower altitudes. All in the name of adding some form of realism to the game, benignly and innocently. In this case the bomber players do not benefit, only the fighter players who don't want to expend the time and effort to intercept the 30k bombers do.

The list I made are at the core of wishes for the last 16 years trying to get Hitech to limit other players to suit those who posted the wishes.

2. - not vulch runways.
6. - remove squirrlyness of fighters and make easier to hit and make the MK108 a slow lazer beam again.
7. - return all fighters to their pre La7 dumb down states while dumbing down the Yak3, magic brewster and A6m.
11. - code complex limitation algorithms to keep customers from doing anything clever in their own personal interests.
12. - code punishments for customers who are more motivated to be successful at pushing the limits of the game to succeed.   

All this from the person that manipulates the maps to accomplish his perception of what the games is supposed to be.

Now don't get me wrong Bustr, I appreciate all the work you have put into your maps, they are great. That being said, it does not mean your the de-facto Standard for the game. Lighten up, suggestions are just that, suggestions. If they are invalid so be it, as a matter of fact it would be interesting to know how many suggestions over the years have been implemented. Not many I would assume.

The O2 suggestion is valid, if damaged it would force the aircraft to a lower altitude.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2018, 01:30:27 PM »
I think pulling gees when bleeding reduces the time between black outs. Try to fly the last turn to final more smoothly...

Offline asterix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2018, 02:27:32 AM »
The O2 suggestion is valid, if damaged it would force the aircraft to a lower altitude.

But if I engage autopilot or trim out the aircraft they should continue on flying at high altitude even if every crewmember dies of O2 starvation. Were there any emergency oxygen bottles on the bombers that could be used in case of a main system damage? Was there anything on the bombers that could be used to repair the damaged oxygen system?
Win 7 Pro 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3,0 GHz, Asus M2N mobo, refurbished Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB, Corsair XMS2 4x2GB 800MHz DDR2, Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM HDD, Thermaltake Smart 430W

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2018, 03:00:20 AM »
But if I engage autopilot or trim out the aircraft they should continue on flying at high altitude even if every crewmember dies of O2 starvation.

Trim yes, AP no, unless the aircraft indeed had AP (did any  at all?). The AP takes workload of the player, not of the simulated pilot. Turning on AP  does't tell the plane to fly on its own but the virtual pilot. And that one of course requires virtual oxygen.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2018, 11:47:54 AM »
Remember the phrase “the madness of Il2?”
Pies not kicks.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2018, 12:26:14 PM »
Trim yes, AP no, unless the aircraft indeed had AP (did any  at all?). The AP takes workload of the player, not of the simulated pilot. Turning on AP  does't tell the plane to fly on its own but the virtual pilot. And that one of course requires virtual oxygen.

Auto-pilot does tell the plane to fly on it's own.  It's available to everyone and on all planes.
So if the pilot is O2 deprived and manages to hit auto-pilot, before he/she blacks out then so be it.  You now have an easy target flying straight and level (since auto-pilot was engaged) and now the pilot is passed out.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2018, 01:10:48 PM »
I've shot down B17s at 30k with an I16, got PW and landed before I bled out.   

You only get one pass and you have to plan your intercept properly.   

My goal was to down a b29 at 30k but have only landed a few rounds on anything that high. 

The point is that almost every single fighter in aces high can intercept planes at and above 30k.

If you see a B17 at 32.5k going over 300, then the raging clue is that he has already dropped most or all of his ord and not worthy of the risk to shoot him down.    Let him enjoy his 1.3 hour trip home.

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2018, 04:09:06 PM »
Auto-pilot does tell the plane to fly on it's own.  It's available to everyone and on all planes.

If you pull back the stick fully it doesn't move the elevator to full deflection. It just tells the simulated pilot to try to pull back fully. He may or may not succeed depending on the situation.

Most of the real planes did not have an AP. X cannot turn on the AP that the plane doesn't have. From the point of view of the player of course the plane flies on its own, but it's the simulated pilot doing the job. Loss of oxygen should affect that pilot, and with it the thong that feels like an AP.

On the selected few aircraft that did have an AP I do agree with your description of course.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2018, 02:17:04 AM »
Many of the Russian planes did not carry oxigen. This should be hilarious  :devil
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2018, 10:44:16 AM »
I would like a bag of spare parts to carry in.my PJ. I have perks to spend.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Dundee

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2018, 01:24:57 AM »
Why not create a master list of everything you want Hitech to change in his game.

2. - not vulch runways.

11 & 12 killed off the 49ers.............

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2018, 09:57:09 AM »
11 & 12 killed off the 49ers.............

So 11 and 12 on an imaginary list made the 49ers take their ball and go home..     perplexing.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)