Author Topic: What we have been up to.  (Read 30088 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: What we have been up to.
« Reply #120 on: December 17, 2018, 03:16:55 AM »
Download Running
Waiting Intently....

TC slaps mussie up side the head with a COD!

Shame on you for making me go looking for a download link, LOL

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #121 on: December 17, 2018, 06:16:15 AM »
Question for Hitech, will you allow an early account registration period for us veterans to secure our handles? Or can I ask how naming conventions will go?

Probably not since it's not marketed to us old dogs. I think HT rather has us play here and ppl come in by playing the free dumbed down dueling arena game.

But that's just a geuss.
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #122 on: December 17, 2018, 08:22:07 AM »
The web site reads like it will be US vs Japan aka AVA?

Start with a Zeke, Wildcat, or a Brewster, not the Finnish version  :D, and work or buy your way up to better aircraft?

Scripted practice missions against AI?

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #123 on: December 17, 2018, 08:58:03 AM »
This is good.

Just some more info from what has been said, asked and answered. And taking the straight point a + b = c

1.   The title banner and everything points to Japanese and American planes only. So, I assume that means no Spitfires.
2.   The title states Pacific points to only aircraft in the Pacific being used.
3.   That there is a P-40 in the screen grab. As p40’s were used from carriers. Forget that, because I read there won’t be airfields and by that I assume (tricky word to use) no Carriers. Though the clip does show a carrier liftoff (cutaway or intro clip I guess) – oh now I see. Its’ the Wildcat upgrade teaser video.
4.   No airfields mean you can’t land kills which defeats the purpose of running to attain “glory” which is good (no fake glory). But the teaser clip shows a strafing of an airfield (teaser clip from something unrelated again?)

Now;

Is it a furball or plano a plano?
If it’s a furball is it country based for strategy and laughter? That’s redundant I suppose. Japs vs Yanks – that’s a step forward.
Are comms the same, once again for strategy and laughter?
Is the game 200 enabled so combatants can speak to each other with respect and dignity - that’s funny in of itself.

Something that forces fights with no other purpose than to virtually kill or be virtually killed is about as good as it gets. If the AH3 flight model and graphics are used, more the better.
Then numbers won’t be a problem because you’re squeezed into a space, can’t land and hopefully can’t run. The running is pretty annoying really and most of the reason for the declining numbers.

All this taking fields and winning wars is fine in it’s place, but nothing replaces fighting. Cagefighting WW2 planes must be fun by it’s nature.
This will be fun.

Next try smaller maps consistently in AH3 to really force the runners from the game and bring back the fun.
And have channel 300 with no mods, but a disclaimer to tune.

he said no runways he didn't say no airfields

and I've never seen or heard of P-40's taking off from a carrier
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #124 on: December 17, 2018, 08:58:46 AM »
The Spitfire was in the pacific, someone above thought it was not.

(Image removed from quote.)

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22spitfires+in+the+pacific%22&rlz=1C1NDCM_enUS695US695&oq=%22spitfires+in+the+pacific%22&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l2.11168j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

SeaFire :airplane:

During the latter half of the war, the Seafire saw increasing service as part of Britain's contribution to the Far East Pacific campaigns, serving with No. 887 and 894 Squadrons, Fleet Air Arm, aboard HMS Indefatigable and joining the British Pacific Fleet late in 1944.[1] As range quickly became a detrimental factor in Pacific operations, Seafires in this theatre were often fitted with additional fuel tanks previously used by Curtiss P-40 Warhawks.[38] Due to their good high altitude performance and lack of ordnance-carrying capabilities (compared to the Hellcats and Corsairs of the Fleet) the Seafires were allocated the vital defensive duties of Combat Air Patrol (CAP) over the fleet. During May 1945, Seafires were used to cover the Allied landings at Rangoon for Operation Crimson.[39] Seafires were thus heavily involved in countering the kamikaze attacks during the Okinawa landings and beyond.[39] The Spitfire was operational in the Pacific Fleet right up to VJ Day, being used off the coast of Japan during the final months of the war.[1]
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 09:23:01 AM by lunaticfringe »
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #125 on: December 17, 2018, 09:13:07 AM »
and I've never seen or heard of P-40's taking off from a carrier

Operation Torch, Casablanca 1942. 33rd FG was ferried to the area aboard the USS Chenango. From the CV, they flew to their temporary base in Port Lyautey and a few days later to Casablanca.

In FSO, we ran an event that simulated this battle. The P-40F's had to roll from the USS Chenango in Frame 1, but could not land or rearm on it. For the remainder of the event, the P-40F's were based on land. Here is a link to the setup if you are interested: https://ahevents.net/index.php/fso-setups/38-mediterranean-theatre/1229-conquest-at-casablanca
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 09:17:08 AM by perdue3 »
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #126 on: December 17, 2018, 09:31:26 AM »
right-they were ferried, they were loaded by crane-and ferried then flew to their field but they didn't operate a battle from the carrier. the took off from a land based field.
I stand corrected on the take off part-but Mitchell's B-25's did the same thing.

lol funny how the tires look huge when a close up of them are shown.<S>

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #127 on: December 17, 2018, 09:35:00 AM »
cool pics by the way

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #128 on: December 17, 2018, 09:36:07 AM »
man you all gonna give HiTech a headache and drive him to drinking with all these questions :D

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #129 on: December 17, 2018, 09:44:34 AM »
And here is a picture of Devil5O5's P-40F skin he made for the event and for the community.

You can see this plane pictured in the take-off picture I posted earlier.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #130 on: December 17, 2018, 09:51:31 AM »
man you all gonna give HiTech a headache and drive him to drinking with all these questions :D

It is scientifically impossible to drive someone to where they already are.  :aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #131 on: December 17, 2018, 12:39:44 PM »
I hope he is close or has the beta up and running with some of you gents helping him work out the kinks. We may never know because he is not obligated to make it an open invitation. If it has the expected controller standard by the general Steam subscriber and easy to get into action and play. They will be exposed to the AH3 engine and graphics along with the physics. You gents will probably have to play it when it goes live to see if he includes something to point at AH3 as the full monti experience if they want more.

Too bad Capture the Sheep is not more popular, it's kind of like Fortnite crossed with AH3 to steal sheep. The He111 made a great sheep protection over watch while the jeep and M3 made great mobile forts when Hitech allowed them in the game. Hitech and Skuzzy were real mean to steal sheep from.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #132 on: December 17, 2018, 01:33:36 PM »
Too bad Capture the Sheep is not more popular, it's kind of like Fortnite crossed with AH3 to steal sheep. The He111 made a great sheep protection over watch while the jeep and M3 made great mobile forts when Hitech allowed them in the game. Hitech and Skuzzy were real mean to steal sheep from.
Im sorry, in no way shape or form is it like Fortnite or any mix of it.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #133 on: December 17, 2018, 04:07:01 PM »

So, if I am reading this correctly, War Online: Pacific is not intended at all to act as a feeder system for generating additional interest (and players) in the "broader game of Aces High"?
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #134 on: December 17, 2018, 04:21:05 PM »
So, if I am reading this correctly, War Online: Pacific is not intended at all to act as a feeder system for generating additional interest (and players) in the "broader game of Aces High"?

While it could feed some over. It is not a goal of the design.

HiTech