Author Topic: Attracting more players in the main arena or what ever it's called today.  (Read 30541 times)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Evidently the STEAM free to play aces High game is not attracting the flood of players that everyone was hoping for.  Taking a look around at other subscription based games that also altered their models to attract new members by offering a free to play account appear to be doing a bit better.  The difference as far as I can see is that they allow new free to play accounts to be in the mix with the others subscribers, thus adding much needed numbers to their sandbox.   WWII Online is a good example.   The free to play accounts are basic riflemen and can be nothing else.  While the subscribers have two levels of subscriptions a monthly 14.99 and a monthly 7.99.   The 7.99 has fewer game options available, with the 14.99 account having everything available.  Bottom inline they allowed the free to play account in their main arena to bolster numbers.  Perhaps HTC might consider doing the same for AH3.  Created different levels of subscriptions.   Basic first generation fighters for the free to play account and an unlimited selection for subscriptions.  Just a thought.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
They can achieve this by adding  the following:

Free account: Limited to a certain amount of perks points in reserve and a restrictive but no to restrictive perm ENY for non paying accounts.  They could also disable certain gun packages for free accounts.

They could also dangle the golden carrot in front of the free accounts by offering perk storage tiers as well as ENY tiers for those willing to shell out cash monthly for the game.

10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
Evidently the STEAM free to play aces High game is not attracting the flood of players that everyone was hoping for.  Taking a look around at other subscription based games that also altered their models to attract new members by offering a free to play account appear to be doing a bit better.  The difference as far as I can see is that they allow new free to play accounts to be in the mix with the others subscribers, thus adding much needed numbers to their sandbox.   WWII Online is a good example.   The free to play accounts are basic riflemen and can be nothing else.  While the subscribers have two levels of subscriptions a monthly 14.99 and a monthly 7.99.   The 7.99 has fewer game options available, with the 14.99 account having everything available.  Bottom inline they allowed the free to play account in their main arena to bolster numbers.  Perhaps HTC might consider doing the same for AH3.  Created different levels of subscriptions.   Basic first generation fighters for the free to play account and an unlimited selection for subscriptions.  Just a thought.

I really hope this happens in the near future.

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
I think this is a bad idea and I dont think the game would ever recover.You might improve your numbers initially but squads and events would die . Ive been playing with some form of this game for at least 20 yrs and never had a problem w the subscription rates. A fighter free-for-all wouldnt work for me . Ive played WOT for a while and thats exactly what that has become. A shootemup for 14 yr olds. This game sense of realism is unmatched unlike any platform Ive ever seen
       my$0.02

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
The biggest obstacle to new players is the 1-2 punch of $14.95/month and the difficulty of starting fresh against very experienced players, in a game that's far from easy to learn.

When they get vulched or ganged over and over - if they even figure out how to get off the ground, is it really any wonder?
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
According to HTC, new players often don't last past 20 minutes -- and those are 20 minutes of a free and unrestricted 2 week trial period.  During the initial Steam trial I saw many newbies sit on the runway, or in the hangar, for 10 minutes then quit -- never to be seen again.  So, it's not just about the price.

No matter what the price, new players need some kind of a "check ride" to sort out their controls and get them off the ground.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
There were 4 of us assisting a new player last night. He was enjoying himself immensely.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
Is there a way to create an offline mission that would allow for a basic "check ride" for new gamers?

10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
I think this is a bad idea and I dont think the game would ever recover.You might improve your numbers initially but squads and events would die . Ive been playing with some form of this game for at least 20 yrs and never had a problem w the subscription rates. A fighter free-for-all wouldnt work for me . Ive played WOT for a while and thats exactly what that has become. A shootemup for 14 yr olds. This game sense of realism is unmatched unlike any platform Ive ever seen
       my$0.02
If they did do the OP suggestion they should allow any player to participate in Special Events with whatever plane the event is using...the restrictions should only be for main arena play.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Is there a way to create an offline mission that would allow for a basic "check ride" for new gamers?

Not sure but I can tell you one thing.... I was enjoying the new person's excitement. Makes you remember how you felt a long time ago.

I will be looking for more to help.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
Re: Attracting more players in the main arena or what ever it's called today.
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 01:56:40 PM »
There were 4 of us assisting a new player last night. He was enjoying himself immensely.

When you can identify the new player this is a great way to get them started. Its usually very hard to do so. I would like to see a way to get into contact with them better.

And +1 to the OP

DutchVII
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 02:02:31 PM »
If they did do the OP suggestion they should allow any player to participate in Special Events with whatever plane the event is using...the restrictions should only be for main arena play.

Whiles that sounds like a good idea initially i think it would be bad for the scenario itself. New players tend not to know whats actually going on or dont give a crap and ignore the set rules. This can lead to much frustration during the scenario for the ones who organische it, the ones who would be a GL of a new player and just the general scenario player who understands there are certain rules to keep the scenario "fair".

DutchVII 
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 02:23:02 PM »
       my$0.02

Please re-read what I proposed.  I didn't propose a fighter free-for-all.  Just allowing the free to play accounts access to the main arena. 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 02:26:29 PM »
The biggest obstacle to new players is the 1-2 punch of $14.95/month and the difficulty of starting fresh against very experienced players, in a game that's far from easy to learn.

When they get vulched or ganged over and over - if they even figure out how to get off the ground, is it really any wonder?

There is much in the way of formal training that could have helped this game and that never happened.  HTC decided we didn't need that level of training.  What they have is the training arena and the offline arena.  But adding numbers to all sides would benefit everyone, even the baby seals, safety in numbers.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 02:32:05 PM »
According to HTC, new players often don't last past 20 minutes -- and those are 20 minutes of a free and unrestricted 2 week trial period.  During the initial Steam trial I saw many newbies sit on the runway, or in the hangar, for 10 minutes then quit -- never to be seen again.  So, it's not just about the price.

No matter what the price, new players need some kind of a "check ride" to sort out their controls and get them off the ground.

You are correct, they should be guided to the training either video or a trainer in the training arena.  There is no formal training available and but that is not the subscriber's fault it's just our burden.  HTC is the only one that can create a mandatory training boot camp but I doubt that will happen.  I'm wondering if the new WOP will have a formal training arena?  If not then the new player there won't last past 20 minutes either.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes