Author Topic: Attracting more players in the main arena or what ever it's called today.  (Read 30842 times)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Re: Attracting more players in the main arena or what ever it's called today.
« Reply #210 on: January 12, 2019, 07:57:44 AM »
Exactly my experience too.   I ran a string from a tree and sent a Mitchell down the string after setting it on fire with some gasoline.  My mom came and caught me.  Not too interested in the drama I was trying to create!

The thrill is still alive and well!

:salute
LOL Don't forget firecrackers!  I thought I was the only firebug on the block!   :rofl
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #211 on: January 12, 2019, 08:10:19 AM »
And Testors model glue, worked like Napalm! :banana:

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #212 on: January 12, 2019, 01:12:53 PM »
And Testors model glue, worked like Napalm! :banana:

Exactly... green army men, jeeps, tanks, all out by the fire pit. Set them up with a few dobs of glue. Thump matches at them and the war is on.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #213 on: January 12, 2019, 03:46:56 PM »
 :rofl Launching bottle rockets off them or putting them in exhaust...was even pretty cool when they "Popped". Yes, I forgot about that. Eh, was all good...he got shot down :devil Gi Joe's and Green army men HATED ME :rofl  Also,No Sis...no idea what happened to your RC Barbie Jeep :bolt: My love of bombing GVs was Early Onset AH Addiction :rofl
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #214 on: January 12, 2019, 04:23:07 PM »
Laughing and remembering this stuff is great!  :rofl
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #215 on: January 12, 2019, 04:55:36 PM »
Laughing and remembering this stuff is great!  :rofl

This could be the biggest reason the game has such low numbers. That kind of "activity" just isnt the norm any more. I know my kids never bothered to build models.... just the one time when we made it a family fun day... even tho I have been building models for years and even have a specially built "closet" that opens to become a "work station" for building models. The kids never took it up.

Today is more video games for kids "living" those adventures where we spent our time making those adventures. Once the computer game came along we dove in and have made it a part of our lives. The next generation has always had that opertunaty to disappear INTO those worlds.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #216 on: January 12, 2019, 05:11:06 PM »
This could be the biggest reason the game has such low numbers. That kind of "activity" just isnt the norm any more. I know my kids never bothered to build models.... just the one time when we made it a family fun day... even tho I have been building models for years and even have a specially built "closet" that opens to become a "work station" for building models. The kids never took it up.

Today is more video games for kids "living" those adventures where we spent our time making those adventures. Once the computer game came along we dove in and have made it a part of our lives. The next generation has always had that opertunaty to disappear INTO those worlds.

I have an S-3A Viking  AMT/Ertl  Wings Aviation Collection Model, I have had for nearly 30 years, been sitting and waiting to build, but now with my physical condition with Cervical Spinal Stenosis at the C7 & T1 Vertbra, my motor skills/hands would make it very hard for me to put together the way I used to build them... also, need to find the decals of the VS-24 squadron I was in, to make it like I want it....it has VS-35 decals

got any ideas? or want to assemble it for me.....I still have my air brush setup but figured all my paints, et have long been dried up/ruined.... first model car was age 4 50 Ford Tudor, then came B-17G, P-40, P-51, F6f-3 and about a 4' x 4' x 4' cardboard box loaded to the top with model planes ...that's where they ended up after setting on fire, army men blowed up, tanks and stuff blowed up, set on fire....

Dad told at 9 yrs old, that if I wanted anymore models, I would have to use my Tobacco priming/tractor driving money to get them....that he did not buy them for me to build, then destroy playing war..rofl

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #217 on: January 12, 2019, 06:17:33 PM »
Dad told at 9 yrs old, that if I wanted anymore models, I would have to use my Tobacco priming/tractor driving money to get them....that he did not buy them for me to build, then destroy playing war..rofl

LoL.  It's funny what first hooks us.

For me it was seeing the movie "The Great Waldo Pepper".  I loved that movie and became fascinated with WWI aircraft and read everything in the library I could find on WWI air combat.  I built a big cool model of a Sopwith Camel.  Rigging those dang bracing wires was a B*TCH!  I wouldn't dare destroy it.  It hung from my ceiling until probably maybe my sophmore/junior year in high school.  Then I noticed girls and lost interest in that airplane stuff for many years.  :cool:

About a year or so later, "Baa baa Blacksheep" came on tv and I like that too. 

I guess that's why my first love was always WWI, but WWII is a close second.

:salute
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 06:19:19 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #218 on: January 12, 2019, 06:57:08 PM »
I used to stage battles with my plastic models also which usually culminated in burning one or two. In the winter I would do it in the basement where my mom hanged the laundry to dry. Guess where all the soot particles ended up. My backside still hurts thinking about it more than 60 years later. :e
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #219 on: January 12, 2019, 07:03:03 PM »
You get some Snap Tite ships.  Once built, place in a bathtub filled with water for them to float.  Then, get a BB gun and take turns playing "Battleship" for real.
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #220 on: January 13, 2019, 03:41:46 AM »
You get some Snap Tite ships.  Once built, place in a bathtub filled with water for them to float.  Then, get a BB gun and take turns playing "Battleship" for real.

But... then nothing burns   :headscratch:

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #221 on: January 13, 2019, 05:23:11 AM »
But... then nothing burns   :headscratch:

Only way for naval battles is glue on ship for fire. Bottle rockets fired in water. Makes explosions and creates fog/most on water.
Must be done outside on quite day, no wind.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #222 on: January 13, 2019, 10:26:58 PM »
Only way for naval battles is glue on ship for fire. Bottle rockets fired in water. Makes explosions and creates fog/most on water.
Must be done outside on quite day, no wind.
Used sisters "baby Pool"...DID NOT KNOW an M 80..depth charges, would blow holes in bottom and sides :uhoh I do now...Mom and Dad BOTH got me for that one :rofl Missed every boat I had in it too. Was still fun, blistered back side heals and I had a short memory span :devil I found one of my planes, an F5 TigerShark(still have several been moved 100 times since built) both engine and exhaust areas are melted! Missing part of wing underside panel also. Figure the bottle rocket must have went pop and took it out  :rofl If memory serves, I put Model Rocket engines in that one? The "Chute Charge" in them caused the front engine melting? Pretty sure that one flew for a bit :devil
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #223 on: January 14, 2019, 06:52:33 AM »
I had a lot of model rockets and liked to experiment with the motors. Took one rocket and jammed it full of motors and ignited it. Went up and went poof in a glorious way, motors went shooting all over the place in the air. Still not sure of what they hit

Out of rockets (for some reason) and found a nice D motor. Being smart I found a metal pipe and decided to play ICBM. It did fly......went up slow, turned to the side, and shot straight into the garage. Put a hole right through the wall  :bolt:
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #224 on: January 14, 2019, 08:29:31 AM »
Maybe that first part ...."HTC has never been big on advertising." should have been "HTC has never seen a good return on advertising".

Once again you are incorrect. We saw a good return on TV and were running adds continually for many years. I have posted previously about advertising that didn't work, only to point out that find something that does works is not a simple task. We tried many forms of advertising before we found something that worked.

HiTech
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 08:32:38 AM by hitech »