Author Topic: Attracting more players in the main arena or what ever it's called today.  (Read 30847 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: Attracting more players in the main arena or what ever it's called today.
« Reply #240 on: January 14, 2019, 07:01:58 PM »
I think he copped out.

I don't really think so.  You might as well start asking him "when" questions.  :t

Look at what he does, not what he says. 

They are trying an F2P model in WarOP.  Would you expect them to try in in AHIII before seeing how that goes?
If WarOP at some point starts pulling in larger numbers than the nightly count in AHIII, do you think they would refuse to consider leveraging some level of F2P in AHIII?

WarOP proves they are at least willing to experiment with different revenue models. But I wouldn't expect them to go further than that until they have collected lots of real data.  HTC is very disciplined about sticking to evidence-based business decisions.  They are not just going to shoot from the hip with what pays their light bill. 

:salute

« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 07:03:43 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #241 on: January 14, 2019, 07:18:17 PM »
It is another game...  not AHIII. It will stay another game.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #242 on: January 14, 2019, 07:21:27 PM »
Are you guys defending your positions about something Hitech has made no recent judgement or announcement just to defend your identity against others doing the same thing back at you? Or, do any of you know what Hitech will be doing next? Hitech does not owe us any explanation to how he runs his company. Many of you have spent years trying to shame Hitech into doing what you want by making baseless statements to what his motivations are over almost every decision he makes.

Many have accused Hitech of things over the years as though they have been victimized by Hitech's decisions and are owed some personal reparation becasue they are unhappy. Some of the older members of this forum are sounding like they should start a #Metoo Hitech page at Twitter along with wearing funny pink hats and chanting "Hitech Meenied Me Too". Heck, look at all the adhoc forum hearings the vets start these days specifically over Hitech's fitness to run his company anymore. With people like that, who needs enemies.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #243 on: January 14, 2019, 07:23:34 PM »
It is another game...  not AHIII. It will stay another game.

Well, that's brilliant.  Of course it will stay another game.  It has a different name.  :rolleyes:

Are you now today, Jan 14 2019, going on record and stating categorically that Aces High will NEVER introduce any level of limited planeset F2P account into the Aces High Melee arena under any circumstances?

Remember, the interweb is written in ink.  :rofl
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #244 on: January 14, 2019, 07:47:06 PM »
Just thinking about all the different suggestions others have posted in this thread....and the following questions and suggestion came to me....

If HTC allowed the Training Arena to be "Free to Play" so new players could go in there and ask for help, how many of you would willingly log in to the Training arena just to see if that one player showing to be in the Training Arena might be a new player? And would you help them?

If possible, since there's no AH Trainers available 24/7, could HTC possibly code a key/clipboard button for the Training Arena...so new players can click on the button to send a System Message across all "Subscription based Arenas", letting players know that a new player is in the Training Arena and needs/is asking for help....

How many of you, would be willing to try and answer that new player's request for help?

Just a thought....

The Training Arena has no score and you can't shoot anyone down...so I think it's a possibility that it might help keep new players around longer.....

Also, 1 more possibility is if a new player subscribes, make it known (maybe by a having to check a box) to the new players that their 2 weeks will not start until they are ready to log into the Melee Arena, AvsA arena or SEA arenas

Just thought I'd throw that out there and see what everyone else thought

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #245 on: January 14, 2019, 08:47:19 PM »
Well, that's brilliant.  Of course it will stay another game.  It has a different name.  :rolleyes:

Are you now today, Jan 14 2019, going on record and stating categorically that Aces High will NEVER introduce any level of limited planeset F2P account into the Aces High Melee arena under any circumstances?

.... and being a different game, it is going to attract DIFFERENT players. In this case you would be comparing apples to oranges, so what works in WOP, isnt going to work in AH because it is a DIFFERENT game.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #246 on: January 14, 2019, 08:55:48 PM »

I do not think it will ever drop to that level.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #247 on: January 14, 2019, 09:02:57 PM »

.... and being a different game, it is going to attract DIFFERENT players. In this case you would be comparing apples to oranges, so what works in WOP, isnt going to work in AH because it is a DIFFERENT game.

What works in WarOP may, or may not work in AHIII.  I can't say it will.  You can't say it won't.  You can't know that.  No one can, not even Hitech.  They could get some experience with the model in WarOP, and decide if they ever want to try it in AH.  Only then would they know.   

I will say feature limit F2P accounts are not a new concept. It has proven to be a productive model in many games across many genre.  Many apples, many oranges. 

Their two nearest rivals, both persistent world, WWII sims, have permanent F2P account levels, not just trials.  (I won't provide the link here but I assume you know how to use the interweb.)

"Play Online Forever (Limited Plane Set)"

"Rifleman:  Free"

Never say never.

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #248 on: January 14, 2019, 09:15:26 PM »
seems to me maybe he should be working on CUSTOMER RETITON.  seems there is a vacuum sucking players out of here very quickly and not being addressed. 

the old saying stands true here, its cheaper to keep her. in just the two years I played I can see a decline in the numbers.  maybe with WOP hes trying to keep both ends of the candle burning inviting guys that want to fight in to that game and sand box players in to the MA of AH.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #249 on: January 14, 2019, 09:22:37 PM »

Well, I never thought I'd log into the main arena and see 160 players on prime time Friday night.  And then see players bragging about what a great turn out there was that night.

I remember when there were enough planes to blot out the sun.  :uhoh

Seriously.  What is your real beef with the possibility?  I honestly want to understand. I'm assuming you are not just an old fart "you kids get off my lawn!" who can't stand to see any change what-so-ever and everything needs to stay exactly like it was in 1999.  I'm assuming you have a thought out problem that you just haven't articulated.  Can you spell it out?

Assuming no laser blasters.  That is a red-herring.
Assuming this does not involve buying better G-tolerance than other players.
Assuming that they can't by extra horse-power that anyone flying that plane doesn't already have.
Assuming we are just talking about a base F2P level account that only has access to planes no one else flys in the main anyway.

Is putting more bodies in the main arena a bad thing?
Is flying planes in the main arena that no one has seen flown there for years a bad thing?
Is have more people out there telling there friends about this cool game a bad thing?
Is attracting more numbers possibly increasing the numbers that convert to pay a bad thing?

Can you state simply and clearly what the "bad" thing is you see?

« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 09:36:05 PM by CptTrips »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #250 on: January 14, 2019, 09:35:11 PM »
seems to me maybe he should be working on CUSTOMER RETITON.

The cost of retaining a customer is about 1/10 the cost of acquiring a customer in most industries.

However, Hitech has said himself that players eventually burnout and leave no matter what you do.  People get married.  People start careers or school. People just get freakin bored or find a new game.

This sim has a fairly unique problem where a scary number of the base are dying off from old age every year.  Think about that.

Without new blood being infused constantly, the existing player base with continue to evaporate until an event horizon is reached.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #251 on: January 14, 2019, 09:44:33 PM »

Well they have to do something. The only time the MA hit a sustainable player number is US prime time. All other times have such low numbers that it never really gets the game play rolling.

Heck last Saturday there were so many fights going on that you spent half the night in a gun  :rolleyes:

seems to me maybe he should be working on CUSTOMER RETITON.  seems there is a vacuum sucking players out of here very quickly and not being addressed. 

the old saying stands true here, its cheaper to keep her. in just the two years I played I can see a decline in the numbers.  maybe with WOP hes trying to keep both ends of the candle burning inviting guys that want to fight in to that game and sand box players in to the MA of AH.

Retention is the only thing that has saved this game. ALL games have player turn over. What keeps things going is new players coming in to replace those that leave. When we were running at 600 players a night new incoming players matched or exceeding the number of players calling it quits and moving on.

The numbers started dropping because AH wasnt attracting new players as fast as they were losing them. Now we have gotten to a point where number seem to have stabilized a bit. These are the hard cord players that will stick it out through thick and thin. These hardcore player are what have kept AH going.

Now we need new players. We need these players to be able to spend the time necessary to get hooked on this game, 2 weeks wont cut it any more. With all the options available out there why bother if your first day/hour is getting your bellybutton handed to you. Why invest any more time in it? You KNOW your never going to learn the game enough to be competitive in two weeks, why bother?

What works in WarOP may, or may not work in AHIII.  I can't say it will.  You can't say it won't.  You can't know that.  No one can, not even Hitech.  They could get some experience with the model in WarOP, and decide if they ever want to try it in AH.  Only then would they know.   

I will say feature limit F2P accounts are not a new concept. It has proven to be a productive model in many games across many genre.  Many apples, many oranges. 

Their two nearest rivals, both persistent world, WWII sims, have permanent F2P account levels, not just trials.  (I won't provide the link here but I assume you know how to use the interweb.)

"Play Online Forever (Limited Plane Set)"

"Rifleman:  Free"

Never say never.

LOL!!!! lets see....

WOP

air spawn, small area fast action furball, timed matches with options to play challenge match/tournaments

AH

continual world with multiple fields, towns, vehicle bases, all of which are capturable to an end game of win the war. 100s of fighter, bombers, and vehicles available as well as ships. Mission editor and team play. Air, sea, and ground battles avialable at all times, no waiting for a que to fill, just launch and have at it.

Thats like having a bunch of pick-up available and seeing hundreds of people come in to use them. If it works so well with trucks, lets give them the same deal with priuz's!

Totally different player base. WOP isnt a test ground for AH, nor is AH a test ground for WOP. the only thing they have in common is art and code. Even the flight dynamics are different.

Nope, the only thing I see transferring over from WOP to AH is those players that get bored furballing and are looking for something more. Sadly, I see more players moving from AH to WOP. Too many player are looing for a furball, fewer and fewer are looking to wage war.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #252 on: January 14, 2019, 09:52:54 PM »

LOL!!!! lets see....

WOP

air spawn, small area fast action furball, timed matches with options to play challenge match/tournaments

Completely irrelevant.

Nothing about what you said affects whether the limited planeset F2P account concept might prove to generate sufficient traffic to warrant trying something similar in AHIII.

Bringing over the limited planeset F2P account model from WarOP to AHIII doesn't required you bring any of the rest of it.  You get that part right?

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #253 on: January 15, 2019, 06:45:42 AM »

I reactivated my account several months ago. 

I'm currently working on the offline Staged Mission Editor and Terrain Editor waiting for WarOP to get up and running to fly more and get my wings back under me.

I used to fly as AKWabbit and have flown here off and on for 17 years.

A very familiar name. There was also a Rabbit that flew AW/Macintosh and AH1&2...with The Damned, as I recall

Silly wabbits

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #254 on: January 15, 2019, 08:56:30 AM »
A very familiar name. There was also a Rabbit that flew AW/Macintosh and AH1&2...with The Damned, as I recall

Silly wabbits

I remember a Wabbit (not an AK) in here many moons ago.  We used to rib each other about stealing each others name. Nice guy.  Sadly I believe he passed away a few years ago.

:salute
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 09:11:14 AM by CptTrips »