Author Topic: What to expect from War Online: Pacific.  (Read 37174 times)

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Re: What to expect from War Online: Pacific.
« Reply #180 on: January 12, 2019, 05:55:05 AM »
Lifes unfair
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #181 on: January 12, 2019, 01:08:32 PM »
Only if you are named zack1234.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #182 on: January 12, 2019, 03:53:38 PM »
Ok I remember reading it some where...The "White: You have collided with so and so" is collision on MY END? The generic "Yellow" so and so collided with you..his end? Or is it all the same? Either way, I die and he flies on, or at least longer than I can :uhoh Doesnt happen a lot, but when it does its confusing. Lately its like number 3 on the Rant List...200 greatest hits. Just wondering. The Wirb collision is really the one that got me started on this again...how can a plane live through that one :headscratch: That was definitely out of MY control...I know "Shoot him before he gets that close" :rofl
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 03:56:00 PM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 12, 2019, 03:56:11 PM »
The "White: You have collided with so and so" is collision on MY END?

Yes.

The generic "Yellow" so and so collided with you..his end?

Correct.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #184 on: January 12, 2019, 04:47:14 PM »
Ok I remember reading it some where...The "White: You have collided with so and so" is collision on MY END? The generic "Yellow" so and so collided with you..his end? Or is it all the same? Either way, I die and he flies on, or at least longer than I can :uhoh Doesnt happen a lot, but when it does its confusing. Lately its like number 3 on the Rant List...200 greatest hits. Just wondering. The Wirb collision is really the one that got me started on this again...how can a plane live through that one :headscratch: That was definitely out of MY control...I know "Shoot him before he gets that close" :rofl

The important thing to remember is your "reality", what you "see" on your computer/end is what matters. If you come diving in on a bomber and fire at 150 feet out into its wing and roll just as you pass missing... from your view ... the wing by inches, it will NOT be a collision on your part. The other guy MAY get a collision.... and this is where it sucks if your the bomber.... or a GV on the ground, if the other guy has a collision on his end/computer/view..... even if he is parked with his engine off in a jeep, it will be recorded as a collision and THAT guy WILL take damage.

Thats the only issue really with this type of collision model. You can be parked minding your own business in a jeep and some guy comes zooming in to strafe you and from your view he collides, but from his view he "just missed" and so flies away undamaged while your damaged/dead. This doesnt happen often, but it is frustrating when it does.

On the other hand nobody gets damage, or both take damage with this technology would be anarchy.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #185 on: January 12, 2019, 05:20:13 PM »
In the end, any game where two vehicles fight in close proximity, there will be collissions.

What amazes me is how there were not more in the real wars.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #186 on: January 12, 2019, 05:36:26 PM »
Maybe the messages should be corrected, to make sense under all circumstanes.

"There was a collision in your universe involving yourself and ..." and
"There was a collision in ...s universe involving him and your alternate self in that universe".

Or something like that.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #187 on: January 12, 2019, 06:10:01 PM »
Maybe the messages should be corrected, to make sense under all circumstanes.

"There was a collision in your universe involving yourself and ..." and
"There was a collision in ...s universe involving him and your alternate self in that universe".

Or something like that.

How about:

"Some dayz you git da bahr.  Some dayz da bahr git you!"

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #188 on: January 14, 2019, 09:49:13 AM »

You are trying to understand multiple realities as if it was one reality. Every player is in a unique arena that looks exactly like everyone else's but none have exactly the same player positions. Aircraft speed and travel time for internet data create positional differences. When those positions coincide there's a collision that involves players from 2 different versions of that arena. One or both may get damaged. It makes sense and it's the best solution to an unavoidable problem.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #189 on: January 14, 2019, 03:23:41 PM »
When you play in the MA for the most part that arena selection is telling the Aces High game running on your PC which "terrain.res" file to load. This is how everyone is playing on the same map each time they enter the MA. The same "terrain.res" is then running on every player's PC who selected the MA and entered it. The only difference now between selecting that "terrain.res" for offline play or online is the drones are being controlled by position and environment state packets the central HTC game routing server is routing to all of those connected PC's. That routing process along with the Internet itself introduces lag which causes the collisions to happen when you didn't see yourself close enough on your PC to have collided.

Some days it really sucks for some player becasue of this. Hitech and Skuzzy have no control over it, and often you have no clue what kinds of problems one or two routers along your Internet connection are going through on any given day. Big storms and presidential elections are known to create huge connection problems for everyone. Then add into that how poorly some Internet backbone companies and providers stay on top of problems.

An old wives tale that the HTC server can be swamped by connections from time to time and causes all of this is bunk. Because our PC runs the game and graphics, the HTC server never even breaths heavy becasue all it does is route packets. And if the HTC server is some kind of UNIX or LINUX, only Skuzzy tripping on the power cord is really going to effect it.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #190 on: January 15, 2019, 09:33:21 AM »
FYI, the text of the combobox over the skins preview window is editable.
I assume that is a bug.

:salute
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #191 on: January 16, 2019, 06:30:30 AM »
In the end, any game where two vehicles fight in close proximity, there will be collissions.

What amazes me is how there were not more in the real wars.

Maybe I should turn ON friendly collisions in the next Monday night madness. could be interesting! especially when 3 planes are on 1 guy! LOL

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #192 on: January 16, 2019, 07:42:42 AM »
Maybe I should turn ON friendly collisions in the next Monday night madness. could be interesting! especially when 3 planes are on 1 guy! LOL

LOL like pinball between those tall buildings.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #193 on: January 16, 2019, 09:02:36 AM »
Incase y'all haven't logged in to WO:P lately there is a new patch update ready!

one other thing, it said/showed that there was 3 inflight, but I was the only one showing on the roster?    drones perhaps?

Got to run, do Dr appt scheduling, so didn't have a chance to launch a plane and check if that is it or not..... typed on Ch 1 questioning it but got no answers

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #194 on: January 16, 2019, 09:06:20 AM »
Incase y'all haven't logged in to WO:P lately there is a new patch update ready!

one other thing, it said/showed that there was 3 inflight, but I was the only one showing on the roster?    drones perhaps?

Got to run, do Dr appt scheduling, so didn't have a chance to launch a plane and check if that is it or not..... typed on Ch 1 questioning it but got no answers

TC

I saw some numbers that looked mis-matched too and almost wrote it up. 
There is a refresh button on the Roster, though.  It may occasionally get out of sync with the other displays.

Maybe when one display gets updated, or the battle list combobox is opened, then all the count displays should get updated to ensure they always match.

[edit]  I just saw what you were talking about.  It wasn't just a refresh issue (the issue I saw before I believe was.)

If you are right and it is drones, then either they should be in the roster or not listed in the count.  Otherwise it is teasing you.  "There a 3 in-flight, but we are not going to tell you where they are!"  ;)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 09:22:50 AM by CptTrips »