Author Topic: What's the deal with stick scaling?  (Read 1708 times)

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
What's the deal with stick scaling?
« on: January 03, 2019, 03:06:04 AM »
Back in the day it was all the rage. I never really fully understood what the appeal was. Does anybody still use it? Is it worth fussing over?
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: What's the deal with stick scaling?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 06:17:51 AM »
With the more accurate sticks using Hall effect sensors and the likes scaling has become less important for a smooth stick experience.

Back then the player base also may have been more interested in tinkering with all kind of settings both inside the game and the peripherals. Do you remember people salvaging Fresnel lenses from overhead projectors to be used in front of their monitors?  :old:
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 06:44:40 AM »
Some people are more aggressive (read as "ham-fisted") when moving their controllers rather than being smooth and easy (gentle).... Those that are aggressive, use stick scaling to overcome the yanking/jerkiness of control input..

I, personally, never used it because I prefer 1:1 ratio (all sliders 100% across the top), and find that I can get more control input with less movement of the controllers, which also lends to having my controllers to last me 20+/- years of use, while others have the exact same controllers wear out / break in 3 years or less...

YMMV

Hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 06:59:09 AM »
I use it to help with the off-center movements to make them smoother and gentler.  At 1:1 I struggle when I am trying to line up a shot.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 07:40:51 AM »
I use it to help with the off-center movements to make them smoother and gentler.  At 1:1 I struggle when I am trying to line up a shot.

I can actually relate to your reply regarding why you use it, for I had similar experiences way back when I first started Full Realism back in AirWarrior in the early 90's... I didn't just up and instantly experience an immediate improvement.. I'm thinking that it took about 93 through 95 for me to completely forgo using any scaling...

That was why I posted "for me personally"... Everyone is different and what works (or doesn't), will or won't for another...
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 08:48:13 AM »
I use scaling along with manual trims for more precise control.   Not that it helps....   :D
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 04:38:36 PM »
Scaling makes the near center movement of the stick more precise. As you approach the limit of travel the stick increases the percentage of response and becomes less precise. This makes it important to understand trim, so that you have the precise movement where you need it.

I use a stick extension which makes the stick more precise without scaling so the response is the same from none to full. The trade off is that I have the move the stick further but that also adds realism.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 12:52:31 PM »
With the more accurate sticks using Hall effect sensors and the likes scaling has become less important for a smooth stick experience.

It hasn't become less important, with 32 bit controllers coming on the market, it helps to be able to scale the stick input to help control the sensativity of the stick.

"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 01:53:03 PM »
I stand corrected. Partially... As has been said, some like the 1:1 scaling. A precise stick and a steady hand is a good combination for those. A longer stick could help those with a less steady hand as the movement is larger. Scaling does the same in the center area, virtually making the stick longer.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 12:41:30 PM »
It hasn't become less important, with 32 bit controllers coming on the market, it helps to be able to scale the stick input to help control the sensativity of the stick.

Which controllers are you referring to?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 03:00:51 PM »
 :azn:
Which controllers are you referring to?

VKB controllers are an example of 32 bit controllers.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 11:08:32 PM »
Any others?

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 05:24:09 AM »
I've tried playing around with scaling and no matter what I do I can't get rid of nose bounce. It's why I miss most of the time.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 07:48:50 AM »
Any others?

I believe the Virpil sticks are also 32 bit. Both are quite pricey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group