Author Topic: Satellite Internet  (Read 3439 times)

Online Lazerr

• Platinum Member
Satellite Internet
« on: January 11, 2019, 11:04:27 AM »
I am at the very end of Centurylink DSL service range, it actually feels more like dialup.  Ive had this service for a year after buying a home out in the sticks.  Long story short, its slow.  This 109 meg patch for the game is currently taking me 30+ minutes.

Ive got some quotes on a few satelitte providers, and the prices are pretty decent for the speed being offered.  One was HughesNet Gen5, the other was Exceed or whatever the hell they call it now.  Is it worth it the difference of 30bucks from what I pay now? Is it flat out garbage to game on? I currently cant stream or anything, and satelitte would allow this, but I also dont want to lose my ability to play AH smoothly, which my current provider does fine with.

Just looking for some feedback!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Satellite Internet
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 11:34:38 AM »
For what has been told here through the years, satellite connections aren't good for a smooth AH experience. Supposedly the situation hasn't changed since the distance to the satellites and the speed of radio waves haven't changed.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 11:42:25 AM »
I’d stick with what you have. I’ve had sat. It’s not the best for gaming.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 11:54:39 AM »
Just my 2 cents. I have the best internet anyone could wish for and my download of the new game took half a day. Sometimes the HTC servers are not your friend. So it could be related to that.

DutchVII
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 11:54:53 AM »
With Sats the weather will come into play. When you are stuck inside it will also mean you may have no net.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 12:09:35 PM »
Just my 2 cents. I have the best internet anyone could wish for and my download of the new game took half a day. Sometimes the HTC servers are not your friend. So it could be related to that.

DutchVII
This...AH needs stability more than anything. I'd say DSL is slower but more stable than Satellite.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 02:21:01 PM »
no to satellite  your round trip time goes into space and back creating another blakjack.   blackhole of rounds and planes.   
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 04:17:02 PM »
Once someone gets their low earth orbit internet going, it might be ok ping-wise.  But geo-stationary sats are 1/10th of the way to the moon, ping is crazy high.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 05:03:39 PM »
The speed of the connection is irrelevant, it is the latency of the connection that makes satellite difficult for doing anything real time.

Satellite connections can have latencies up to 3 seconds, easily.

DutchVII

The servers have little to do with this.  The maximum download speed, per download, is capped at 100MB/s.  The server has little trouble delivering that speed to hundreds of connections at a a time.

It can be Internet related, especially for any overseas connections.  It can also be that your particular computer just has a problem reaching maximum download speed when downloading the "stdshapes.res" file.  We know some computers have trouble with that, but have no idea why.  It bothers us enough to cause us to look to other methods of getting that file to the system.  I have  yet to find a computer which exhibits the issue, which makes it nearly impossible to debug.

Many have reported simply canceling the download and restarting the installation corrected the problem for them.  The installation software is not something we created.  It is the Nullsoft package, which is used by a number of applications.  We just provide the script.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 05:05:48 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 08:23:59 PM »

DutchVII

Then you don't have the best internet anyone could wish for. I have Gbps fibre (1Gbps down, unlimited traffic, we use about 2Tb of data a month), what do you have?

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 08:32:58 PM »
some thing to look at are:

location in your neighborhood, are you at the end?

Do you have a lot of squirrels, raccoons etc

Have you checked the condition of your wires in your attic/crawl space?

how does the connection to your utility pole look?

there are physical aspects that can crush your internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 09:13:25 PM »
Are the squirrels and raccoons armed?
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 09:49:59 AM »
I am at the very end of Centurylink DSL service range, it actually feels more like dialup.  Ive had this service for a year after buying a home out in the sticks.  Long story short, its slow.  This 109 meg patch for the game is currently taking me 30+ minutes.

Ive got some quotes on a few satelitte providers, and the prices are pretty decent for the speed being offered.  One was HughesNet Gen5, the other was Exceed or whatever the hell they call it now.  Is it worth it the difference of 30bucks from what I pay now? Is it flat out garbage to game on? I currently cant stream or anything, and satelitte would allow this, but I also dont want to lose my ability to play AH smoothly, which my current provider does fine with.

Just looking for some feedback!

ok my friend-I'm know a little bit about satellite internet-because I had Excede for 3 years-service is interrupted when it rains, it sometimes does a auto reset at 2 or 3 am, I had 25mb's per second download-my ping rate in the game was in the 600's stayed around 650-had latency in gv's{ Kilroy used to get so mad hehe}I had no problems flying at least nobody ever said anything. maybe once a month or 2 it would just cut off, and I would have to call in. installation is free, they supply the steel post approx. 6ft. (hvy duty) and the cement, u supply the 1/2 gallon of water maybe less, they have you under a 2 year contract, if you break the contract it's approx. $350.00 dollars. download speeds where pretty good, very little if any buffering. just had that latency with gv's. I don't know anything about Hughesnet, it's not available where I live. oh and Excede does not do Satellite tv. but you could get a digital antenna, Amazon has all kinds of kits. hope this helps <S>
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 10:58:12 AM »
I used satellite internet for over a decade as a full time RVer. When we started out in 04 it was the only way to guaranty you had internet service as you traveled the country. I also became a hughesnet installer for other RVers and trained them how to find the bird when they parked and set up the dish each day. Long story short, the delay from transmission from the PC through the modem then uplink to the bird, which is NOT locked to your signal constantly, then down to the ground receive station which then routes it through their ground cable connection etc caused a latency of 2 seconds. I tried it on a couple of online games. I found that most often I was dead as soon as I "spawned", because to the others I sat there immobile for at least 2 seconds.

If you are going to "real time" game you must have a wire connection or use WIFI to a dedicated wired connection locally. Satellite will simply not cut it. Physics and the design of the system is not going to allow it.

I dropped satellite when the phone system, especially 4G, became very available where we traveled. using the phone as a modem (called tethering by the cell folks) by plugging in the USB charge cable to the PC USB connection, especially a 3.0 style USB connection made online gaming a viable option. I still had lags of 125 ms but that was far more playable than 2+ seconds. I was also limited by the data limits of the cell company. I bit the bullet and got 25 gigs a month  through Verizon. It was still cheaper than Hughesnet with only a 270 Meg daily download limit except for the times of 2 AM to 5 AM Eastern time. Hughesnet has changed their system somewhat and not is all spot beamed so not viable for RVers.

If you have 4G cell phone signal but it's weak, you might want to invest in a cell signal booster that also supports data transmission to make it a viable option for you.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Online Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 03:00:05 PM »
When i first moved in, I played using my cell phone as a hot spot.  It was okay, download speeds on any large file were my only complaint.  I think ill stick with my Centurylink after reading you guys' replies.  Maybe ill get lucky and spectrum will end up out here some day.  Or maybe they will upgrade the speed of my DSL.  I cant complain about the playability of aces high on it, i rarely see warping.