Author Topic: Satellite Internet  (Read 3429 times)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Re: Satellite Internet
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 04:41:01 PM »
When i first moved in, I played using my cell phone as a hot spot.  It was okay, download speeds on any large file were my only complaint.  I think ill stick with my Centurylink after reading you guys' replies.  Maybe ill get lucky and spectrum will end up out here some day.  Or maybe they will upgrade the speed of my DSL.  I cant complain about the playability of aces high on it, i rarely see warping.

I'm in the same boat as you...  I'm stuck with CenturyLink, because Spectrum doesn't reach my town yet.  About 20 miles away from it...   :angry:

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2019, 04:50:20 AM »
Lazerr, if you still can use the cell phone as a hot spot and if the rated speed is higher than in your DSL, using the cell phone for faster downloads and the DSL for a stable gaming experience might be a workaround. That's two if's there...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2019, 07:27:38 AM »
@Skuzzy

That makes sense.

Then you don't have the best internet anyone could wish for. I have Gbps fibre (1Gbps down, unlimited traffic, we use about 2Tb of data a month), what do you have?

The town I live in used to be the testing village in the Netherlands for fiberglass connections. I got pretty much the same.. although the profiler (lijbrant/Kadaka) switched hands which originally set it up and servers where moved. There server park used to be less than 2km away from my house. The company(KPN) that owns it now is notably less interested in expanding there fiberglass network. And is working to fall back on there old network and improve that. (It's cheaper for them and they got a monopoly)

Out of pure spite I actually moved to another provider this weekend. At the time I was downloading the game I still had the old connection. But so far this connection doesn't seem to be half bad and latency's seem to be low.

Vulcan the issue I have with your reply here is that it looks like your trying to talk down on me while I was only trying to point out a cause. Something I struggle only with HTC servers.

DutchVII
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 07:41:54 AM by TWCAxew »
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2019, 12:36:14 PM »
Lazerr, if you still can use the cell phone as a hot spot and if the rated speed is higher than in your DSL, using the cell phone for faster downloads and the DSL for a stable gaming experience might be a workaround. That's two if's there...

I think im going to give that a try.. good idea.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2019, 01:22:16 PM »
Where I live my current choices are wireless, satellite and dial-up.   The satellite is unusable for AH due to the high latency, which at times exceeded 10 seconds!  About 10 years ago I wanted to jump back into AH after some years absence, and bought a modem and used a dial-up account because it was the best available gaming connection for me at the time.  Now I use Verizon 4G.  At my home in the mountains I need an antenna on my room connected to a signal booster inside the house.  It is generally pretty good, with latency most often < 100 ms.  But sometimes it's bad with lag and causes discos.  I use a dedicated MiFi to provide a wifi internet connection in our home.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2019, 04:11:55 PM »
Vulcan the issue I have with your reply here is that it looks like your trying to talk down on me while I was only trying to point out a cause. Something I struggle only with HTC servers.

DutchVII

The point is it doesn't matter how good your connection is, it matters how good your ISP connections are. I don't have any significant issues with HTC, haven't had for the last 20 odd years. And I'm in NZ, about as far as you can get from HTC. Take mine for example, Skuzzy says up to a 100Mbps, but I only get 12Mbps. I know for sure thats a bottleneck in the many hops from NZ to the USA. Nothing HTC can do about that.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2019, 07:21:38 PM »
TWCAxew just an afterthought, if you are far away from HTC like me - try dropping your MTU size to 1420 or 1308. Your issue sounds like a black hole router is somewhere upstream of you where packet size and fragmentation causes intermittent packet loss.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2019, 06:52:50 AM »
Getting the most speed out of any connection that may traverse the undersea cables is difficult.  Those cables are hard limiting on how much data they can carry.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2019, 08:26:10 AM »
After ditching Dish in 2013, I started using my ATT wifi or if its in use...I'll use my cell phone...either way my ping is in between 70 and 100 and I really don't see any lag
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2019, 01:07:26 PM »
Getting the most speed out of any connection that may traverse the undersea cables is difficult.  Those cables are hard limiting on how much data they can carry.

Ummmm... Southern Cross (our main cable) carries 5.4Tbps, and we just got a new cable (Hawaiki) that can do 43Tbps. We often find the US is the choke point with poor capacity once we hit landfall. Those cables killed off the market for caching/accelerator products in NZ.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2019, 01:55:37 PM »
Always sounds like a lot when you talk about the bandwidth available, but then factor a couple hundred million connections and the number shrinks pretty fast.

Yes, the routers do bottleneck things.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2019, 02:36:58 PM »
Always sounds like a lot when you talk about the bandwidth available, but then factor a couple hundred million connections and the number shrinks pretty fast.

Yes, the routers do bottleneck things.

Well that's 12Mbps of raw international bandwidth for every man woman and child in NZ (including babies)  :devil  . Plus we have CDN pops so content like youtube and facebook don't use that bandwidth much. My Steam updates come down at around 300-400Mbps, and NNTP downloads from Europe at around the same (I switched to European NNTP servers as the US ones are the bottleneck, even though Europe is further away).

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2019, 02:47:40 PM »
Yes, we know the U.S. Internet infrastructure sucks.  The amount of money it is going to take to upgrade the entire U.S. infrastructure could buy New Zealand and still have quite a bit of chance left over to fix our dang bridges.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2019, 03:52:25 PM »
Thank you i will consider that. I don't feel like dragging this on and i will fade away *i hope*. I didn't ment to hijack the tread..

DutchVII
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2019, 06:34:04 PM »
Yes, we know the U.S. Internet infrastructure sucks.  The amount of money it is going to take to upgrade the entire U.S. infrastructure could buy New Zealand and still have quite a bit of chance left over to fix our dang bridges.

I thought between your chinese debts and the new wall you guys were about broke? Isn't everything close over there?

:bolt: