Author Topic: Need Help with Werbelwind  (Read 3861 times)

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
Need Help with Werbelwind
« on: January 21, 2019, 02:06:19 PM »
I get some kills with a Wirbel but not nearly as others I see and would appreciate tips on how to get more kills. A long time ago using the .target I determined that the max range was 1500 so I never shoot at a plane more than 1.5 out. I have no trouble hitting planes making shallow dives straight at me but hits with deflection shots are pretty much pure luck.

Years ago I recall learning that the best head position was as high as it could go using the page up key and fully forward using the up arrow key. So the gun sight is below my view. (I use a plastic overly on my monitor to mark the center and various ranges.) Is that the best head position? I like it because nothing obscured my view and the bullet stream is right on the center mark and falls off with distance.

I usually zoom to the max to shoot. A buddy has told me he doesn't zoom at all. I have no feel for how much to lead so just watch where my shots are going and adjust accordingly. Is there a better way? 

I used the Panzer ranging system to determine the ranges for the marks on my overlay and confirmed the ranges using .target back in AH2. I assume they haven't changed. Yet when I shoot using my ranged marks at a plane that distance away I often see that my shots are over or under.

Any advice on how to do better will be much appreciated.
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Re: Need Help with Werbelwind
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 03:27:26 PM »
Yes,frustrating! Bustr has a revised sight he made the markings are green and easier to see. I wish I knew right off hand where to point you for that download :uhoh Its deWirbelG1 , I use it. The first mark is for 1K. it takes way more lead than you think. My technique is more like "Wing Shooting", I start swinging at what i feel is good lead spot and swing through, using the Green line on sight to gauge elevation. Its really just a feels right guess and seat time is every thing. Pretty much like every thing else we do in AH. As for head position, I use VR and still keep my head at default. That being said the bad guy is only inside that sight on a head on shot. May want to PM Bustr for his gunsights? I dont know? It may be in our sight folders by default? Dont think so, but I am wrong a lot :rock
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 05:28:13 PM »
Did you download that offline terrain I gave you. Get in a wirble and spawn S and you will be up on the mesa minimum 800 from the drones. Turn on the lead computing gunsight and see how to aim. You will be amazed at how off your assumptions of aiming in a wirble are.

Extract all files into your game sights folder.

G\R wirble and G osti :    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AEtuL-4IQL3xdMFGOtviokgeEvGCyivb
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 08:58:49 PM »
Thanks Bustr. I got your map and had already tried the wirbel spawn but didn't know the leas computing gunsight could be turned on. Got it on and it helps. I put your sights in the folder but they don;t seem to be available with the other sights on the clipboard.   

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 10:45:32 PM »
Did you place all six of those files in the sights folder?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 11:19:52 PM »
Yes.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 01:04:32 AM »
 :aok Thanks for baling me out on this one,Bustr! I knew you would see this and chime in  :salute
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 07:05:48 AM »
Bustr what's the name of your map? I may already have. In case I don't, where can I find it?

Thanks  :aok

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 09:18:46 AM »
Bustr what's the name of your map? I may already have. In case I don't, where can I find it?

ummm, maybe click on the link in his post up there?   :D

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 10:25:53 AM »
The link is for the gun sights  :neener:

Offline asterix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 03:04:47 PM »
Towards the end of Aces High 2 I got pretty good at ground and bomber defensive gunnery (in my opinion). Most of it is lost when I returned to AH3 after a break. One tip is to look at the film recording when you still remember where you aimed and see from enemy view where tracers go. I stopped playing with zoom and although used it on some occasions, instead tried to use consistent setting that would suit me most occasions.

I only used stock gunsights and no overlays. Gunsight for initial lead position, fired couple of tracers longer out than max range so tracers and aircraft would meet at max range or so, then raised my head clear and kept fixated on the target and made corrections based where target and tracers met. Peripheral vision shows you the tracer stream. Correcting via tracers gets complicated when there are a lot of other guns firing.

I had found a document online that discussed using tracers similar to the following video (without the bottle of Guinness Stout though), but lost it.

There were some simple thumb rules how to correct fire with descending targets etc and something about tracers rising up or lowering down and a diving target.

As a gamey tactic I sometimes aimed a high rate of fire weapon with a mouse and shook it a little to give wider dispersal.
Win 7 Pro 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3,0 GHz, Asus M2N mobo, refurbished Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB, Corsair XMS2 4x2GB 800MHz DDR2, Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM HDD, Thermaltake Smart 430W

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 03:31:41 PM »

Download this zip file from my google drive. Unzip it into your ah3terr folder. Then choose oflintrn as your offline mode terrain. Once in, go into the arena setup and unselect protect objects. Then you can destroy everything destroy-able on the terrain set to the same hardness as in the MA.

You will have bomber air starts of many alts beginning at 15,000 along with fighter air starts to chase drones or jabo. Spawn a wirble S and you will be up on the mesa and 800 from the drones to practice shooting them. Fill the drone slots with tanks then spawn N or E and you will be 2500 out to shoot at the drone tanks. Or at the N vbase just choose "guns ship or field" and hit the spawn button. You will be in a 17lb north of the vbase to shoot at tank drones. Do the same at the east vbase and you will be in an 88 to do the same, remember to switch to AP ammo. There are extra 88 at A1 to practice shooting at bombers from long range and an extra 37 on the mesa to practice against the drones.

Have fun:   https://drive.google.com/open?id=17sYLdxWYZTy1cjeKrB_G9y_mX7GDRzDK
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 03:38:39 PM »
Condor,

If the 6 files are in the sights folder then in the gunsight selection app you should be able to see at least the "name.bmp" files. Are you seeing those? Are you selecting your gunsight for the Pilot1 position...

Is anyone else who downloaded the gunsights having Condor's problem?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 07:41:16 PM »
I had found a document online that discussed using tracers similar to the following video (without the bottle of Guinness Stout though)

Heh.  That's a great film.  Especially if you like to laugh at the way Englishmen talk. 

"Those of you who have been to sea and have experienced low-flying aircraft attacks will know how infuriating such attacks can be."

Widely shared, thanks.

- oldman

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2019, 07:35:18 PM »
Condor,

If the 6 files are in the sights folder then in the gunsight selection app you should be able to see at least the "name.bmp" files. Are you seeing those? Are you selecting your gunsight for the Pilot1 position...

Is anyone else who downloaded the gunsights having Condor's problem?

I downloaded your sight just after condor posted and your reply and I had no problem.  I did place it in the pilot and #1 gun position on the wirb and osti.  Maybe I didn't need to place it in the #1 gun position (shrugs) but it works fine I think.

One-eye
"One-Eye"