Author Topic: Bombing questions...  (Read 742 times)

-Catman-

Bombing questions...
« on: January 25, 2000, 10:31:00 AM »
As many of you know I'm new to this sim and I never played WB.  I've been playing as much as I could without the wife getting too pissed. *grin*.

I can now bomb my targets on a regular basis but I don't know what to drop on each target.

How many bombs and of what size does it take to kill a ACK gun everytime on a single pass?

What about the rest of the buildings?

Do bombs do "splash" damage?

Can cannons (like 20mm)destroy any ground targets at a base?  I've strafed and strafed but never blow anything up unless it's a plane.  If cannons CAN actually destroy buildings can the 50cals do the same thing (strafing with B26 after eggs gone)?

Catman  

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Bombing questions...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2000, 10:40:00 AM »
I wouldn't strafe Gun positions if I were you, I asked this question recently and was answered a single word : Suicide...

Bombs : for The buildings take some 1000lb bombs (the HQ takes 10K I think) and for the ACK ACKs a single 100lb should be enough...

I dunno about the Splash Damage, I am a fighter pilot (to be, still learning...) and only did a few bombing runs...

------------------
Saint
DCO 186th Wardogs (Falcon4 Squad)
 http://www.wardogs.org/
"Firepower Mate, that is what separates the men from the boys..."
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline BaneX

• Zinc Member
Bombing questions...
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2000, 12:01:00 PM »
In reference to the splash damage, I do believe there is splash damage when bombing. I use 500 pounders exclusively and as long as I hit pretty close to the target it is still destroyed. I may be wrong so correct me if I am.

BaneX
=357th Pony Express=

-Catman-

Bombing questions...
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2000, 01:22:00 PM »

Originally posted by BaneX:
In reference to the splash damage, I do believe there is splash damage when bombing. I use 500 pounders exclusively and as long as I hit pretty close to the target it is still destroyed. I may be wrong so correct me if I am.

BaneX
=357th Pony Express=

Is that 1 500lb for anything?  Meaning does the ammo bunker take 1 500lb to destroy, the same as 1 500lb for a AAA gun?

It seems I'm not the only one that does not know for sure.  Has this info never been published?  

Thanks for the help!

Catman

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Bombing questions...
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2000, 04:40:00 PM »
I also use 500s all the time (except for HQ's).  With a 500, you can destroy any base target (except runway) with one direct hit.  The acks can be destoyed by hitting anywhere near them.  Just about everything else needs a direct hit to be destroyed.

Offline dolomite

• Zinc Member
Bombing questions...
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2000, 05:48:00 PM »
500lb's only here. As mentioned before, any airfield target dies with one direct hit. Bases lose ack and barracks in four passes at the most.

Why would anyone waste a bomb on a runway? I doubt the defenders care whether the runway is there or not; I know I don't.