Author Topic: What was your favorite weekly event in AW?  (Read 1175 times)

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
What was your favorite weekly event in AW?
« on: October 27, 2001, 10:51:00 PM »
Not that I would beg, borrow, or steal, but I am all ears.  :)  We have a good weekly events team and just recruited several new CM's a few weeks ago.  If you have any suggestions post them here.

Much of our TOD was patterned after the S3's in Warbirds with help from the crew over there answering some of my questions. I would like to hear what your favorite event was in Air Warrior and why.
----------------------
CM CO daddog
332nd Flying Mongrels
TOD & Snapshots
Noses in the wind since 1997.

Our obligations to our country never cease but with our lives.
John Adams, 1808
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2001, 11:20:00 PM »
Warnight was good (basically a "single frame event") KOTH wasn't bad (King of the Hill - no not the cartoon).

Then there was Saturday night at the Spanish Bordello!  :D

Originally posted by daddog:
Not that I would beg, borrow, or steal, but I am all ears.   :)  We have a good weekly events team and just recruited several new CM's a few weeks ago.  If you have any suggestions post them here.

Much of our TOD was patterned after the S3's in Warbirds with help from the crew over there answering some of my questions. I would like to hear what your favorite event was in Air Warrior and why.
----------------------
CM CO daddog
332nd Flying Mongrels
TOD & Snapshots
Noses in the wind since 1997.
  (Image removed from quote.)  
Our obligations to our country never cease but with our lives.
John Adams, 1808

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2001, 12:34:00 AM »
KOTH is monthly; not weekly....

Warnights are pretty much covered by Snapshots, when, if and depending on how well they're run (YMMV)

There's a kind of Squad KOTH called TOD that seems popular, and it seems that that may be offered in Euro friendly timings, but it's hard to tell, as the events team don't seem to know what Euro timings are (they call it "Eastern"; but we don't actually have that one..)

They've tried a scenario this year, and screwed the pooch. Despite custom terrains and the allure of playing with genuinely militarily trained people and being part of a living research work in combat communication dynamics, it was so shoddily /unfriendly/unhelpfully ran they ended up short on players even in the current event starved climate.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2001, 12:43:00 AM »
*Chuckle* Well! There ya go! The experienced AW players have absolutely nothing to offer!  ;)

Thanks, Seeker. The pressure's off.  :D

Originally posted by Seeker:

Warnights are pretty much covered by Snapshots, when, if and depending on how well they're run (YMMV)

There's a kind of Squad KOTH called TOD that seems popular, and it seems that that may be offered in Euro friendly timings, but it's hard to tell, as the events team don't seem to know what Euro timings are (they call it "Eastern"; but we don't actually have that one..)

They've tried a scenario this year, and screwed the pooch. Despite custom terrains and the allure of playing with genuinely militarily trained people and being part of a living research work in combat communication dynamics, it was so shoddily /unfriendly/unhelpfully ran they ended up short on players even in the current event starved climate.

Offline AN

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2001, 01:03:00 AM »
There weren't really any weekly events in AW, except for sunday afternoon Warnights.  With all the scenarios, I don't think people were concerned too much with weekly events.  

Warnights were run by LW, and were most similar to the CheckSix events.  Most of the time, they had a historical theme, with goals/objectives, and a winning side.  There was no registration, you could just show up and fly.  There were usually limited lives controlled by the host--most often 3 lives with a 30 minute regen.  One of my most memorable, most immersive online experiences ever--including all the scenarios I've ever flown--was during a Malta warnight (designed by Fidd, I think).  

There was also a very popular monthly event that started with a bunch of guys messing around in the fightertown arena, called King of the Hill (KOTH).  KOTHs were a series each-man-for-himself battles, where the last man standing was the winner, and the first to win three times was King of the Hill for that month.  Many of the very good sticks *loved* KOTH--but anyone could win.  The more well-known you are as a good stick, the bigger target you become.

In addition, for a while there was a nightly type event called an auto-scenario.  Auto-scenarios were an attempt by Kesmai to create an automated arena that would run pre-designed missions two times a night.  The arena would open 30 minutes before the mission, and you would show up and pick from the many flights available (much like the mission planner in AH).  Everyone would be launched at the same time (much like the mission planner in AH), and the battle would start.  Usually, one side would have a major objective, and the other side would have to try to stop them--although there were also minor objectives.  Auto-scenarios were a big hit at first, but died because there were major programming bugs that were never fixed.  I was even a member in a 'auto-scenario squad' that formed around a bunch of us auto-scenario junkies (a few who have now been in AH for awhile, and a few who are just now showing up)  TODs 'feel' very much to me like auto-scenarios did in their heyday.

And occasionally (rarely) Mage would set up an arena to be sorta like a 'weekend warnight'  More or less an AvA arena (or Combat Theater, or Historical Arena) setup, just for the weekend.  

But for me, all that really mattered was the scenarios.  When I would fly in Big Pac (ie. the MA), it would always be to practice my ride for the upcoming scenario.  If there was a period between scenarios that I didn't at least have a vague idea what I would be flying in (or against) my whole AW existance would be purposeless (much the way I feel in AH most of the time)

Enjoy the book!

anRky OGCG

UBB SUCKS PURPLE MONKEY BALLS!

[ 10-28-2001: Message edited by: AN ]

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2001, 01:12:00 AM »

ouch.

I don't think that answers Daddogs original question. You're coming off pretty harsh towards the CM team which is comprised of a group of people working a helluva lot harder then any of us players do.
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2001, 01:16:00 AM »
"I would like to hear what your favorite event was in Air Warrior and why."

;)

Originally posted by moose:

ouch.

I don't think that answers Daddogs original question. You're coming off pretty harsh towards the CM team which is comprised of a group of people working a helluva lot harder then any of us players do.

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2001, 01:23:00 AM »

US Eastern standard time is GMT-5.  The plan for "Euro-friendly" TOD mentioned here states 3 PM EST Saturday.  This translates to 2000 GMT Saturday.

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2001, 01:26:00 AM »
arlo,

that response of mine was directed at seeker.
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2001, 01:50:00 AM »
And a good response it was. You're right, he probably has a better response to your response than I did.

Damn these public forums that give the impression that anyone can respond to anyone over anything, right or wrong!  :D

Originally posted by moose:
arlo,

that response of mine was directed at seeker.

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2001, 01:58:00 AM »
Back to the REAL topic.

There are alot of AW pilots headed this way.  I personally have NO experience with AW and have no idea what was done there.

I am interested to know what you folks think ...

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2001, 02:17:00 AM »
KOTH, though not weekly, was definately an awesome event.  

Plus there was no shortage of historical scenarios, the vast majority of which were great (at least the ones I took part in always were, and from what I understand I missed most of the REALLY good ones).

NOTE:  You don't HAVE to have specific planes to have a great scenario--substitutions CAN and DO work just fine.  "We don't have the planeset" is a horrible, lousy, terrible, pathetic, wicked, miserable, sad, worthless, crappy, and downright wrong excuse not to have an event.

Plus there was a variety of various other "fun" events and warnights, some historical, some not.  Granted, AW had the variety of WW1 and Korea timeframes to use as well as WW2 (MIGs vs Sabres rocks!) , but AH has no shortage of options available to it.  

You just have to open your mind, and not fear "failure", and not always be limited to strict "historical accuracy".  This is an internet game, not a historical society, so don't be afraid to have some fun and try new things--the worst that can happen to an event is nobody show up.   If it seems interesting, give it a try--THAT was the attitude that AW's event leaders had.  Some events worked, some didn't--but the memories of the great ones more than pays for the failures.

J_A_B

Offline FT_Animal

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2001, 03:06:00 AM »
<golf clap>

Originally posted by J_A_B:
KOTH, though not weekly, was definately an awesome event.  

Plus there was no shortage of historical scenarios, the vast majority of which were great (at least the ones I took part in always were, and from what I understand I missed most of the REALLY good ones).

NOTE:  You don't HAVE to have specific planes to have a great scenario--substitutions CAN and DO work just fine.  "We don't have the planeset" is a horrible, lousy, terrible, pathetic, wicked, miserable, sad, worthless, crappy, and downright wrong excuse not to have an event.

Plus there was a variety of various other "fun" events and warnights, some historical, some not.  Granted, AW had the variety of WW1 and Korea timeframes to use as well as WW2 (MIGs vs Sabres rocks!) , but AH has no shortage of options available to it.  

You just have to open your mind, and not fear "failure", and not always be limited to strict "historical accuracy".  This is an internet game, not a historical society, so don't be afraid to have some fun and try new things--the worst that can happen to an event is nobody show up.   If it seems interesting, give it a try--THAT was the attitude that AW's event leaders had.  Some events worked, some didn't--but the memories of the great ones more than pays for the failures.

J_A_B

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2001, 03:51:00 AM »
You say that now JAB, but when and if we do make substitutions someone, somewhere will find a reason to complain about it.  Its a "damned if you do, damned if you dont" thing.  

Go dig up some of the old threads from the Afrika Korps scenario if you want.  We had all kinds of squeakin' and moanin' going on in that one over the substitution of just one plane.

Oh...and Moose...dont waste your time on Arlo there.  He doesn't seem to understand the concept that every reply in a thread, while public, doesn't always apply to him or need a remark from him.

[ 10-28-2001: Message edited by: sling322 ]

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2001, 06:42:00 AM »
I see no reason why the following scenarios couldn't be made to work at this point:

BoB: hurris, spit1's 109f's and ju88 in for he111's.  only thing missing would be the 110's (which cooullllllddddd, ugh, sorta, maybe, have mossie's standing in)

some mid/late war Pac scenario f6's and f4u's vs zekes, tony's and the george standing in for the ki-84 with americans taking offensive with 25's and tbm's)

this game is really crying for some earlier war models tho' to make the most of scenarios, such as the p-40, F4F, Oscars, vals, kates, betties, SBD would be great... but.. i disgress this is more a wishlist for planes.

some eastern front scenarios are workable, as well, afrika is iffy with the late war planeset we have...

italy operations would also be doable with early jugs and stangs vs lw and italians...

lot of current potential that would only be made more awesome when HTC gets around to adding the earlier planes...

i've been here a few months, now, and have yet to see or hear of any scenarios, TOD isn't quite accessible to the at large player-base, being limited to squads and those who suck up to squads to get an invite. I get confused between the Check 6' and Snapshots, but they don;t have quite the same feel as a scenario being more of an ad hoc nature, and while fun, attendance seems spotty at times and there's very little in the way of making them US vs Them in the sense that actual scenarios develope.

just my .02
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798