Author Topic: WWI Skins Cannot Be Embedded into Custom Terrain  (Read 438 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
WWI Skins Cannot Be Embedded into Custom Terrain
« on: February 05, 2019, 08:12:10 PM »
OK.  I've researched this enough I feel completely confident asserting that it is in fact a bug and not just me doing it wrong.  :D

So I created a stripped down terrain with nothing fancy in it.  Nothing in it at all except one field to drop the planes on to view.  So no other custom textures or custom objects.  Nothing goofy.

I then dumped out the skins for a P51D and a DR1.  I copied the main textures of both to my test terrain's texsrc folder.  I then edited one of each of the main textures with a witness mark to see if the textures where getting embedded.  What I found was that the P51D worked (so I do basically know what to do), but the DR1 won't.  And I think I can give you a clue where to look.

Here are the textures I marked:

And in the Terrain editor, youc an see the P51 texture was embedded.  Awesome.  :aok

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: WWI Skins Cannot Be Embedded into Custom Terrain
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 08:22:30 PM »
However the DR1 was not embedded. :mad:

Looking in the texsrc folder you can see the htx files for the P51 were created by the terrain editor, but not for the DR1.   :O

I've noticed that the WWI plane textures use a different naming convention than the WWII planes I've seen.  WWII planes will be "<planename>.bmp" where the WWI planes would be like "<planename>_1.bmp".

So out of curiosity, I took the texture I marked and named it "DR1.bmp" and lo and behold the terrain editor recognized it and generated a htx file!  :confused:

Of course this isn't a solution because the model will not load it.  So whatever scans for files <planename>.bmp to convert to htx is not looking for the same file the DR1 model is looking for. 

I don't know if there are any WWII planes (newer than WWI?) that have that different naming scheme, but if there are, they might have problems too. 

(Attached is the test terrain and bitmaps in texsrc.)

:salute,
CptTrips
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 08:24:05 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 09:38:30 AM »
The issue is simply the _ in the base texture name making it look like a component of the texture. I just fixed it for the next patch.

HiTech

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 10:02:23 AM »
The issue is simply the _ in the base texture name making it look like a component of the texture. I just fixed it for the next patch.

HiTech

Yeah, that makes sense.
:aok