Author Topic: Aces High Default Tile sets.  (Read 9166 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Aces High Default Tile sets.
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2019, 03:25:55 PM »
Do I need to give a full address in the atlas and catlas files like:

C:\Hitech Creations\Aces High III\ah3terr\oflintrn\terrset00\texsrc\mountain.bmp

Take a look in the 1016 folder at the mountain.bmp files and see if you can find something wrong with using that to replace craters.bmp with them. I even made a mountainclutter.bmp renaming a copy of the cliffclutter.bmp in case the TE is expecting to see a xxxclutter.bmp for atlas file paths.

Running a build still sees the path to oflintrn\terrset00 but, not the tiles. Any chance Win7 is the problem here? You and Easyscore probably are on Win10.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2019, 04:00:38 PM »

I am on Windows 10, but I can't imagine that being a problem.

So when you open your terrain in the TE you are not seeing your mountain bmp in the texture pallet on the right?

I can't remember if I tried absolute paths.  I remember I had a lot of trouble with paths trying to do it a different way.  I finally broke down and did it EXACTLY like Easyscor said and it worked.

I do know if a single entry in the atlas or catlas are wrong, it will bail and just load the default built-in terrset images.

I would double check every entry in the atlas/catlas and manually verify you see that file under you texsrc folder.

I'll try the same change on my terrain tonight to see if there is some other problem.

:salute
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2019, 05:41:31 PM »
OK.  Copied your atlas entries exactly and this is what I got.  Is this what you were trying to do?

I guess the catlas and details files don't matter unless you want to change them.  I just copied the 508 and 1016 into my texsrc folder.  I changed the catlas but didn't copy over any of the detail files.

It's a little confusing an whether you are trying to modify terrset00 or terrset02.  I set my map to terset00 and made your modifications.

Dumb question:  You do have your terrain tileset set to the terrset you are trying to modify right?  If you are trying to modify terrset00, then in the TE your terrain is set to the terrset00 tileset right? 

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2019, 05:50:51 PM »
Here is my sample terr to compare.  Just unzip to your ah3terr folder. 
However I cleared out the terrset00\texsrc folder for size.  Copy you 508/1016 images back in terrset00\texsrc and you should get what I got when opening it in the TE.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2019, 06:00:15 PM »
I'll keep working on it.

I was just offline doing some gunnery training with the P38 and realized why I never used the WW1 tileset for the MA. In the hanger the object groups are not in place for the MA feilds I'm using offline. You don't see fuel selection objects, just a miniature house you move through the selection squares. The ammo boxes are from the WW1 hanger. Wonder if that is doing something to this. I wanted the 1016 cliff.bmp and mountain.bmp available so I could get away from using that 508 rock.bmp which is dolomite with pines on it.

ffffRaaappppsweeee, stinkypooohs.....I'll shift to the EUsummer terrain set 00 and do the 1016 tile replacement inside of that. Maybe it's the object sets. I started out with the WW1 set becasue it had almost all of the Eu terrset00 tiles with craters and cliff 1016 which made great mountain painting selections.

And yes exactly what I'm trying to do in your screen captures. That removes the crater circles at the merge boarder for the 1016 cliff tile and makes a clean transition. Take a look at BowlMA offline and look at how bad the transition is around the white textured rock.bmp 508 tile I used for mountains. The 1016 mountain.bmp by itself would have made a great transition tile. Or even the cliff.bmp 1016 and only give up one 1016 farmland tile. Considering how little of at least 2 grass\tree 508 tiles I used, I'm wondering if I can clip off a 1x1 quad corner from one of the 1016 farmland tiles and use that sparingly for farm settings as a 508.

I repainted the center tank combat crater on an old test copy of BowlMA with the WW1 tileset to get at the 1016 cliff.bmp, it looks a lot better.

-------------------

Just downloaded and will get back to you, hope this works, thank you.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2019, 07:10:23 PM »
I was not choosing the correct default tileset from the menu in the terrain editor, then making the 508 and 1016 swaps. I tried a 508 swap at a higher level next to the rock.bmp and it does not play nice visually when I paint with it. Otherwise the transition or merge I wanted with the cliff.bmp edges works now.

That mesa top is 800ft under the drones so you can practice with the wirble. Thank you for helping me get this squared away... :salute

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2019, 07:44:01 PM »
 :aok

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2019, 06:07:53 PM »
I was able to get a Pac tile to work in the Euro tileset. It's a red brown volvanic rock with no cluttertile that only has texture. It adds dimension with it's contrast to use it with the cliff and mountain tiles. I updated an old version of the tank combat crater from BowlMA to show how it enhances the rock structures.

Updated oflinter wirbel mesa and other rock structures.

Updated tank combat crater from BowlMA back up version.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2019, 06:22:16 PM »
Looks nice.

How much did your terrain res file size increase?

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2019, 07:40:28 PM »
The offline training terrain 80kb and the BowlMA backup version 132kb. The additional rock texture and contrast is worth it where large topographical formations are concerned. After three terrains this is what I found lacking the most for creating large scale themes. A mono rock palette is a bite to not look like AH2 when you create mountains. I'll have to paint some of the mega rock structures on bowl now to see how this works out. I've got some massive mountain ranges and I think the rocksnow tile I replaced with the brown rock tile can be duplicated by percentage blending of the cliff 1016, snow 508, and the green and white rock 508 tiles. That way I can add lower elevation nuance with the brown rock tile like you see in the tank crater.

I think I need to move the red rock tile below the white rock tile in the palette order to get rid of a white transition line. This is kind of fun.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2019, 08:06:46 PM »
The offline training terrain 80kb and the BowlMA backup version 132kb.

Kb or Mb?

Mine jumped 80mb because basically you are building a whole terrset replacement.  If your res only increased 80kb I need to look close at why mine got so big!

:confused:

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2019, 08:55:54 PM »
Sorry,

Original oflin res was 250kb now 80,000kb. Bowlma original 51,000kb now 132,000kb. I was thinking in bmp tiles while not thinking in numbers...sorry.

Here is BowlMA after I shifted the red rock tile below the white dolomite with trees tiles. It removed a white boarder transition line and did a one for one swap across the whole terrain. Now I have volcanic rock like I originally wanted and it all needs some tweaking with the addition rock tiles like I did with the tank combat crater. And I have clean up where I removed farm tiles for rock tiles.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2019, 09:25:29 PM »
Sorry,

Original oflin res was 250kb now 80,000kb. Bowlma original 51,000kb now 132,000kb. I was thinking in bmp tiles while not thinking in numbers...sorry.

OK.  That's what I got.  That is a 80 megabyte increase in size.  80mb isn't as big a deal as it used to be, but I'd be curious if HT would spit his coffee on his monitor in regards to a MA terrain.

Let me know if you ever find a way to get that smaller.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2019, 03:07:14 PM »
I'm going to put back in a 1016 farm tile and keep a single 1016 rock tile and see if the merge transition is effected too much by that. If not, I can live with one less 1016 farm tile and design with only two farm tiles. Then I see if Hitech is interested, since one major theme problem that jumped out after two years was rock effects and how much only a single rock tile limited your presentation. I could have used the brown volcanic rock when I was painting riftval since rift valley's are volcanic and I put in all those volcanoes which is another result of two plates pulling apart.

You do not use all of the 16 - 508 tiles painting a terrain, you blend effects dictated by the merge boarders mostly. And in the Med tileset there is room for the brown rock 508 tile.

I will take a look also at placing only the files targeted in the texsrc folder by the atlas files. It could end up like your problem which requires all of the 508 and 1016 files from all terrsets to make it work.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2019, 03:19:59 PM »
I will take a look also at placing only the files targeted in the texsrc folder by the atlas files. It could end up like your problem which requires all of the 508 and 1016 files from all terrsets to make it work.

I tried various stuff like that but couldn't get it to work.  I finally suspected it was like a all or nothing thing.  It seems if you want to alter a single texture you need an entire new terrset.  It will cost you 80 meg whether you change one texture or all of them.

If you find out differently, let me know.