Author Topic: having trouble with map maker cfg file  (Read 729 times)

Offline Fester'

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
having trouble with map maker cfg file
« on: September 18, 2001, 10:39:00 AM »
every time i use it to try and make a 256 x 256 terrain it dosnt load in the terrain editor without it crashing.

i left everything default in the cfg file other than terrain elv and type size which i changed to

512 (256x2)
and the lower one to 256

did I miss somthing?

Offline Fester'

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2001, 10:40:00 AM »
p.s.

if i delete the cfg file and use basic map maker to create elv and typ files then the TE loads normally with no problems.

if this is the problem could someone send me thier cfg file for map maker?

[ 09-18-2001: Message edited by: Fester' ]

Offline Sky Viper

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.no54squad.com
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2001, 11:42:00 AM »
Fetster,
I posted about this problem a little while back.
I also tried to contact Ogre but he has not replied as yet.

The general reply was that creating a 256 mile map with the mmaker utility is not possible.  :(

Viper

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2001, 11:53:00 AM »
Ok, heres the work around. Do the BMP in 512x512, shrink it to 256x256 in any art program place it in the center of a 512x512 ALL black ,pure black background. Now run it threw AKwabbits Mapmaker, once in the TE set map to 256. Now you have the map in 256x256.
Thats the way i do it.

NUTTZ

Originally posted by Sky Viper:
Fetster,
I posted about this problem a little while back.
I also tried to contact Ogre but he has not replied as yet.

The general reply was that creating a 256 mile map with the mmaker utility is not possible.   :(

Viper

Offline Ogre

• Zinc Member
      • http://reaper@cris.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2001, 02:27:00 PM »
I just received an email with a heads-up on this topic.  Unfortunately I haven't had the time to fly AH in a long time, so I don't frequent this newsgroup much.

I'm not sure what the problem is.  I just ran a test case and I was able to load data and generate output .elv and .typ files that seem to contain the proper amount of data for a 256x256 mile terrain.

I know you probably have tried all this, but bear with me.  

1.  Are you using the config file that you can download from my MM web page (www.cris.com/~reaper/mapmaker)?  The link to the file is listed in the top section where other d/l information is kept.

2.  Make sure the config file is in the same directory as the mapmaker.exe executable.

3.  Make sure you have the following values in the config file for a 256x256 terrain:

[Elevation Format:2]
Rows:            512
Columns:         512

[Cover Format:2]
Rows:            256
Columns:         256

4.  Make sure the file name is .cfg after you edit it.  Some text editors like to rename it .txt or .cfg.txt

5.  Do you get any error message in the Dos debug screen that runs in the background when you have MM active?

6.  I'm assuming that no files are generated with .elv or .typ.  If any are, how big are they?

7.  Double check that when you load MM it says version v1.0 060800

PS.  My apologies Sky Viper for appearing to ignore you, I must have missed the email somehow (I've been getting blasted by spam mail in the last few months    :mad: )

PPS Heya Nuttz

[ 09-20-2001: Message edited by: Ogre ]

Offline Sky Viper

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.no54squad.com
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2001, 11:17:00 PM »
THANKS for the reply Ogre!
NP on the missed email!

Here are the answers to your questions:

1. Are you using the config file that you can download from my MM web page (www.cris.com/~reaper/mapmaker)?
YES

2. Make sure the config file is in the same directory as the mapmaker.exe executable.
It was/is In fact, I changed the RGB settings to make my clipboard map.  ;)

3. Make sure you have the following values in the config file for a 256x256 terrain:.....
EXACTLY

4. Make sure the file name is .cfg after you edit it. Some text editors like to rename it .txt or .cfg.txt

RIGHT See #2 answer...the cfg file works for everthing else.

5. Do you get any error message in the Dos debug screen that runs in the background when you have MM active?
No, it reports exactly the same as it does in the 512 cfg.

6. I'm assuming that no files are generated with .elv or .typ. If any are, how big are they?
Yes, they are generated. .elv = 512K and .typ = 64K

7. Double check that when you load MM it says version v1.0 060800
Nope...v1.0 061200

I hope this info helps.

Viper