Author Topic: 19 year old Retired Air Force Academy Cadet.  (Read 650 times)

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
Re: 19 year old Retired Air Force Academy Cadet.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 04:51:04 AM »
Nice.  We can all be human if the inner idiot allows us to.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 06:43:23 AM »
Why is he at a children's hospital?
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 07:21:07 AM »
Why is he at a children's hospital?

Maybe they have the best treatment plus he is under the age of 21 and still considered a minor.
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 10:04:10 AM »
Maybe they have the best treatment plus he is under the age of 21 and still considered a minor.

Age of majority varies by state. At 18 he’s definitely not a minor. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 10:55:01 AM »
I believe he is in a children's hospital because his illness, Febrile Infection Related Epilepsy Syndrome, is a childhood illness that most often strikes children. From a quick google I located an abstract that described it as afflicting children ages 3-15 and it is one nasty MOFO that the world could do without. 30% mortality and everybody else having what is coyly described as "an intellectual disability" for the rest of their lives
Pies not kicks.

Offline John Galt

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 05:52:44 PM »
Most Children's hospitals are 21 and under for many diseases. 
VDub

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 10:57:09 PM »
My USAF Academy class had a girl, age 17 or 18 IIRC, who fell off the rope climb and broke her back.  She wasn't paralyzed but after surgery she got a permanent disability, medical retirement worth a few hundred bucks a month for life and lifetime medical, plus various other disabled vet benefits.  Good for her, the stupid fall pit underneath the rope was MUCH too small, AF probably would have lost a bigtime lawsuit if her family had pressed for negligence.  I remember thinking at the time that the pit size was criminally negligent, and heard about the accident just a couple of weeks later.  30ish ft tall rope, cushioned fall pit was MAYBE 5 ft on a side.  Her feet landed in the pit, her butt quite naturally landed on the edge since the edge was only about 2-3 ft from the rope.  She let go of the rope as commanded by obstacle course cadre when she couldn't descend in a controlled fashion due to muscle fatigue.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 11:06:01 PM »
Also...  There is still a stupid loophole in the law that means if a person dies on active duty but while medically inactive, benefits and survivor benefits are reduced.  If they think a military member even MIGHT die during treatment, a smart commander will immediately process the paperwork to get them medically retired before they die to ensure that benefits are maximized.  It's a stupid loophole in the law that our dysfunctional congress has known about for decades but refuses to fix, so commanders have to take extreme measures to ensure their people and families are taken care of properly.

As this guy was a cadet, what probably happened is they reverted him to his equivalent enlisted rank (probably E-3), retired him, then started up the survivor benefit annuity.  That means his beneficiaries will get a percentage of his "Retired pay" if he dies.  His retired pay is probably more than he was making as a cadet, and the retired status means he and any dependents he might end up with will continue to get pretty good medical benefits.  If he gets better, he could possibly come back to a duty status and then everyone wins.  If not, for life he gets the treatment he earned through his initial decision to enter the service.  Again, win.

I know a kid who was in the Army in a similar situation...  The Army was under pressure to cut costs so BEFORE the medical situation was stable his commander kicked him out of the service (he was in an IED blast in Iraq) and he spent the next 3 years with no benefits fighting the VA for a disability judgement (he was 100% disabled with severe neurological damage).  Big difference between the services back then, but I think the Army is taking better care of it's disabled vets nowadays after getting a huge amount of bad PR for many cases of systematically mis-treating disabled vets.

Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 07:23:57 AM »
For medical retirements the pay grade, I believe is based off of E-5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario