Author Topic: Looks like the time to upgrade to Win10 is fast approaching.  (Read 8480 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Looks like the time to upgrade to Win10 is fast approaching.
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2019, 03:28:07 AM »
Snip
I know, you're shaking your head at my latest dumb attempts. I hope that link helps other dummies like me to ease the frustration level.
Snip

When upgrading an old machine there can be all kinds of issues or it can be smooth as silk. Those of us who have done many OS upgrades will not be shaking our heads at your hunt for a driver. It happens sometimes.

It is what it is.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2019, 03:32:43 AM »
I look forward to getting back to Monday night's craziness in fighters if all goes well. Look out Shuffler, there may be a 'Bruester' with a wrench and a hammer looking for you soon.  :x

Looking forward to seeing you back. I have missed the last two weeks of MNM because of real life. I will be there this next one for sure.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2019, 06:17:13 AM »
None of the latest drivers for my ASUS P8P67-LE work in Win 10, including the Win8.1 drivers several internet message board posters claimed. Maybe they did a year ago, but no more, apparently. Not a big issue as everything is working reasonably well except for a bit of lag from my PCIe USB card. I'll see if the mfg's driver fixes that or buy a new card. Even a retired guy can afford that.

Installed and used Win10 for Tank Night last night and everything went great. Better then usual even.

Next for me is checking Skuzzy's list of telemetry things to disable, then transfering my Thunderbird and Firefox profiles (yeah, I never went with Pale Moon even though I think I should have. I was afraid for future support.)

Might sound like I'm done but I haven't even tried to install Office (2003) yet. Tons of programs and data still waiting for the all clear point.

For Denniss, as I said, that Nvidia link I posted delivered driver 419.35 for my MB using Win10. Oh! and it works great! Both my monitors are now set up properly with the Dell in portrait mode the same way I had it in Win7. I'm very happy. That link is highly recommended to anyone with grafic card problems. I just hope Win10 dosen't futs with it. I belive my install is your 1809 or whatever. According to the download site, they only distribute the latest version of Windows 10 including all the latest updates.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 06:34:58 AM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2019, 11:27:48 AM »
Since the latest W8.1 chipset drivers are from 2013, I'd first check the Device Manager to see if W10 has already installed later ones. If they're still dated, Intel download center is the place to go. Their automatic Driver and Support Assistant may or may not work for you but it's worth a try.

PaleMoon didn't prove as nice as it looked when Skuzzy recommended it. In fact, in a later post he withdrew from his recommendation. Firefox is what I recommend the most just because they don't try to spy on you for selling your marketing profile.

After installing Office2003 don't forget to install the Compatibility Pack to be able to open files created with Office 2007 and later. Microsoft doesn't necessarily have it any longer for download but it can be easily found.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2019, 02:24:34 PM »
Good advice. Ran the Intel Assistant with no joy and along the line Intel said they've suspended chipset driver support (only for older MBs?) I'll check ASUS next but iirc it sent me to Intel last time.
Office is running now, have the Service Pack for it and had the Compatibility Pack sitting on my desktop for awhile, hope I didn't lose it. 2003 was the last version before I thought they ruined the program. I should probably look into the last stand alone version released last year.

Somehow I've got to find the ability to keep 10 from ejecting my C: drive LOL. It shows as an option along with ejecting USBs and DVDs.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2019, 02:01:18 PM »
I looked at ASUS, they don't have a Win10 download for that MB.

I'm guessing the option to eject the C drive may be from setting it to hot plug in BIOS.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2019, 03:13:46 PM »
the option to eject the C drive may be from setting it to hot plug in BIOS.
That's as good a guess as anything. Showing various drives and partitions as ejectable is a thing I've encountered several times in various occasions. It's a glitch but not a dangerous one. I'd leave it as is, but if it really bugs you there's fixes for it, a Registry hack being the last resort as described here: https://www.easeus.com/backup-recovery/windows-10-thinks-my-hard-drive-is-removable.html

I've never tested any of the fixes mentioned so I can't guarantee they work.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 03:16:24 PM by Bizman »
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2019, 07:36:29 AM »
I've seen the cache buffer dialog before but can't find it right now. Maybe later I'll look again. Thanks. Also, going to check the BIOS, but I know the two fastest port port are 'hot-swap-able' and the rest are not, so not likely to help there but ya never know.

In "Bluetooth & other devices" I can eject all three active drives not counting any disk in the DVD-BR player or USB.

Thought I'd try the latest msVisual Studio, phssst. They can keep it, I'll go dig out one of my old installation disks.

The fact I can't get any real work done until I finish this is driving my nuts but I'm almost done. Desktop looks like an old xp box again LOL.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2019, 07:16:16 AM »
I held off on a new work laptop because of 10. My 7 laptop battery finally gave up and IT wouldn't replace the battery, they made me take a 10 laptop.

I've been using ms windows since 98 and like 7 the best. I'd rather have 98 back over this steaming pile called windows 10.

The first thing I did was gag and remove cortana and spent the rest of the day removing all the other crap like edge. I've been using 10 for 2 months now...still not used to it and still hate it.

I hope they listen to my feedback and make 11 like 7.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2019, 09:27:00 AM »
I hope they listen to my feedback and make 11 like 7.

Haven't you heard? There'll be no 11, like ever. Only new versions of 10.

Truth to be said, I was no fan of 10 when it came out and still am not and don't have it on any of our computers. However, having set up and tweaked numerous of systems having it, I must say it has become better, much better than what it was in the beginning. Some features are so intuitively good that I try to use them on Win7 systems as well. Right clicking the menu icon for a huge variety of functions is something they should have invented already for the service packs of Win95.

Then again, in Win10 they have changed the way of making a connection metered or unmetered in almost every version, yet the way Win8.1 does it is still the most intuitive: Right clicking the connection in the available networks list in the Notification area gives the opportunity to change the status. For a right clicker like myself that's the most obvious place to look at any available setting.

Kotisivuni

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2019, 03:42:46 PM »
Win10 has grown on me. Took a week before I got the window's title bar highlighted. For many "features" like white title bars on white windows, I kept asking myself, "Why?" :uhoh

Agree on the network connection observation. Unnecessarily convoluted, but on this desktop rig, it won't get in the way.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2019, 07:13:06 AM »
Easycor I'm with you. Since switching from 7 to 10 a few weeks ago, I now find myself pretty comfortable doing whatever it is I need to get done. One thing that really improved my experience is adding Chrome as my browser. Edge is garbage...it reminds me of the tabloid rack at the airport with all it's useless graphics and ads.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2019, 07:25:50 AM »
If you're not using Edge, go through the settings of it and try to make it not run in the background. Also make it automatically delete all history when closed to prevent it from using your disk space for unneeded crap. And disable Timeline and stop Activity History: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/view-delete-windows-10-activity-history/

Kotisivuni

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2019, 12:31:15 PM »
I just upgraded to an SSD last night and after looking into what it would take to whittle down my 1.5TB partition to fit on it, I decided to install fresh and figured it was as good a time as any to get on 10.  It went very smoothly.  In about an hour, I had everything on and working and was in AH.  Only downside was I'm going to have to redo my joystick bindings because I'm guessing the device IDs were different on my old OS.

Not bad for a Sandy Bridge rig.  I was able to find chipset drivers, but didn't have any luck with the Realtek drivers.  My sound does seem to work fine though.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2019, 01:49:07 PM »
Pull the previous stick settings from your old 1.5 TB drive. I'm surprised your head positions are working if you haven't already copied your settings folder over.

Same experience on my ASUS Sandybridge but it took over a week to customize the OS the way I wanted it, and still more time to find the sound settings to match applications to separate headsets etc.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001