Author Topic: Rift "S" officially announced (will replace Rift CV1).  (Read 773 times)

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
Rift "S" officially announced (will replace Rift CV1).
« on: March 20, 2019, 12:05:59 PM »
Here is the info on the newly announced Rift "S".  It's said to be an "evolutionary," not revolutinary advance in the product.  Definitely some Cons with this new device, but overall, the Pros seem very positive (e.g., better optics  & resolution, inside-out tracking, little-to-no screen door effect, etc).

Here is an article about it too.

FWIW,
o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Re: Rift "S" officially announced (will replace Rift CV1).
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 07:35:10 AM »
Thanks for sharing Wraith. :aok
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Online Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 04:24:33 PM »
Like the new res, the new tracking. Don't like no mechanical IPD.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 01:04:20 PM »
Like the new res, the new tracking. Don't like no mechanical IPD.

Without actually trying it I have the same impression....not enough for me to upgrade, but perhaps good for someone who is getting a new VR rig and has typical IPD.....that adjustment is critical for me.

Online Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 04:37:30 PM »
Be interesting to see what the new valve headset specs are.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 04:40:46 PM »
Since the Rift S is a single screen I thought they were doing IPD in software. Of course that assumes the lens for each eye can accommodate the settings.

They dropped the required FPS to 80 even though with the CV1 they said 90 was required for good VR.

I see it as a cheaper to build CV1.  I'm pretty happy with my CV1. I expect real improvements in VR will have to wait for much more powerful CPU's and GPU's.

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 11:44:34 AM »
Since the Rift S is a single screen I thought they were doing IPD in software. Of course that assumes the lens for each eye can accommodate the settings.

They dropped the required FPS to 80 even though with the CV1 they said 90 was required for good VR.

I see it as a cheaper to build CV1.  I'm pretty happy with my CV1. I expect real improvements in VR will have to wait for much more powerful CPU's and GPU's.

Agree, FLS.  Some folks who've gone hands-on with the Rift S have anecdotally said that its software IPD adjustment range is 58-72, but Oculus itself hasn't stated the "official" range.  See my new thread for another possible alternative to Rift S

FWIW,
o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein