Author Topic: Looking to build a Northern Europe Terrain .....  (Read 1285 times)

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
Looking to build a Northern Europe Terrain .....
« on: October 16, 2000, 05:39:00 AM »
A big ambition of mine is to get to a point to run some scenarios of some of the big daylight bombing raids into Germany. To that end I was considering starting to build a European terrain to suit. Would I be wasting my time i.e. is it already well under way??
Does anyone need any help??

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2000, 12:34:00 PM »
Sparks, I know of several people who have talked of doing the Euro Theater terrain.

Now I don't know what scale, what total area, or if they even went beyond the planning stages, or if they completed them.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2000, 03:04:00 PM »
Well Verm I've decided to give it a go - looks like a long project but what the hay - nothing ventured nothing gained. Started going through the LAT and LONG's for UK bases - easy enough coz lots of data - but do you know of good sources for the German and occupied territories??

Thanx

BTW my first cut looks like being top corner 56.0 deg N, 0.5 deg W, 11.5 deg wide that seems to catch SE England and E.Anglia and all of France and Germany - comments please.

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2000, 10:49:00 AM »
It might be wise to scale it so that the flight times won't be historically ridiculous.  Maybe something like 2:1?

But then again, a 1:1 map would be nice for historical scenarios.  The Allied players could start their scenario 4 hrs before the Axis, since it will take about that long to get them within range of the german interceptors.    

Camo

------------------
Camouflage
XO, Lentolaivue 34
 www.muodos.fi/LLv34

Brewster into AH!

"The really good pilots use their superior judgement to keep them out of situations
where they might be required to demonstrate their superior skill."
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Reaper

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2000, 01:09:00 PM »
Hi Sparks      

Glad youŽre doing a european terrain...I started one myself but stopped working on it due to lack of interest (by me and some of the prospective flyers...) and time constraints

My left-top corner was 56.5N 2W 14,8wide..sure was fun crossing the channel and bombing some stuff...

Looking forward to your map, IŽd be glad to help if you have any problems  

[This message has been edited by Reaper (edited 11-16-2000).]

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2000, 03:08:00 PM »
Here are some resources that may help you
 http://www.vermin.net/temp/europe1.jpg
 http://www.vermin.net/temp/europe2-1.jpg
 http://www.vermin.net/temp/europe2-2.jpg

These might help you some  

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

RDRedwing

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2000, 04:13:00 PM »
Hey Sparks

I and some others of the CM terrain team have been working on a 1:1 ETO map for quite a while now, terrain design is done mostly, right now I'm placing targets and trying to implement those airwarrior textures.

I hope to be able to send it to HTC for approval next week.

Due to the fact that its a 1:1 scale map it will only be suited for big-scale events so you might go ahead and create a smaller scale one that could be used as an alternative arena just like Verms med terrain. Just a suggestion

Redwing
------------
Aces High CM Corps.

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2000, 03:53:00 AM »
Camo - I think you're right - looking at Redwings reply I'll probably go for a smaller scale map.

Reaper - looked good - I'll download it today and have a look - thanks.

Verm - thanks for the info - that's great - I've just e-mailed the RAF museum at Hendon to see if they have maps in the archives.

Redwing - fantastic !! An idea I had was to place cities (maybe in groups) to represent factory complexes. The thinking behind it is you can use single pass plaster bombing as used in RL and then score the damage on % of city destroyed. I am going to do some offline testing to see what damage sticks of bombs set at various delays do to cities.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Sparks

[This message has been edited by Sparks (edited 10-19-2000).]

RDRedwing

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2000, 12:45:00 PM »
Sparks keep in mind the object limit is 4000, so I highly recommend placing fields first before you go for cities and factories because it will give you an idea how dense you can place city and factory objects.

A single city object group has ~80 objects, so the numbers rack up pretty fast, be careful with that.

When placing a couple of cities/ factories close to each other make sure you delete some of the 88s, CMs can't control ack accuracy so 10+ 88s mean certain death to any bomber formation.

Redwing
-----------
Aces High CM Corps.

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2000, 04:34:00 AM »
Verm

Thanks for those images - could you tell me where they came from ??
I've started building a database of airfields with Lat Long, Active years, a/c types in the years etc and could do with the same information that is in the "Action Stations" series of books but for the German feilds. Know any sources ??

This is a long term project but I hope to build maybe a terrain for each year 1940 - 1944 which would have only those a/fs on them that were correct for the time.

Anyway I can't fly at the mo due to lack of finances so might as well get back to the books.

Sparks

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2000, 04:14:00 PM »
<punt>

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2000, 07:26:00 AM »
Sorry Sparks, I missed the post initially.

Those maps come from two different Atlases of WWII (that I scanned in) that I have picked up over the past year or so. To get exact titles and or ISBN's I would have to look once I get home.

Is that what your looking for?

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2000, 09:26:00 AM »
Yes Pls Verm - that would be magnificent  

Any idea where I could get the operational detail around the airfields??

Thanks

Sparks

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2000, 09:49:00 AM »
Sorry it took me a few days Sparks, been busy with real life.

The better of the two, but its a hard back, large sized, and much more expensive is

Atlas of the Second World War
Edited by John Keegan
ISBN #: 0-7230-1007-2

I got mine for $15 on the bargin rack, but I believe it normally runs in the $40-$50 range.

The other I can't find on my book shelves, and I think I loaned it to a friend at work. I will post about it when I get it back.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2000, 06:44:00 PM »
Anyway I could get on the CM terrain Team?

NUTTZ