Author Topic: Please perk or reduce the late war monsters  (Read 37998 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Please perk or reduce the late war monsters
« Reply #180 on: March 27, 2019, 05:29:27 PM »
Or just leave.   Probably a little of both. 

Yeah.  It's one of the common characteristics of pony dweebs.  When people talk about limiting planes, you never hear, "If I have to pay perks for a 109K(or Ta152, or pretty much any other plane), I'm out of here."  But for a lot of people, it seems to be pony or nothing.

Weirdly cultish.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #181 on: March 27, 2019, 05:32:31 PM »

(I know. It was only a matter of time.)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #182 on: March 27, 2019, 05:33:57 PM »
I dont have any numbers to back up my thoughts, your chart shows P51, Yak3, Spit16, D9, Nik, and La as the top 6. Seems to me we use to see a lot more 109 other than the K4, F4s, F6F, Spit8, and 5s, Jugs other than the M, and on base defense Hurris, IL2, Brewster and Zeros at sea.

All that diversity is gone. It is rare that you find these other planes today. Sure you can fly any plane you want, but to catch most other players you need the speed demons which only makes things worst. So your choice is to fly a speed demon, or log off. Neither choice can be very good for business.

While I'm not there as frequently as you, I still see all of those planes.  Heck, I fly them myself.  I suspect the reason we don't see as many is because we've lost a lot of people who enjoyed the challenge - not because people suddenly discovered the Dora.  You can't force people to challenge themselves ("Honest, dear, it has to come from the heart!").

Vraciu has another point; making favorite rides harder to obtain results in people departing.  We've seen this with the ENY debates. 

And really, you don't have to log off if you can't catch a runner.  Turn 90 degrees one way or the other, and generally he'll come back hoping to get an advantage.

- oldman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 27, 2019, 05:34:31 PM »
I dont have any numbers to back up my thoughts, your chart shows P51, Yak3, Spit16, D9, Nik, and La as the top 6. Seems to me we use to see a lot more 109 other than the K4, F4s, F6F, Spit8, and 5s, Jugs other than the M, and on base defense Hurris, IL2, Brewster and Zeros at sea.

All that diversity is gone.

The diversity is not much different that, say, 10 years ago.
In 2008, the top 5 fighters had 35.5% of all fighter vs fighter kills, in 2018 it was 33%
In 2008, the top 10 fighters had 51.7% vs 50% in 2018
In 2008, the bottom 20 fighters got 5%, in 2018 3%. Almost nobody flew them back then, and almost nobody is flying them today ;)

"Nostalgia is a dirty liar that insists things were better than they seemed."
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #184 on: March 27, 2019, 05:36:37 PM »
... So your choice is to fly a speed demon, or log off. Neither choice can be very good for business.

Those may be your choices but there are others.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #185 on: March 27, 2019, 05:37:43 PM »

And really, you don't have to log off if you can't catch a runner.  Turn 90 degrees one way or the other, and generally he'll come back hoping to get an advantage.

^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This

(Why is this the hardest 'ACM' lesson to learn?)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #186 on: March 27, 2019, 05:46:16 PM »

In 2008, the top 5 fighters had 35.5% of all fighter vs fighter kills, in 2018 it was 33%
In 2008, the bottom 20 fighters got 5%, in 2018 3%. Almost nobody flew them back then, and almost nobody is flying them today ;)

Interesting how little the percentages have changed.  The only quibble I'd have with your conclusion is on the bottom 20.  Going from 5% to 3% is a fairly significant difference.  Relative to itself, usage went down 40%.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 27, 2019, 05:59:29 PM »
The only quibble I'd have with your conclusion is on the bottom 20.  Going from 5% to 3% is a fairly significant difference. 

It is a big difference on paper, but realistically nothing one would really notice without actually checking the stats in detail.  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #188 on: March 27, 2019, 06:04:42 PM »
Wings, though.

Drat!

Curse you villain!   :old:
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #189 on: March 27, 2019, 06:10:59 PM »
Yeah.  It's one of the common characteristics of pony dweebs.  When people talk about limiting planes, you never hear, "If I have to pay perks for a 109K(or Ta152, or pretty much any other plane), I'm out of here."  But for a lot of people, it seems to be pony or nothing.

Weirdly cultish.

Wiley.

Weirdly challenging. 

The Mustang is not my favorite fighter of WWII (the Corsair is, followed by the P-38) but I have no interest in flying much of anything else here in AH.    I find the airplane a challenging enigma of sorts, but primarily I just like the view. 

The Dora is second.   Again for the view. 

Guys who make it tough for me in my 51 wind up easy meat when I switch to the Spit XVI.   Mustangs require discipline.    I look at them as a challenge to master and all I can say is that I've made a lot of progress with much left to learn.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #190 on: March 27, 2019, 06:22:49 PM »
Then do it and quit whining, hot shot.

I'd rather not become part of the bore fest problem. Though I do like proving what a plane is capable of the MA.

Or just leave.   Probably a little of both. 

(Being aggressive in a Mustang is situational because it just doesn’t retain/quickly regain E once it’s at the bottom of the stack.  You have to know when to bug.) 

Notice I said the P51 shouldnt be perked. I think its good right where it is. I think with the 50s and lack of Accel, its not too easy. You still have to be patient to fly it as to not get too slow. The 190D doesn't get as slow because most try to turn with it as little as possible. People tend to lose patience in planes that can turn well which gets them low n slow, that's the. F4us biggest problem when people fly it, it's hard to keep in E in planes that turn well because of a lack of patience.

^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This

(Why is this the hardest 'ACM' lesson to learn?)

Because it's not good for new sticks who don't understand defensive maneuvers. Fighting in the defensive is much more challenging. Fighting people who run away only to turn back and attack your slower plane is not exciting for a person who doesn't know what they are doing. Being the victim of a BnZer is tiring. 

Do you think Hitech just forgot about the FW-190D when he set the perks?

Assuming he didn't, what has changed that points to the 190D being a problem rather than simply popular?

The FW-190 was famous for it's high roll rate.  The Temp not so much. Re-orienting your lift vector faster is a significant ACM advantage. For dogfighting I think the 190D is superior to the Temp in maneuverability. But perks and ENY are not just for dogfighting. They are for arena game play.  I'm guessing the key difference for the 190D vs Temp is firepower.

I think Hitech forgot how good these planes are. 2 extra Cannon's is great, but the 190D has longer shooting and longer shooting timing with 500 cannons and some odd 50s.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #191 on: March 27, 2019, 06:28:28 PM »
It is a big difference on paper, but realistically nothing one would really notice without actually checking the stats in detail.  :old:

Right. You're going to still see about 20 top planes before you see a bottom ten plane. It's just interesting on paper.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #192 on: March 27, 2019, 06:31:07 PM »

The biggest telling part is that 50% of 150 players is one thing, but 50% of 400 players is something else. Again player numbers exasperates the issues. If we had 400 players playing, even if half of them run/avoid fights, Id still have a pretty good chance at finding a fight.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #193 on: March 27, 2019, 06:42:05 PM »
I'd rather not become part of the bore fest problem. Though I do like proving what a plane is capable of the MA.

Your chest thumping is a bore.

Notice I said the P51 shouldnt be perked. I think its good right where it is. I think with the 50s and lack of Accel, its not too easy. You still have to be patient to fly it as to not get too slow. The 190D doesn't get as slow because most try to turn with it as little as possible. People tend to lose patience in planes that can turn well which gets them low n slow, that's the. F4us biggest problem when people fly it, it's hard to keep in E in planes that turn well because of a lack of patience.

That's what I've been trying to say.   But implement your idea and it will be perked, too, based purely on emotion.

My reply in red above. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #194 on: March 27, 2019, 06:48:35 PM »
Actually, I gotta give it to Violator here. He may be persistent but he's keeping a cool head throughout this ordeal.  :salute :cheers: