Author Topic: Late war Plane dillema  (Read 39744 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Late war Plane dillema
« Reply #150 on: April 03, 2019, 10:19:17 PM »
This is becoming a fetish at this point...

Becoming?  :t

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #151 on: April 03, 2019, 10:22:45 PM »
I was gone when it went away.

What happened?  Just empty all the time?

AHIII did away with those arenas.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #152 on: April 03, 2019, 10:24:54 PM »

Because of a technical reason?

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #153 on: April 03, 2019, 10:26:00 PM »

I was suspecting more like lack of widespread interest killed off the early and mid and AHIII was just an opportunity not to continue them. We all know that those arena could still be activated in AHIII.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #154 on: April 03, 2019, 10:27:53 PM »
I firmly believe it had to do with Russian meddling
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #155 on: April 03, 2019, 10:28:58 PM »
I firmly believe it had to do with Russian meddling

Gorram Ruskies.  :mad:

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #156 on: April 03, 2019, 10:31:45 PM »
Oh yeah. A map with three swirling valleys with 30k cliffs on both sides that meet in the middle. The buffs guys'll love that.  :cool:

Not what is being suggested at all.  A sandpit that caters for all play types is the goal

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #157 on: April 03, 2019, 10:34:18 PM »
I am telling yall.... a 4000 ft alt limit. No one has to climb to a fight. Bombers don't have a boring climbout.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #158 on: April 03, 2019, 10:35:39 PM »
Not what is being suggested at all.  A sandpit that caters for all play types is the goal

I would like to see the sandbox modified to produce less white space.  Generate battles for targets that need to be won before other targets are opened.

Outside of that 'active' battle front nothing is open for business.  Funnel the fights to an area commensurate with the population density.

You don't think a map like that would produce a funnel that would increase density for a smaller arena population? It would be better for fighters and worse for buffs, though.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #159 on: April 03, 2019, 10:40:17 PM »
You are assuming the problem lies with the player.  I am suggesting it lies within the game mechanics.

I would like to see the sandbox modified to produce less white space.  Generate battles for targets that need to be won before other targets are opened.

Outside of that 'active' battle front nothing is open for business.  Funnel the fights to an area commensurate with the population density.

Like a scenario? Instead of a sandbox you want structured goals and I'm guessing mostly closed bases to direct players to the current fight.

And you want it to dynamically change as the fight progresses. Is that it?

No problems with uneven sides rolling bases in the active battle?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #160 on: April 03, 2019, 10:44:09 PM »
I still want the big scenario that deals with positive or negative affects on logistics based on capture or loss of resources - complete with R&D deciding what models are available over time.

Granted, there would come a tipping point where it becomes painfully obvious who will eventually win the war.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #161 on: April 03, 2019, 10:51:41 PM »
Back in the old days you had pony's and dora's, and pickers, and runners, and ADHD turn monkeys and BnZ'ers. 

The difference is you couldn't throw a rock in any direction without hitting a dogfight.

IMHO, you don't have a late war plane dilemma,  you have a player density dilemma.

Back then, You could die and get back into a fight fast.  There were no shortages of fights.  The cost of dying was low because you get back into the action very quickly. 

Now you have a painful investment in time to climb out and search and find some action somewhere.  I highly doubt anyone flies cautiously because of score concerns.  That is a red-herring.  They just don't want to have to start all over again back at base.  Shorten peoples time to get back into action and you'd see a big difference in loss aversion.  Perk their favorite rides and you just increase loss aversion.   

Options:

1.  Add players.  500 players in the MA solves a lot of problems.
2.  Smaller maps.  At some point it starts to get ridiculous.  If you get down to 128x128 maps, people will wonder if they are really flying a MMOG.
3.  Reconfigure to a two sided war with balancing to shorten the frontage thus increasing density for a given map size.
4.  Use some kind of capture order to force activity into certain areas.
5.  Get on the BBS and stomp your feet and call everyone cowards and timid because they won't fly the way you want.
6.  Perk the most iconic WWII planes in the stable, and still not make much difference to the perceived problem of cautious flying.  You would probably lower the density some more.  ;)

:salute

« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 11:19:34 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #162 on: April 03, 2019, 10:58:43 PM »
You don't think a map like that would produce a funnel that would increase density for a smaller arena population? It would be better for fighters and worse for buffs, though.

What parameters would the buffs need? Why do you assume they cannot be catered for?

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #163 on: April 03, 2019, 11:00:46 PM »
Like a scenario? Instead of a sandbox you want structured goals and I'm guessing mostly closed bases to direct players to the current fight.

And you want it to dynamically change as the fight progresses. Is that it?

No problems with uneven sides rolling bases in the active battle?

If uneven sides are a potential issue what controls could be put in place to counter that?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #164 on: April 03, 2019, 11:05:20 PM »
If uneven sides are a potential issue what controls could be put in place to counter that?

Good question.

1.  Add players.  500 players in the MA solves a lot of problems.

Terrific idea.   :aok

Guess my next question.   :D