Author Topic: Late war Plane dillema  (Read 39744 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Late war Plane dillema
« Reply #255 on: April 05, 2019, 04:29:51 PM »
If he has made any mistake I would say he hasnt adapted to the changing "gamer" world. This has cause more and more people to "look" other places for the game they want to play. I still think Hitech could code things into the game to make more players "find" action.

The .... changing .... gamer .... world. Name one single popular (attracts more players) air combat game online that doesn't have the elements in it you claim Aces High has that is chasing players to them.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #256 on: April 05, 2019, 05:26:42 PM »
I have been reading this for 18 pages and it is a lot of the same comments back and forth.  I fly in the Aces High melee arena for two reasons: to hang with my friends and to sharpen up for events or scenarios.  It's my gym.  I am rarely attracted to a furball environment and stopping for a good 1 v 1 is a good way to get yourself eaten.  I don't like to take empty bases, unless the Rooks are being ignored by the Knights and Bishop.  Then I will help take fields until someone starts upping.  No one to shoot at means I am not getting a work out.  I do not think less of those who are interested in furballing or dogfighting exclusively anymore than those that enjoy the process of "winning the war".  Most of the Pigs On the Wing are the same way, we just like to see the arena burn in our pursuit of event and scenario muscle.  My point in sharing this is that combat is here, it may not look exactly like you think it needs to look like, but it's here.  If you take the time to stop complaining and start flying and dying.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 06:09:26 PM by waystin2 »
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #257 on: April 05, 2019, 05:27:09 PM »
The change the game camp falls into two ideologies.

1. - Just because people can do something in an open world environment does not mean they should.

Eventually "someone" makes this statement and then the only answer they have after being forced into a corner for 3billion pages of purse fighting is: Hitech has to force them to not do what "someone" has decided shouldn't be done, just trust me I know better than you or Hitech.

2. - Other games do x, y, z, abc, 123, zed zero zulch. This game is boring and dying tomorrow becasue no one likes your game anymore Hitech becasue it's too old school and lame. So trust me you "need" to take all the aforementioned good things I've experienced in all the other games and remake this game into a super zowee killer game for the current woke hip all knowing generation of "real gamers".

Eventually someone makes this statement and then the only answer they have after being forced into a corner for 3 billion pages of purse fighting is: How do I know this will work, just trust me, I'm one of the new generation of hip all knowing players and you guys and Hitech especially are old and out of touch in my humble all knowing opinion.

Funner still, this has to be predicated on the thinking Hitech lives in a bubble and knows zilch about anything related to real computer games after 1999 in his industry. Or, the members of these two camps have decided this game sucks as is and Hitech sucks along with anyone who supports him unless he changes his game to suit their demands. All kind of woke and all SJW inclusive and tolerant modern style of how to get what you want when others suck and are in your way even if you don't own the company you want changed.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 05:29:33 PM by bustr »
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #258 on: April 05, 2019, 05:47:53 PM »
So your saying that if we are all in a checkers championship and half way through the games the "majority" of the players just push all the pieces off the board it would be ok, right?  Just because "most" of the people are doing it, doesnt make it right.

Nonsense. Your analogy is ludicrous.  Let's leave checkers out of it.

When you extend/run away in the MA you enjoy getting clear. You are part of the group that enjoys playing that way. You shouldn't be forced to play differently for someone else's enjoyment. 

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #259 on: April 05, 2019, 06:15:10 PM »
Nonsense. Your analogy is ludicrous.  Let's leave checkers out of it.

When you extend/run away in the MA you enjoy getting clear. You are part of the group that enjoys playing that way. You shouldn't be forced to play differently for someone else's enjoyment.

But if that is what everybody does it would surely make a pretty boring game..... oh wait, isnt that where we seem to be heading? Just because you can, and everybody is doing it doesnt mean its good for the game.

The .... changing .... gamer .... world. Name one single popular (attracts more players) air combat game online that doesn't have the elements in it you claim Aces High has that is chasing players to them.

I havnt an answer for that because I only play this game.

Answer me this, Why is the best WWII air combat game ever made (Aces High) losing players to other games all the time ? Why do the numbers continue to drop? Why do new players not even finish out their free two weeks?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #260 on: April 05, 2019, 06:23:34 PM »
But if that is what everybody does it would surely make a pretty boring game..... oh wait, isnt that where we seem to be heading? Just because you can, and everybody is doing it doesnt mean its good for the game.

You miss the point. If it's a majority choice then it's not ruining the game. If you don't like it stop doing it but don't tell the other guy what to do.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #261 on: April 05, 2019, 06:28:11 PM »
Answer me this, Why is the best WWII air combat game ever made (Aces High) losing players to other games all the time ? Why do the numbers continue to drop? Why do new players not even finish out their free two weeks?

Seriously? You go on in multiple threads about why HTC is losing players and offer your opinion on how Dale can fix this. Now you admit you don't play other games, revealing you don't know if the things you complain about happening in AHIII exist elsewhere. You're admitting, boldly at this point, that it's actually a mystery to you. Then you ask me, a player that doesn't complain about the things you complain about, what will fix the problem of population drop.

I contend that the population drop is natural. Succeeding generations of online gamers were never attracted to online game play of the nature that AH offers like we were/are. What few younger players that can possibly be lured are an exception, not a rule. I say instead of making up reasons for the loss of players (outside of just plain ol' life or death) we make the most of AH, as is, and stop trying to turn it into a social experiment. Perhaps new players might be inspired to do likewise if they don't see the self inflicted misery.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 05, 2019, 06:42:43 PM »

You say "best WWII air combat game" as if this was an objective fact, which it is not. It's a highly subjective assessment, and not few players would disagree with you and name other titles. ;)

Individual players leaving a game is pretty much standard. Few players stick with a title for years, even in the best times AH probably had an average player subscription retention more measured in months than years, if at all. Almost everything gets boring after some time, unless a title goes great lengths of introducing new toys, challenges, gameplay options all the time.
AH went way behind the curve over the years and didn't keep up with many developments. Outdated GUI appearance, changed expectations in accessibility, new topics&themes appealing to new generation of gamers ('best WWI air combat' doesn't help that much when fewer and fewer gamers are fascinated by that topic at all), a (perceived?) lack of development and evolution, much more overall competition in online gaming, unpopular pricing model... There are lot of things that can have contributed to the decline of numbers.
As the steam release mercilessly showed, most new trials didn't even stick around for half an hour. Apparently they weren't driven away by runners or 'lame BnZ' all the time, they never even got that far to complain about the gameplay.

And that's been AH's biggest problem, I think - the lack of initial appeal to new players. I actually did greatly underestimate this myself, until AH's steam release.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #263 on: April 05, 2019, 06:46:34 PM »

As the steam release mercilessly showed, most new trials didn't even stick around for half an hour.

Bearing in mind that the Steam thing was, itself, born of a community suggestion to save AH.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #264 on: April 05, 2019, 07:00:28 PM »

Eventually "someone" makes this statement and then the only answer they have after being forced into a corner for 3billion pages of purse fighting is: Hitech has to force them to not do what "someone" has decided shouldn't be done, just trust me I know better than you or Hitech.

bustr, how have we been 'forced into a corner'?  Seems to me we are trying to have a debate about an aspect of the game we feel is not working.  I have not attacked anyone for their views nor have I insisted others accept my view.  If you cannot bring something to the discussion why are you here?

At some stage "someone' decided to:

• Change radar settings
  • Add more trees
  • Add a HUD
  • Put walls around GV hangars
  • Reduce visibility of GV tags and make GVs virtually invisible under trees

etc. etc.   Things do change and should change.  Healthy, adult debate is a good thing. 

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #265 on: April 05, 2019, 07:09:00 PM »
bustr, how have we been 'forced into a corner'?  Seems to me we are trying to have a debate about an aspect of the game we feel is not working.  I have not attacked anyone for their views nor have I insisted others accept my view.  If you cannot bring something to the discussion why are you here?

At some stage "someone' decided to:

• Change radar settings
  • Add more trees
  • Add a HUD
  • Put walls around GV hangars
  • Reduce visibility of GV tags and make GVs virtually invisible under trees

etc. etc.   Things do change and should change.  Healthy, adult debate is a good thing.

This thread hasn't gone south. Bustr using the phrase 'backed into a corner' doesn't make that so. Debate away (though I challenge you to make a case that what you're advocating is truly fun inducing for everyone and not some form of forced behavior due to the frustration of a few that think the entire player base 'needs' this).

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #266 on: April 05, 2019, 07:17:51 PM »
Debate away (though I challenge you to make a case that what you're advocating is truly fun inducing for everyone and not some form of forced behavior due to the frustration of a few that think the entire player base 'needs' this).

What is it you think I am advocating?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #267 on: April 05, 2019, 07:20:49 PM »
What is it you think I am advocating?

Some form of forced behavior due to the frustration of a few that think the entire player base 'needs' this.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #268 on: April 05, 2019, 07:21:30 PM »
Bearing in mind that the Steam thing was, itself, born of a community suggestion to save AH.

No disrespect, but I would pretty much eat my hat if HT was not aware of Steam a little bit before the community started pushing hard for it.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #269 on: April 05, 2019, 07:37:04 PM »
Some form of forced behavior due to the frustration of a few that think the entire player base 'needs' this.

This response does nothing but indicate that you will oppose the introduction of any change.  Your opinion is different when it comes to lowering the side switch timer though.  Do you have evidence that the entire player base needs this?

My proposal / wish is to find a way to promote more fighting and less running.  I do not want to remove the option to run, we all run at some stage, I want to make it so that there is a reasonable mix of gameplay.  I have not even proposed a mechanism to do this yet because after 19 pages of to and fro we still cannot even agree that a problem exists.

I am not sure why people instantly think the worst and go on the attack as soon as someone says...'hey is there a better way of doing this'?