Author Topic: Gun Selections on planes with MG 7.9  (Read 1425 times)

Offline BBP

• Copper Member
Gun Selections on planes with MG 7.9
« on: April 29, 2019, 11:29:53 AM »
Can we please get the option of not taking the 7.9 MG on planes like 109G-2. They come standard with 1000 rounds. It gets old on every flight shooting them off during take off to lighten the nose of the plane.
Just asking, for those that like them - no need to comment.
 :bhead :bhead :bhead

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Gun Selections on planes with MG 7.9
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 11:36:24 AM »
I just want to be able to tell the crew chief to unmount the MGs in the 190K4, myself.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 12:12:36 PM »
Can we please get the option of not taking the 7.9 MG on planes like 109G-2. They come standard with 1000 rounds. It gets old on every flight shooting them off during take off to lighten the nose of the plane.

Have you ever heard even one instance of a 109 pilot doing this historically? I have not.

I'd much prefer if out 190A-8 had a loadout with the 13mm MG's removed - that actually existed. 
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 05:25:06 PM »
Have you ever heard even one instance of a 109 pilot doing this historically? I have not.

I'd much prefer if out 190A-8 had a loadout with the 13mm MG's removed - that actually existed. 

With the 30mm's onboard, removing the 13mm's was standard.

Not that I use the MK108 30mms, with only 60 rounds in each gun, 4*20mms are better if you meet pesky fighters, and do the job against all planes except the B26.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 02:38:38 PM »
Not to mention that it turns our A8 into a bastard aircraft like the old G10 (which ironically wasn't entirely incorrect).

IIRC it's doing duty for mid A6 production all the way through the specialized bomber-buster A8's in one aircraft.
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 12:26:02 AM »
I've killed a lot of airplanes with those 13mm MG's! I think the removal of so much mass from the airframe should come at a substantial price, and right now that price is what it does to your gunnery percentage. I do not see that a change is required.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 04:36:22 PM »
I've killed a lot of airplanes with those 13mm MG's! I think the removal of so much mass from the airframe should come at a substantial price, and right now that price is what it does to your gunnery percentage. I do not see that a change is required.

The price is that you lose the guns, thus limiting the total killing potential. The fact is, the removed 13mm MG loudout is historical and would help make our overweight pig of an A-8 more viable as a fighter.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline BBP

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 07:04:38 PM »
Guys! I was reffering to the 7.5 guns and I did not say REMONE them! I said we should have the option of taking them or not. A choice of loading them or not.  :banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 07:14:14 PM »
I don't think 7.92mm guns were removed on any of the loadouts we have.

If we had wing tanks for the 190, or the 109, then yes. But we need either the tanks or the 6 cannon 190's for that.
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 11:41:06 AM »
The price is that you lose the guns, thus limiting the total killing potential. The fact is, the removed 13mm MG loudout is historical and would help make our overweight pig of an A-8 more viable as a fighter.

Well, you'll have to get that one past Hitech. Somehow I doubt it's going to get through. Hitech has a tendency to disallow changes that will benefit one style over another. Losing the kind of weight you're asking for would be a major advantage.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline 230G

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 09:25:55 AM »

Sorry, I just have to comment.

First, the ammunition for the 7.9's isn't really in the nose, it's behind the engine, over the front section of the wings. In fact the rear of the MG's are over the front of the cockpit. Second, the 7.9mm cartridges, if modeled correctly, weigh approximately 1 oz. apiece. So if you shoot off all 1,000 rounds you've eliminated a paltry 125 lbs. or so.

35Whelen
If you approach from me from my 12:00 you will be unapologetically HO'ed.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 10:30:14 AM »
Sorry, I just have to comment.

First, the ammunition for the 7.9's isn't really in the nose, it's behind the engine, over the front section of the wings. In fact the rear of the MG's are over the front of the cockpit. Second, the 7.9mm cartridges, if modeled correctly, weigh approximately 1 oz. apiece. So if you shoot off all 1,000 rounds you've eliminated a paltry 125 lbs. or so.

35Whelen

Plus the weight of the guns. It has to be significant or they wouldn't be asking for it.

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 11:36:05 AM »
Plus the weight of the guns. It has to be significant or they wouldn't be asking for it.

He's not asking for the guns though, just the ammo to not be brought.  But thats not going to happen.
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 12:06:46 PM »
He's not asking for the guns though, just the ammo to not be brought.  But thats not going to happen.

In any case, it almost certainly never happened historically.

Second, the 7.9mm cartridges, if modeled correctly, weigh approximately 1 oz. apiece. So if you shoot off all 1,000 rounds you've eliminated a paltry 125 lbs. or so.

In game, expending all the 7.9mm rounds in a 109F-4 or G-2 only saves 65 Lbs.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline 230G

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2019, 12:31:24 PM »
In any case, it almost certainly never happened historically.

In game, expending all the 7.9mm rounds in a 109F-4 or G-2 only saves 65 Lbs.

Correct. My point was based on the 109-E which carries 1000 per gun.

35Whelen
If you approach from me from my 12:00 you will be unapologetically HO'ed.