Author Topic: X55 Rhino  (Read 2976 times)

Offline FBDragon

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Nickel Member
X55 Rhino
« on: May 01, 2019, 01:43:07 AM »
Sorry my spelling sux but you get the point (I hope),

My joystick is having major issues during flight now and I'm wondering if anybody has any ideas on how to fix it. When I first try to move the stick it sticks in place, I have to slightly jerk it to get it to move which knocks me out in aiming if I'm trying to shoot, (it knocks me out of whack on my shot if you know what I mean). It's a Saitek X55 Rhino joystick I've had for 4 years now ( I got it when they first came out) and don't want to have to get rid of it. It's the only problem I've got with it and I really like it a lot. If you know of a fix or have a idea on how to fix it can you please let me know. It's a great stick and I really don't want to replace it if you know what I mean!!! Thanks Guys :cheers: :salute
Kommando Nowotny
XO
To Win The Winter Sky
Gl 1/Jg 11

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: X55 Rhino
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 08:48:44 AM »
I was going to say it's about dirty pots by the symptoms but according to Saitek it has contactless HALL sensors so that's not it.

Supposedly you have calibrated it both in Windows and in the game but if you haven't, do it just in case. Both of the calibrating tools will show if there's spikiness or extra movement so looking at them will give you some more information in any case.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 09:33:37 AM »
does the stick physically get stuck, or does the action  on the screen lag/get stuck?

if it's on the screen see Bizmans suggestion,  if it is physically,  then your going to have to open it up. Mine lasted less than two years. I had worn out hat switches, actually it was the hat, not the switches themselves. 

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 10:02:25 AM »
I had worn out hat switches, actually it was the hat, not the switches themselves.
Was it a stick with rails along each four sides, screwed to the bottom of the switch cavity? That should be relatively easy to either 3D print or carve out of a single piece of plastic or aluminium.

Back to the original post, yes, looking inside after checking the calibration is the logical next step. One thing I've noticed with some plastic axles is that after a while they lose their shiny surface which increases friction and grinding. The plastic smithereens are often static so they stick to every surface near. A suitable lubricant is needed in those cases and thorough cleaning where there's any motion sensors and such.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 02:36:04 PM »
I have no experience with your particular stick but my thinking is this. Since there are no pots to wear out and it's a contractless system you can rule out what had always been the problem with old school sticks which is a worn or dirty pot. I'd be looking at the physical wiring connection from the gimbal to the circuit board. Every time you move the stick around you're moving the wires it uses to communicate the signal regarding the stick position. I'd bet either one of the connectors is loose at the circuit board or (Hopefully not) a wire on that harness is broken. That might not be so easy to track down as it might not be obvious if it's broken inside the insulation. What you're describing would be symptomatic of a wiring issue.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Force using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 02:39:05 PM »
If you can get the thing apart, try wiggling the gimbal wires without moving the stick. If you get a lot of jerking around-- there's your problem.

Try gently popping the connectors off the board and push them back on. Wiggle again and see if it stops.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Force using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 02:55:18 PM »
If you're describing physical jerkiness, have you tried lubing your gimbal with some silicon based lubricant?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 04:30:32 PM »
Let me know if you can't get it fixed Dragun.  I've got you covered. I've got a few of those laying around at home that I've never even taken out of the box. I never could get used to the way they center, but I liked the throttle and couldn't buy it separate.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 12:31:18 AM »
my rhino loses calibration every other day.  usually while I am flying.  has a tendency to pull up.  i normally just land and calibrate.  I should recalibrate every time I log on but I am too stupid.  it is still a really good stick, I was one of the first one to get it.  couple of toggle switches have gone out but I still love it.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline FBDragon

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 03:19:13 AM »
It's a physical issue, when I move the stick it actually sticks at the beginning of trying to move it. I'll try to lubricate it and see what that does. Thanks guys, I'll let you know what that does!!!  :cheers: :salute
Kommando Nowotny
XO
To Win The Winter Sky
Gl 1/Jg 11

Offline FBDragon

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 03:21:56 AM »
Let me know if you can't get it fixed Dragun.  I've got you covered. I've got a few of those laying around at home that I've never even taken out of the box. I never could get used to the way they center, but I liked the throttle and couldn't buy it separate.

Thanks, I'll let you know, My score have drastically dropped cause of the issue. I miss shots I normally never miss!!! :cheers: :salute
Kommando Nowotny
XO
To Win The Winter Sky
Gl 1/Jg 11

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 10:20:13 AM »
I had the same problem it had reached a point where cleaning the base below the spring with Kleenex was getting poor results.  I removed the top half and spring did a clean with Kleenex, canned air and finally a light coat of three and one oil.  It now works good as new. :banana:
AkCaine

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2019, 03:49:53 AM »
I removed the round plastic bit that fits under the spring, and hacked about a 1/4 inch of plastic it from it so it's not so tight.

Offline noman

• Copper Member
      • http://yahoo.com
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2019, 02:37:32 PM »
my rhino loses calibration every other day.  usually while I am flying.  has a tendency to pull up.  i normally just land and calibrate.  I should recalibrate every time I log on but I am too stupid.  it is still a really good stick, I was one of the first one to get it.  couple of toggle switches have gone out but I still love it.

semp
You know you can recalibrate without landing. Just bring up the clipboard and turn on autopilot then calibrate. Autopilot will stick while you calibrate.
Quote by Delirium:
Frankly, I'd rather be a fluffer at a gay porcupine film company than be a CM.
God bless the CMs for putting up with this community.
Sic Pups        MA
412th FNVG   FSO

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2019, 01:04:42 AM »
You know you can recalibrate without landing. Just bring up the clipboard and turn on autopilot then calibrate. Autopilot will stick while you calibrate.

I know but i do enjoy the ranting and squeaking and whining and cussing that comes when i land :).  it relieves stress.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.