Author Topic: Another 737 down  (Read 33452 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Re: Another 737 down
« Reply #210 on: May 15, 2019, 11:51:32 AM »
Another point of interest to me: what's the name of the jumpseat pilot that saved the Lion Air aircraft on the day before the crash?

I've looked for this info, being interested in the jumpseater's background/training. I have been unable to find anything at all on this guy.

Funny because you would think he would be being lauded as a hero.

Anyone know who it was?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #211 on: May 15, 2019, 12:32:50 PM »
He was just lucky. He thought the unreliable airspeed messed with the auto trim and cut the switches. He improvised and it happened to be the right call.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #212 on: May 15, 2019, 01:06:57 PM »
They are only useless if you do not understand them.
Understand it completely. Still was absolutely useless and didn’t relate to the thread at all or anyone in it. This is an online forum why keep trying to throw little jabs?
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #213 on: May 15, 2019, 01:35:18 PM »
He was just lucky. He thought the unreliable airspeed messed with the auto trim and cut the switches. He improvised and it happened to be the right call.

How is it you know what he thought? 

Much more likely that he used his obvious experience and training in the jet and got involved out of self preservation.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #214 on: May 15, 2019, 02:08:17 PM »

So this jumpseat pilot has identified himself and described the incident? You are restating what he said?

Do you have a link?

Or are you just speculating and speaking for this unknown aviator?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #215 on: May 15, 2019, 02:23:23 PM »
This is about the pilot from Bloomberg News but, if I read it correctly, the Indonesian government is withholding his name while the incident is still under investigation. Says he knew to disable the trim system that was forcing the nose down. And supposedly part of the checklist the crew is supposed to memorize. The plane in question also had ongoing issues that the maintenance group were not getting resolved. How was this plane allowed in the air in the face of that and now ..... crickets out of Indonesia....... just like Ethiopia...... chirp.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-19/how-an-extra-man-in-cockpit-saved-a-737-max-that-later-crashed
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #216 on: May 15, 2019, 02:24:19 PM »

Is it BEA - French accident investigator - that has the lead? 

Have they done stuff in the past that concerns you?

No
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #217 on: May 15, 2019, 03:18:37 PM »
This is about the pilot from Bloomberg News but, if I read it correctly, the Indonesian government is withholding his name while the incident is still under investigation. Says he knew to disable the trim system that was forcing the nose down. And supposedly part of the checklist the crew is supposed to memorize. The plane in question also had ongoing issues that the maintenance group were not getting resolved. How was this plane allowed in the air in the face of that and now ..... crickets out of Indonesia....... just like Ethiopia...... chirp.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-19/how-an-extra-man-in-cockpit-saved-a-737-max-that-later-crashed

We have a winner.   :cheers:
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #218 on: May 15, 2019, 03:38:54 PM »

:rofl

SMH. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #219 on: May 15, 2019, 03:42:53 PM »

You’re probably right. To bad the peanut gallery will say otherwise.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #220 on: May 15, 2019, 03:44:48 PM »
So this jumpseat pilot has identified himself and described the incident? You are restating what he said?

Do you have a link?

Or are you just speculating and speaking for this unknown aviator?

His is uninformed speculation that is at odds with everything I’ve read that’s worth listening to about the incident.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #221 on: May 15, 2019, 03:57:07 PM »
How is it you know what he thought? 

Much more likely that he used his obvious experience and training in the jet and got involved out of self preservation.

Bingo.   And that’s what the reports I have read clearly state.

This is a prime example of why professionals brief their jumpseater(s) to speak up if they see something wrong. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #222 on: May 15, 2019, 05:58:03 PM »
You’re probably right. To bad the peanut gallery will say otherwise.

Yup - after 46 years of flying airplanes, 39 of them as a professional, I now know how lucky I am that I fluked it right so many times. Thank you Ace.

You don't get it - we won't ever know the complete truth of all the factors that contributed these crashes. Obviously the intervention of the MCAS was a factor, I don't argue that, but I want to know everything about the maintenance records, the pilot training records, the weight of the airplane, the CofG of the airplane, how the performance numbers for every takeoff are calculated (and who does them). I could go on and on with this list but hopefully you get what I want to get to the bottom of.

But I remain convinced that politics and vested interests have already biased what will be revealed in the final report such that only Boeing will be found to be culpable; and that does nothing to serve the goal of enhancing aviation safety worldwide.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #223 on: May 15, 2019, 06:03:54 PM »
That is why Nikki Haley was suddenly placed on the Board of Boeing.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #224 on: May 15, 2019, 10:52:41 PM »
Understand it completely. Still was absolutely useless and didn’t relate to the thread at all or anyone in it. This is an online forum why keep trying to throw little jabs?

Perhaps you should read some of your postings.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)