Author Topic: Another 737 down  (Read 32875 times)

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
Re: Another 737 down
« Reply #135 on: May 13, 2019, 03:33:45 PM »
the last paragraph of your post vraciu is very telling. Why is safety an “option”. That’s down right ignorant for Boeing to sell safety features as options.

Let me buy a truck for 80,000. Oh but for 85,000 you can have airbags.

To quote our resident expert it just gets ridiculous at some point.

Boeing made a mistake. Damn right they are paying for it. Sadly it was at the cost of several human lives.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #136 on: May 13, 2019, 03:35:26 PM »
Why not add more sensors? Instead of just 1 or even 2 why not more? As far as I know they utilize just 1 sensor correct? If so why? That’s horrible engineering practice to have something that impacts the plane so much to only be tied to one little bell and whistle. Again, yes we know there is a on/off switch but before it even gets to that point why not have more control over the MCAS system with more AOA sensor. Surely adding that wouldn’t bankrupt the company.

So we can agree Boeing has a huge fault here in this situation. That’s my point. They effed up. Now they have plenty of time to fix the AOA sensor issue.

Two sensors are pretty much the norm, at least the models I flew.  Why add more sensors just to fix a pilot performance issue?  Again, yeah Boeing blew it big time with the secret keeping at the beginning.

For reference, the two sensors are circled in red.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 03:39:20 PM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #137 on: May 13, 2019, 03:37:52 PM »
Two sensors are pretty much the norm, at least the models I flew.  Why add more sensors just to fix pilot performance issue?  Again, yeah Boeing blew it big time with the secret keeping at the beginning.

You’re wasting your time...
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
« Reply #138 on: May 13, 2019, 03:38:59 PM »
With only two sensors, if one malfunctions, how do you know which one to trust?  If it had 3 or even 5 sensors, the computer could go with the sensors that agreed.
Currently ignoring Vraciu as he is a whoopeeed retard.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #139 on: May 13, 2019, 03:41:42 PM »
With only two sensors, if one malfunctions, how do you know which one to trust?  If it had 3 or even 5 sensors, the computer could go with the sensors that agreed.

That’s why you have a pilot. 

When HAL tries to close the pod bay doors you need a human to solve the problem. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #140 on: May 13, 2019, 03:42:16 PM »
Two sensors are pretty much the norm, at least the models I flew.  Why add more sensors just to fix a pilot performance issue?  Again, yeah Boeing blew it big time with the secret keeping at the beginning.

So 2 is the norm. Makes senses. That’s all you SHOULD need. However, why is it sold as an option? That’s plain ignorant to sell a safety feature. Just make it standard. That part is a lawsuit in itself.

The Few

-Spek

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2019, 03:46:47 PM »
Doesn’t change the basic principal of cleaning the system. You want it after the pump not before. Only before, after acidic refrigerant has been introduced. By then it’s already to late.

Let’s not derail any further. If you’d like to learn more we can PM about it.

OK.... go out and raise the hood of your vehicle. Note where the desiccant is located. Your shrader to fill is generally located near there as it is the low side.

This really has nothing to do with this thread other than waiting on you to post how simple the 737 is. We are still waiting for your response.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #142 on: May 13, 2019, 03:48:53 PM »

Or, the pilots could dummy down, look out the window, and FLY THE JET.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #143 on: May 13, 2019, 03:52:05 PM »
the last paragraph of your post vraciu is very telling. Why is safety an “option”. That’s down right ignorant for Boeing to sell safety features as options.

Let me buy a truck for 80,000. Oh but for 85,000 you can have airbags.

To quote our resident expert it just gets ridiculous at some point.

Boeing made a mistake. Damn right they are paying for it. Sadly it was at the cost of several human lives.

Actually options are lane keeping assist, sensors if you are closing on a vehicle too fast, backing sensors, backing cameras. I am sure there are others.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #144 on: May 13, 2019, 03:52:36 PM »
OK.... go out and raise the hood of your vehicle. Note where the desiccant is located. Your shrader to fill is generally located near there as it is the low side.

This really has nothing to do with this thread other than waiting on you to post how simple the 737 is. We are still waiting for your response.

He doesn’t have a response other than to troll.

Actually options are lane keeping assist, sensors if you are closing on a vehicle too fast, backing sensors, backing cameras. I am sure there are others.

Exactly.

As for the AOA sensors, two is standard.   MCAS apparently only uses one sensor for info unless the CUSTOMER CHOOSES the option of using both.   This latter point I have only seen bandied about.   I as yet cannot cite a BOEING or FAA source. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #145 on: May 13, 2019, 03:55:39 PM »

You took the lead I was just answering your wrong theory crafted (probably googled) answer. There’s many ways to skin a cat. Doesn’t make it the right way.

As for how simple the 737 is I have never made such claim. I know for a fact just looking inside the cockpit it’s not a simple machine. So please do not assume I am thinking it is simple. Assuming only makes a you know what. :aok

The Few

-Spek

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #146 on: May 13, 2019, 03:57:04 PM »
Believe at your peril.   I am quite certain all 737s with glass cockpits would at least have the AOA band on the PFD airspeed tape.

https://theaircurrent.com/aviation-safety/southwest-airlines-is-adding-new-angle-of-attack-indicators-to-its-737-max-fleet/

Lion Air’s 737 Max aircraft, similar to many low-cost airlines, do not have those same heads-up displays [that Southwest does] installed on its 737 fleet and most 737 Max operators do not have the added AOA indicators on the heads-down flight displays today. According to photos and video footage reviewed by The Air Current, the Lion Air Max fleet does not have the visual AOA indicators installed on its primary flight displays. Additionally, Lion Air did not have the same AOA DISAGREE light that are on Southwest’s aircraft, according to a report from Reuters.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 04:14:27 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #147 on: May 13, 2019, 03:58:39 PM »
Believe at your peril. 

https://theaircurrent.com/aviation-safety/southwest-airlines-is-adding-new-angle-of-attack-indicators-to-its-737-max-fleet/

Lion Air’s 737 Max aircraft, similar to many low-cost airlines, do not have those same heads-up displays [that Southwest does] installed on its 737 fleet and most 737 Max operators do not have the added AOA indicators on the heads-down flight displays today. According to photos and video footage reviewed by The Air Current, the Lion Air Max fleet does not have the visual AOA indicators installed on its primary flight displays. Additionally, Lion Air did not have the same AOA DISAGREE light that are on Southwest’s aircraft, according to a report from Reuters.

May I ask do you know when this was published? 

The Few

-Spek

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #148 on: May 13, 2019, 04:01:53 PM »

Believe you are getting what we call “accumulators” and what you are calling desiccant mixed up. Two total similar looking devices with two different purposes.

The Few

-Spek

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #149 on: May 13, 2019, 04:14:21 PM »
You took the lead I was just answering your wrong theory crafted (probably googled) answer. There’s many ways to skin a cat. Doesn’t make it the right way.

As for how simple the 737 is I have never made such claim. I know for a fact just looking inside the cockpit it’s not a simple machine. So please do not assume I am thinking it is simple. Assuming only makes a you know what. :aok

LOL you are clueless.

You did compare the 737 and refrigeration. That is why I posted about refrigeration.

Those of us raised long a go can do lots of things.  A/C is just one of many things I know how to work on.
80th FS "Headhunters"