Author Topic: Another 737 down  (Read 32867 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Re: Another 737 down
« Reply #450 on: May 29, 2019, 09:53:14 PM »

Wow.  Wouldn’t be much fun to fly the -26 in South Texas then.

Well, a -26 can easily be converted to look like a 19. That canopy comes off pretty easy and is worth a lot of money to the right people because all those parts are hard to find.. The problem is finding the windscreen frames for the -19 transition. Those are pretty hard to find too; the guy that rebuilt my aircraft made them from Fairchild drawings. Engine parts are easier by far.

Both of those things have been done by various folks though. A true -26 has some stuff a 19A or 19B does not have, like a big floor mounted compass and upper and lower ID lights. The cockpits each had a Morse code key so the lights could be used to signal via Morse. Of course, those parts are hard to find to, especially the Morse keys.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #451 on: May 29, 2019, 09:54:36 PM »
Ace the Ranger L440 was an air cooled inverted inline 6. Hence no radiator. It was a low compression, low revving (<2500) motor that used a pressurized oil system.
Technically it is not drinking oil... it's actually consuming the oil as it both lubricates and helps to cool the engine. Antiquated by today's standards but it worked.
The R2800 on the Convair 440 I flew in the late 60's used oil by the gallon per hour doing the same job.

Makes sense. Thanks for that post.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #452 on: May 29, 2019, 10:20:53 PM »
Good stuff, Toad.   :aok
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #453 on: May 30, 2019, 12:56:18 AM »
OK, I admit I don't get the connection with Nikki Hailey. How does her presence on the board change anything?

Also, a $100k donation to a Presidential campaign is pocket change when you consider the Trump campaign spent about $1 billion. How does that contribution become a player in the MAX grounding?

So, clue me in here. What's the significance?

Nikki Hailey just spent two years at the UN running interference for Trump against the world. The MAX issue is a world issue and she is still inside of her shelf life for back channel credibility and has a security clearance. Why give the Dems a free lunch when they have screwed lesser people for wearing MAGA hats in public? The amount could have been $20 and that is enough to place Boeing in the bad Orange Man's camp. Boeing gave to his election campaign and not Hilliery's. Look at his economy now. Grounding the fleet and one Executive falling on his sword publicly was the simple thing to do and it cut the lynch mob off before they knew they were supposed to be outraged by the media narrative of: Boeing killed people with a faulty design while hiding the knowledge for years. That is how it was spun for a few days, the fleet was grounded, and an Executive lost his job, even though the MAX flew safely in the US for years before those two crashes happened. And now you don't hear anything about the two airlines or their pilots since too close of scrutiny started painting a poor picture regarding maintenance and pilot quality.

Boeing is too important to the US economy to allow them dragged through the muck with any chance the Dems would bankrupt them for being on the bad orange man's side. They are that angry at Trump, destroying Boeing would help hurt Trump's economy. They do not care about the US if it's not under their control. Look how bad it was just before Trump turned it around. We were told to accpet a 1.3 GDP and high unemployment across the board as the new normal and all the pain that goes with an economy that anemic. And I remember listening to the last guy tell a citizen, just live with it becasue it could never be changed in our new world economy. Nikki was a pretty obvious move since getting the worldwide fleet back in the air will take the same kinds of relationships she had as the ambassador to the UN while needing a security clearance at that high of a level. My father retired NSA and was still contracted by state to ferry high value Soviet persons up and down the Eastern seaboard becasue he spoke Russian and had a clearance. Then my mother retired from NSA a few years later.

Haven't most of you guys reached the shelf life on your clearances?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #454 on: May 30, 2019, 05:28:27 AM »
Nikki Hailey just spent two years at the UN running interference for Trump against the world. The MAX issue is a world issue and she is still inside of her shelf life for back channel credibility and has a security clearance. Why give the Dems a free lunch when they have screwed lesser people for wearing MAGA hats in public? The amount could have been $20 and that is enough to place Boeing in the bad Orange Man's camp. Boeing gave to his election campaign and not Hilliery's. Look at his economy now. Grounding the fleet and one Executive falling on his sword publicly was the simple thing to do and it cut the lynch mob off before they knew they were supposed to be outraged by the media narrative of: Boeing killed people with a faulty design while hiding the knowledge for years. That is how it was spun for a few days, the fleet was grounded, and an Executive lost his job, even though the MAX flew safely in the US for years before those two crashes happened. And now you don't hear anything about the two airlines or their pilots since too close of scrutiny started painting a poor picture regarding maintenance and pilot quality.

Boeing is too important to the US economy to allow them dragged through the muck with any chance the Dems would bankrupt them for being on the bad orange man's side. They are that angry at Trump, destroying Boeing would help hurt Trump's economy. They do not care about the US if it's not under their control. Look how bad it was just before Trump turned it around. We were told to accpet a 1.3 GDP and high unemployment across the board as the new normal and all the pain that goes with an economy that anemic. And I remember listening to the last guy tell a citizen, just live with it becasue it could never be changed in our new world economy. Nikki was a pretty obvious move since getting the worldwide fleet back in the air will take the same kinds of relationships she had as the ambassador to the UN while needing a security clearance at that high of a level. My father retired NSA and was still contracted by state to ferry high value Soviet persons up and down the Eastern seaboard becasue he spoke Russian and had a clearance. Then my mother retired from NSA a few years later.

Thanks for reminding us what this thread is about. I am out of here. Good talk Toad!
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #455 on: May 30, 2019, 08:35:54 AM »
The more I think about it the more I am convinced Haley’s appointment to the board was payback for her help getting that plant built in SC.   She knew/knows where all the bodies are buried and helped stave off a unionization effort.    Boeing gave her a fluff job as a thank you. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #456 on: May 30, 2019, 09:47:17 AM »

I really hope Mel Gibson and Julia Roberts come back for "Conspiracy Theory 2" :rolleyes:
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #457 on: May 30, 2019, 10:35:25 AM »

Rule number #1 of the NSA club. Do not talk about the NSA club.

The Few

-Spek

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #458 on: May 30, 2019, 12:42:53 PM »
Why, I used to visit my mother at the Ft. Meade main building to do joint credit union account signatures in the building while she worked for NSA as a Russian military analyst. Half our family friends were senior analysts my parents worked with and my father flew with at the Ft. Meade flying club. ACE you really are a tiny minded dork.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #459 on: May 30, 2019, 12:49:38 PM »
Why, I used to visit my mother at the Ft. Meade main building to do joint credit union account signatures in the building while she worked for NSA as a Russian military analyst. Half our family friends were senior analysts my parents worked with and my father flew with at the Ft. Meade flying club. ACE you really are a tiny minded dork.

Damn bustr it was a movie quote. Relax!  I’m not over here calling you names jeez man :rofl

The Few

-Spek

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #460 on: May 31, 2019, 08:34:24 AM »
An interesting article by another American airline pilot in AOPA's Friday update.  Hope the link works for everyone (who isn't already in AOPA).  I thought this part was interesting, in light of the preceding pages of this thread:

While foreign airlines were quick to ground the Max, the United States lagged behind in grounding. Why? I’m sure national pride and hobbling a giant U.S. manufacturer had something to do with it, but part of it was because many U.S. pilots, myself included, felt confident that we knew exactly what to do if MCAS attempted to wrest control of our airplane. As further evidence emerged from the accidents, however, it became clear that grounding the airplanes was the right thing to do.

Good points in the rest of the article as well:

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2019/july/pilot/turbine-stretched-to-the-max?utm_source=epilot&utm_medium=email

- oldman

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #461 on: May 31, 2019, 08:52:55 AM »
He says grounding was the right thing to do but I missed the reason why.

He mentions the difficulty in manual trimming without mentioning the incorrect thrust setting that exacerbated it.

He also mentions how every 737 pilot learned about MCAS after the first crash, without commenting on the Ethiopian pilots still seeming to be unprepared for it.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #462 on: May 31, 2019, 08:54:25 AM »
An interesting article by another American airline pilot in AOPA's Friday update.  Hope the link works for everyone (who isn't already in AOPA).  I thought this part was interesting, in light of the preceding pages of this thread:

While foreign airlines were quick to ground the Max, the United States lagged behind in grounding. Why? I’m sure national pride and hobbling a giant U.S. manufacturer had something to do with it, but part of it was because many U.S. pilots, myself included, felt confident that we knew exactly what to do if MCAS attempted to wrest control of our airplane. As further evidence emerged from the accidents, however, it became clear that grounding the airplanes was the right thing to do.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2019/july/pilot/turbine-stretched-to-the-max?utm_source=epilot&utm_medium=email

- oldman

Sounds like he read our thread. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #463 on: May 31, 2019, 08:55:29 AM »
He says grounding was the right thing to do but I missed the reason why.

He mentions the difficulty in manual trimming without mentioning the incorrect thrust setting that exacerbated it.

He also mentions how every 737 pilot learned about MCAS after the first crash, without commenting on the Ethiopian pilots still seeming to be unprepared for it.

He mentioned point number two.

”Further, power was left at the takeoff setting, increasing airspeed to and beyond VMO, setting off yet another alarm (overspeed clacker) and putting yet higher loads on the tail.”

I agree with the rest of your comment.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 09:22:24 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #464 on: May 31, 2019, 08:57:21 AM »

- oldman

He would be correct in his reasoning for grounding. It’s supposed to be fixed by August I read the other day :aok

The Few

-Spek