Author Topic: Why bother?  (Read 26459 times)

Offline Biggamer

• Nickel Member
Re: Why bother?
« Reply #165 on: May 23, 2019, 10:08:15 AM »
i honestly dont think the learning curve is any bigger here then it is on the other games if you wanna play at a high level they all have a big learning curve the difference is other games you are in combat most of the time so you are learning all the time here you are on climb out or RTB or chasing someone for a new player you spend 10 mins on climb out die in 2 turns and start over so you got what 20 seconds of learning time thats the problem you spend too much time doing nothing its not the dang learning curve being any bigger.

also the UI is very bad the ENTER key should open and close the text buffer like on almost every other game also most other games use TAB or M to open the map.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 10:11:48 AM by Biggamer »
G3-MF

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #166 on: May 23, 2019, 10:55:09 AM »
Yeah but that's just the nature of this kind of game. Other games have periods of general nothingness too. I watched my son in law playing call of duty or something like spent a lot of time just picking around the area looking for stuff. Not engaged with anybody and there were a dozen around him - - doing the same thing! Eventually he gets zapped by somebody hiding under a bridge. Bam! Twenty minutes of hiking around followed by two tenths of a second of combat! I'm sure our GV crowd can relate! So it is what it is. Can't hate the game - - whatever the game may be. But ya can hate the player. Because it seems these guys are everywhere, in every game. The game is what you make it and that's something each player decides. Make rules? Change arena settings? They'll find a way around them.

As for the UI I don't know what you could do to dumb that down. It's a flight sim and there are a lot of things to configure.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Force using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #167 on: May 23, 2019, 11:28:59 AM »
Yeah but that's just the nature of this kind of game. Other games have periods of general nothingness too. I watched my son in law playing call of duty or something like spent a lot of time just picking around the area looking for stuff. Not engaged with anybody and there were a dozen around him - - doing the same thing! Eventually he gets zapped by somebody hiding under a bridge. Bam! Twenty minutes of hiking around followed by two tenths of a second of combat! I'm sure our GV crowd can relate! So it is what it is. Can't hate the game - - whatever the game may be. But ya can hate the player. Because it seems these guys are everywhere, in every game. The game is what you make it and that's something each player decides. Make rules? Change arena settings? They'll find a way around them.

As for the UI I don't know what you could do to dumb that down. It's a flight sim and there are a lot of things to configure.

Bridge camping is lazy, unfair and not at all good for the game! Fix COD now!  :D

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #168 on: May 23, 2019, 02:40:09 PM »
In real life, they spent an hour or more headed toward their 3 seconds of combat and then either dying or riding a chute into the hands of the enemy.    Of course, their combat experience was often coming in at 30k feet only find the enemy above them.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 02:42:10 PM by icepac »

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #169 on: May 23, 2019, 02:43:03 PM »
In real life, they spent an hour or more headed toward their 3 seconds of combat and then either dying or riding a chute into the hands of the enemy.

It's a game.  The time to fight is a popular thing to harp on.  Personally I don't mind it all that much because the open world gives us options in how we want to approach the fight, but it's one of the reasons the game is less popular than others.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #170 on: May 23, 2019, 03:13:18 PM »
About the only aspect of this game that's closer to what the short attention span crowd would be looking for is combat challenge. Air spawns literally a minute away from the battle area, fairly well matched planeset, lather rinse repeat.

Shame it only runs on the week FSO is off. Strangely, it's fairly well attended while attempts at a regular fighter town arena in the past had seen mostly crickets. Go figure.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #171 on: May 23, 2019, 03:21:25 PM »
About the only aspect of this game that's closer to what the short attention span crowd would be looking for is combat challenge. Air spawns literally a minute away from the battle area, fairly well matched planeset, lather rinse repeat.

Shame it only runs on the week FSO is off. Strangely, it's fairly well attended while attempts at a regular fighter town arena in the past had seen mostly crickets. Go figure.

I'd expect that's because it's expected there will be a decent amount of people on both sides participating in the same way.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #172 on: May 23, 2019, 03:25:21 PM »

Combat challenge is really a lot of fun.

The reason why fighter town arenas aren't working is because you need at least 3-6 people in an arena at all times. No one opens an arena called FFA or Team Deathatch and leaves it open all day. The AVA is limited so that may turn players off. There's just not enough people in the arena to spark it. The Match play is too convoluted, and doesn't play like a team death match arena. When you look at how the old FFA or TDM arenas were set up in the H2H. You see nothing like those set ups today, which is unfortunate...
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #173 on: May 23, 2019, 04:28:07 PM »
Wish I still had access to my Shuff's Paradise. I could update it to AHIII and host it. Was always fun ion there. Even with the limits of H2H numbers.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #174 on: May 23, 2019, 04:31:22 PM »
I find the biggest enemy is the absolute desire to win. As a child I would play with a purpose to not just win, but to learn as well. I didn't mind getting shot down or outflown because I knew I would learn and become better. Its something I've become aware of recently and have changed my thought processes about it and I am starting to enjoy games much more again because I don't expect to win but I know its a learning experience as well. Of course there are some people out there with insane talent which probably makes the whole thing a breeze.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #175 on: May 23, 2019, 04:56:09 PM »
I find the biggest enemy is the absolute desire to win. As a child I would play with a purpose to not just win, but to learn as well. I didn't mind getting shot down or outflown because I knew I would learn and become better. Its something I've become aware of recently and have changed my thought processes about it and I am starting to enjoy games much more again because I don't expect to win but I know its a learning experience as well. Of course there are some people out there with insane talent which probably makes the whole thing a breeze.
I understand your sentiment here...BUT. Isnt the "desire to win" what keeps us here and trying to get better? To be the shooter down, not the shot down? Like you, I guess its still fun for me as like you, I expect to loose more often than not. Its more a desire to get better than it is to win, but getting better means you do win more :cheers: I still say its the VENOM from some players that is biggest hurdle to retaining players. Saw it just last night...and NOT ON 200 :mad: New player changed sides and OMG heaven forbid the enemy up bombers for a CV after this...was ugly :furious
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #176 on: May 23, 2019, 05:57:10 PM »
I understand your sentiment here...BUT. Isnt the "desire to win" what keeps us here and trying to get better? To be the shooter down, not the shot down? Like you, I guess its still fun for me as like you, I expect to loose more often than not. Its more a desire to get better than it is to win, but getting better means you do win more :cheers: I still say its the VENOM from some players that is biggest hurdle to retaining players. Saw it just last night...and NOT ON 200 :mad: New player changed sides and OMG heaven forbid the enemy up bombers for a CV after this...was ugly :furious

Well I think we all have a desire to win, its just if its that alone it could be detrimental to your (and possibly others) experience.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #177 on: May 23, 2019, 08:30:11 PM »
The point of the tread , I think , never even got to "winning or losing". Two guys ran away and the third did nothing but pull for a HO, in a single flight. Yup, I "lost" because I failed to dodge the THIRD HO attempt, but again the point is why would anyone both to continue to play if these are the types of (laughingly call) combat a player sees.

It could be one of the reasons you dont see players from other flight sims stick around. They come in expecting "combat" and instead spend their time "chasing" players or "dodgin hos". Why would they stay?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #178 on: May 23, 2019, 09:19:16 PM »
one of those who ran actually died, guess he didn't run fast enough.  as for the ho, it wasn't a ho.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Dogtown

• Copper Member
« Reply #179 on: May 24, 2019, 05:35:02 AM »
Wait ...what ? there are bots in match play ?
Soooo's I'm standing there i got my ......NM