Author Topic: Return of Wild Bill and MicroProse  (Read 36068 times)

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
Re: Return of Wild Bill and MicroProse
« Reply #210 on: August 06, 2019, 05:37:13 PM »
HT's Warbirds was failing SO BADLY that Bill gave HT $10 million for a failing business? Umm...yeah.

You have to take the context to understand why that happened. It was the beginning of the dot com boom and tons of companies with little or no value were sold for tons of money. Warbirds was probably not worth that much but either the company was in the beginning of a nose dive or the new owners drove the company into the ground.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #211 on: August 06, 2019, 05:40:51 PM »
You have to take the context to understand why that happened. It was the beginning of the dot com boom and tons of companies with little or no value were sold for tons of money. Warbirds was probably not worth that much but either the company was in the beginning of a nose dive or the new owners drove the company into the ground.

The latter.
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #212 on: August 06, 2019, 05:41:56 PM »
HT's Warbirds was failing SO BADLY that Bill gave HT $10 million for a failing business? Umm...yeah.

I'm learning Unity right now, and hope to soon fail at a game so I can retire.

:cool:
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #213 on: August 06, 2019, 05:57:24 PM »

I'm learning Unity right now, and hope to soon fail at a game so I can retire.

:cool:

Make sure there are brothels.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #214 on: August 06, 2019, 06:51:23 PM »

Hitech coded it, he didn't own it. Then he had this idea for the best flight sim ever and started HTC so he could do it his way.   :aok

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #215 on: August 06, 2019, 07:18:09 PM »
I didn't know Hitech had done Air Warrior.  And he was failing with Warbirds before Bill swooped in and saved him.  Lol.  It's like listening to Coach from Cheers. 

Wild Bill's comments just shows he doesn't have a clue and why Warbirds is in the state it is in.  If you look at Wild Bill's involvement in any studio he's been with, the studios of gone tit's up.  Look at Microprose.  According to Wild Bill, he was the reason why Microprose was so successful in the '80's and 'early 90's.  Yet, the company started to go tit's up after Sid Meier left because of constant bad business decisions by Wild Bill like trying to break into the arcade market.

HiTech was a player in Air Warrior, he wasn't employed or ever worked for Kesmai, the creators and developers of Air Warrior.  Interactive Creations (HiTech's company) wasn't failing when purchased by iEntertainment Network and didn't need saving.  In reality, it was iEN that needed saving, which is why when Wild Bill was still at iEN, they purchased IC and Warbirds because Wild Bill was trying to sell iEN to a venture capitalist in either '98 or '99.  iEN had stretched themselves too thin, at the time iEN had more distribution deals rather then game development and the games they did develop outside of Warbirds, weren't successful.  Even after Wild Bill returned to iEN in the early 2000's, iEN continued to be plagued with bad business decisions which carried over to poor development decisions in Warbirds.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 07:30:13 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #216 on: August 06, 2019, 07:46:02 PM »
Wild Bill's comments just shows he doesn't have a clue and why Warbirds is in the state it is in. [...]

Agreed.  Of course, I knew all that.  I was just being a smart asz.  But it's good you clarified for anyone else who sees this and didn't know the back-story.

And yes,  Wild Bill is a "clueless dolt". 

Salesmen have their role, but neither them nor accountants should ever be allowed to run a company.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #217 on: August 07, 2019, 12:10:50 AM »
Hitech coded it, he didn't own it. Then he had this idea for the best flight sim ever and started HTC so he could do it his way.   :aok
AMEN  :cheers:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #218 on: August 07, 2019, 09:24:50 AM »
That video really drove home how smart you need to be to make money from making video games (Sid Meier was a genius).

Offline Archie

• Zinc Member
« Reply #219 on: August 10, 2019, 01:01:36 AM »
This game is NOT going to be ready this fall. We'll be lucky to see it for E3 in 2020.  It's my prediction, but after working on around half a dozen game sims development as a alpha/beta tester and game design architect, the biggest unknown in all software products is the time it takes to fix bugs.

They are still at October release date  :)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #220 on: August 10, 2019, 06:08:30 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

adjective

gull·​ible | \ ˈgə-lə-bəl  \

variants: or less commonly gullable

Definition of gullible

: easily duped or cheated selling overpriced souvenirs to gullible tourists

80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Archie

• Zinc Member
« Reply #221 on: August 10, 2019, 06:17:56 AM »
I doubt that they would be tarnishing the MicroProse name and the new developer (David Lagettie) putting his credentials out there and past history to just make bold statements.....

If the game will not be released by 30th October..... then I will put my eyebrow up, but for now i'm remaining optimistic.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #222 on: August 10, 2019, 08:13:30 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Is that Wild Bill's version of "two weeks"?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #223 on: August 10, 2019, 09:23:56 PM »
iEN is literally a penny stock.   :rofl

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #224 on: August 10, 2019, 09:32:23 PM »
...the new developer (David Lagettie) putting his credentials out there and past history to just make bold statements.....

David Lagettie isn't some super star "developer", nor does he have very many games to his credit.  Most of his work was as an audio engineer in the Operation Flashpoint games, he only has one game under his belt as a designer.  His "claim to fame" was as a singer for some Internet band and a HVAC repair man in Australia in the early 2000s.

But who knows, maybe this will be successful and iEN's stocks will rise to $0.02 cents.

Does Wild Bill still try to pretend he was a fighter pilot in the US Air Force?