Author Topic: What am I doing wrong?  (Read 656 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
What am I doing wrong?
« on: October 28, 2001, 12:14:00 PM »
Hello all, I'm trying to pull in the terrain generated from mapmaker. I've copied the blank folder to a folder called test. Copied the .elv and .typ files made by mapmaker into the test folder and renamed them to test. In the editor I click edit terrain and click set terrain. I type in test and am told the program must be restarted which I do after saving. Still opens to the default newterr. Help!
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline jihad

• Nickel Member
What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2001, 01:09:00 PM »
In the AH/Editor/Settings directory open curterr.cfg with notepad and change the text to the file you want to work with.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2001, 04:51:00 PM »
Thanks Jihad, I took a look in this file and the only text there is "test". That is the name of the folder I created/copied. Maybe I haven't created the export with mapmaker correctly. will play with that some more. Thanks, again.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
      • http://s7.eastlink.ca/~tscott
What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2001, 06:14:00 PM »
AKiron

It is best to do what Jihad said first before you run the other program.
Then you can place the .elv and .typ files in the folder.

Its the same for using the Bmp2Map program.  Make the terrain folder with the editor 1st then run the bmp2map program.

Pokie

Offline Odin

• Zinc Member
What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2001, 09:05:00 PM »
Ooops double post
  :rolleyes:

[ 10-28-2001: Message edited by: VonBeer ]

Offline Odin

• Zinc Member
What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2001, 09:09:00 PM »
G'day one other thing I think, is after you save the Test terrain in editor. Before restarting add your new Elev. typ. files in the folder you created.

I experienced the same problem with my 1st try with mapmaker

<S> Beer

Hehe Then again I could be wrong

[ 10-28-2001: Message edited by: VonBeer ]

Offline Sky Viper

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.no54squad.com
What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2001, 10:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by AKIron:
Hello all, I'm trying to pull in the terrain generated from mapmaker. I've copied the blank folder to a folder called test. Copied the .elv and .typ files made by mapmaker into the test folder and renamed them to test. In the editor I click edit terrain and click set terrain. I type in test and am told the program must be restarted which I do after saving. Still opens to the default newterr. Help!

Did you rename the blank.oba and blank.wca files to test.oba and test.wca?

Viper

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2001, 07:44:00 PM »
Heres the way i do it. Sofar it NEVER has failed me.

First go into AH TE and set a terrain, Lets say we call it "Firstmap" close the Editor and restart, the editor will now open to "firstmap" which will have default tiles and absolutely no elevation. Exit out of the editor ( wether you save the map or not will not effect the map)

NOW go into AKwabbits mapmaker utility and using your .BMP file ( the one you want the map of) create a new map to the elevation you want and call it "firstmap" and save to Desktop (you can save this to any folder you wish, I'm using Desktop)

Now copy the files AKwabbits utility made and paste them in your folder that AH TE made, ( should be C:/programfiles/HTC/editor/terrains/firstmap... if my memory is right)

This will override the Old firstmap.elv and Firstmap.typ files.

You are now done... Open AH TE and your map is perfect!!

Now you can copy in your coloerd .BMP file to the same folder and this becomes your clipboard map.

It may seam long and a weird way of getting there, but this whole process takes seconds and It has Always produced what i am looking for. The nice thing about this is if your not pleased with the elevation just open akwabbits utility and redo the elevation and replace the file again, till you acheive the look you want.

NUTTZ