Author Topic: Brakes are stuck on  (Read 686 times)

Offline Nixa

• Zinc Member
Brakes are stuck on
« on: July 05, 2019, 08:57:49 AM »
Hello

I thought I'd give this game another go. But when I go into offline mode and try to take off the brakes are stuck on. The key mapping say the brakes are mapped to the space bar, but it does not work. I reinstalled the game and it still does it.

I really want to try this out again and get involved with a squad or group that's willing to help an old fart get the hang of the game.
I have the TM16000 with throttle and rudder pedals. and love flying flight sims.

Thanks, Nixa

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
Re: Brakes are stuck on
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 09:36:32 AM »
Are you just checking key mapping? Maybe in controller mapping it is assigned to an analog input. Might be worth checking.
Every now and then my brakes get stuck on too for some reason. Usually when I unplug my controller and plug it back in it goes back to normal.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 10:10:19 AM »
You said you have rudder pedals, check to see if the "toe brakes" are mapped to them. If so, removing the toe brakes and trying again will tell you if it is that causing the issue. If it is check them in windows calibration may solve the issue .Re-calibrating the toe brakes in game may clear it as well.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 11:20:45 AM »
Additional to the above, if you tap your toe brakes, do the brakes come off?  I've seen situations where that happens on your very first flight on a login.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Nixa

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 12:19:24 PM »
Ok, got it by re calibrating the toe brakes.
Now I need to get the joystick axis dialed in. One of the problems i'm having with the rudder pedals is that there is no real center spot detente, to let my know when the peddles are centered, it's there but not that noticeable.
Also, is there a training video somewhere, to show me how to trim the plane for straight and level flight? I keep trying to get it but there is something i'm missing.

Is this the wrong forums the these kinds of questions, or should I move somewhere else?

Thanks for the help, Nixa

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 12:47:35 PM »
Most players map a key to "combat trim on/off". This way you flip it on and it trims the plane for the speed your at, flip it off and it stays set until you make adjust ments again. Leaving combat trim on automatically trims the plane as you fly. Many leave it on and fly that way. The only time it becomes an issue is when you rope to a stall your plane trim seems to get you "stuck" in the air at the top.

As for the rudders, either fix the pedals by adding something to make that "center point" easier to feel, or add some dead band to the axis so you dont have to hit to "center spot" so perfectly.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 12:49:37 PM by The Fugitive »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 03:05:16 PM »
Ok, got it by re calibrating the toe brakes.
Now I need to get the joystick axis dialed in. One of the problems i'm having with the rudder pedals is that there is no real center spot detente, to let my know when the peddles are centered, it's there but not that noticeable.
Also, is there a training video somewhere, to show me how to trim the plane for straight and level flight? I keep trying to get it but there is something i'm missing.

Is this the wrong forums the these kinds of questions, or should I move somewhere else?

Thanks for the help, Nixa

It's difficult if not impossible to trim for level flight in a single engine aircraft. You can get close but it's easier to use the auto pilot level mode. I have the 3 auto pilot modes mapped to a hat.

If you use combat trim it uses a look up table to set the trim close to your current speed.

There is a stick and pedal position indicator you can turn on in options if you want to see when your pedals are centered. Generally you want the pedals in a position where the turn indicator ball is centered and the plane is flying where it's pointed.

You can post additional questions in Help and Training or here. You get the same answers from the same people.  :aok

Let me know if you want to schedule some training. This is a challenging simulation and there is much to learn and practice.

Offline Nixa

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 11:47:01 AM »
Thanks Everyone for the input.

I finally got my controls calibrated and a few of the buttons mapped. I still have a some of the training materials to read thru. and I assume I need to have a subscription before I can get  a trainer?  So I think I should spend some time in the offline area until I get a better grip on the game first. 

I'm looking forward a getting better and flying with you guy's..

Thank's again Nixa

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 05:30:11 PM »
When I returned to the game I noticed that my planes were braking automatically too.  There is an option in the settings now for automatic brakes, couldn't figure out why mine were always on until I found that setting.
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2019, 08:54:44 PM »
The training arena is a free arena. Anyone can request training.