Author Topic: Steam verses normal play  (Read 611 times)

Offline Nixa

• Zinc Member
Steam verses normal play
« on: July 07, 2019, 07:24:55 AM »
 I may be headed for trouble.

I originally installed Aces High thru steam a long time ago. and did the 2 week trial then stopped playing. A few days ago I got the bug to play the game again.
I upgraded the game thru the Hi Tech web site "I had forgotten that it was installed thru Steam" and it gave my a new desktop short cut. The DX11 one. is 3.04 patch 12. It looks like when I click on the steam shortcut its saying it's version 3.04 patch 12 also so did your website update the steam version, or did it install a second game on my computer? If it did I cannot find it. the only copy of the game is the one in
Steam/steamaaps/common/Aces High. 
So I guess my question is which shortcut should I be using? the new one that says DX11 or the old steam created shortcut?
I am ready to create an account and I'm not sure which shortcut to use.

Thanks for your help, Nixa

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Steam verses normal play
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 08:04:25 AM »
You have both versions installed, you can use either one but the new installation will need a new account. The desktop shortcut is for the website version.

The website download does not update the Steam version. Steam does automatic updates.

Your account on Steam will not let you connect to the website version.

You can have both versions with two accounts, you only need to pay for the account you use in the paid arenas.

Offline Nixa

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 08:50:13 AM »
Thanks FLS for all your help.
Do you have an opinion on which I should use? The Steam link or the Hitech link?

Nixa

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 09:10:14 AM »
Steam takes a cut of the subscription so I recommend the website version.  There is no performance difference.

Offline Nixa

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 09:15:55 AM »
Ok Thanks

I'm just going to do it and get it over with. I'll use the Hitech one, it seems that Steam has been flaky lately

Nixa

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 09:22:23 AM »
You'll also be able to use the DX9 version if you don't use VR. You will just have to make a new shortcut from the game folder

Offline Nixa

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 09:43:28 AM »
I do own an Oculus Rift but i'm not planning on using it at this time. Is there a reason to use the DX9 version over the DX11 version?

Thanks Nixa

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2019, 10:47:47 AM »
A lot of people have had problems with short pauses and stutters with DX11. Have you tried your rift in game yet. It is pretty awesome

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2019, 12:57:23 PM »
I do own an Oculus Rift but i'm not planning on using it at this time. Is there a reason to use the DX9 version over the DX11 version?

Thanks Nixa

I won't fly without VR now but it can be useful to type and look at the keyboard, command lists ,etc when learning.

When you do try VR the controls need to be set up separately. The game chooses the VR control set if VR is active.

Aces High can revert to full screen if you use VR but need to take the headset off, this setting may cause occasional slight pauses.

DX11 looks better than DX9 and DX11 is required for VR. Some people find that DX9 is better suited to their PC's.