Author Topic: AH Homepage  (Read 3911 times)

Offline Tripp

• Zinc Member
AH Homepage
« on: July 10, 2019, 08:06:28 PM »
Just realized that when searching for the AH site you bring up the Home page all of us are used to. When viewing it thinking in terms of recruiting why is it that half the page is taken up with Server upgrades and something representing joining AH is a small column on the left. Could this fail in the "Come Join AH" department? For a prospects first impression of Aces High, this is not a great effort! Just sayin...

Offline RareHaze1

• Zinc Member
Re: AH Homepage
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 08:49:59 PM »
I Second This Post!!!  :salute :rock :salute :salute

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 09:06:35 PM »
+1
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 06:56:03 AM »
The HTC home page is drab, dull and neglected.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 09:09:02 AM »
It would look better without old information on it. Replace the old news with the list of features that make AH better than the competition and it won't look neglected.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 09:15:47 AM »
The webpage is way_yyyyyyy behind the times. It needed updating 5 years ago. As the technology changes for websites the website must be upgraded.  Sales and marketing is an ever changing thing as the public is always looking for the next thing to catch their eye.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 09:30:34 AM »
The AH web page was updated for the AH3 release, about 3 years ago.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 03:38:20 PM »
The AH web page was updated for the AH3 release, about 3 years ago.

And was out dated then. There is no flash or excitement transmitted by the layout of the page. Skuzzy used Joomla to create the page. My guess is due to limited time to mess with it he used a template that came with the program. The page has always been bland and un welcoming. There is nothing on the page that brings in any excitement. Why would a new player bother to look around? Amazon shows more action than the Aces page.

Compare Aces Highs page with the other "flight sim/games" sites out there. Which one looks like the most fun?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 03:41:51 PM by The Fugitive »

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 03:41:49 PM »
I don't think there is anything wrong with the design of the page itself. It is simple and has good colors/looks, and the re-vamp to Joomla gives it a modern feel. The issue is the dated media and info.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 07:22:32 PM »
And was out dated then. There is no flash or excitement transmitted by the layout of the page. Skuzzy used Joomla to create the page. My guess is due to limited time to mess with it he used a template that came with the program. The page has always been bland and un welcoming. There is nothing on the page that brings in any excitement. Why would a new player bother to look around? Amazon shows more action than the Aces page.

Compare Aces Highs page with the other "flight sim/games" sites out there. Which one looks like the most fun?

The advertising should match the correct demographic. No sense attracting more people who will leave right away since their word of mouth will not be positive. If you can't handle a static web page good luck with the 5 minute flight to the fight. Of course everything could be better, the question is what do you spend your time and treasure on right now.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 08:21:00 PM »
The advertising should match the correct demographic. No sense attracting more people who will leave right away since their word of mouth will not be positive. If you can't handle a static web page good luck with the 5 minute flight to the fight. Of course everything could be better, the question is what do you spend your time and treasure on right now.

Keeping 1% 1000 vs 1% of 10 viewing the page....... hmmmmmm Id spend some more time and money on the webpage.

Casting a wide net will bring in players that didnt even know they were interested in this game. A good webpage is just like advertising. Your trying to interest as many people in your product as possible knowing your not going to get them all. Why be ok with trying to pin point your audience?

Offline Tripp

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 11:02:15 PM »
Keeping 1% 1000 vs 1% of 10 viewing the page....... hmmmmmm Id spend some more time and money on the webpage.

Casting a wide net will bring in players that didn't even know they were interested in this game. A good webpage is just like advertising. You're trying to interest as many people in your product as possible knowing you're not going to get them all. Why be ok with trying to pinpoint your audience?

Several good points expressed in the comments so far.
A few things to keep in mind, for one the owner of AH has a perspective on where he wants his business to be. Keeping that in mind he has been responsive to his customer's desires and as far as I can tell has done well in this area. 
Items such as the financial aspects of the company, the companies strategic agenda, several considerations affecting a company and product progress must be considered.
That being said, the website is still the front door to AH having a great bearing on its future. The website does need some attention but must accomplish more than the obvious. It should have a front end of high quality without detracting the need to inform and educate its members.  It must entice continued growth and retention to ensure it's future.
The resources appear to be in-house, they just need to be brought together and continually monitored and maintained. I still believe that a better understanding of the market and how AH fits that market is premier. Decisions on just what AH's share of a current rapidly changing market is, must be a prime.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 07:32:06 AM »

When you just make up numbers like that you don't really have a point.

It's easy to repeat mundane truisms, actually coming up with something that works is harder.

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2019, 09:22:11 AM »

theres a lot wrong in that statement above.  fugi is correct on the drag net, so you get a lot that leave, oh well.  what about the ones that stay? you speak of this as this company is selling home health care for the critically ill and advertising for 16yr old skateboarders?  that's a very negative way to look at the window dressing for a business of any kind.   
when I first joined this game it was a advertisement on tv at about 10pm at night that I saw a few times.  when I joined the game I couldn't tell you the difference from a me410 and f4u corsair.  a tank was a ground vehicle that had a bunch of rolley wheels and tracks that made loud bang noises.  I believe that I may have been one you would have skipped over with you thoughts on the web page.  unfortunately being in a rural area in 09 my internet was not good enough to play at the time. 
after purchasing a job that requires 24hr attention and getting to a point I could afford help I thought let me give that game a shot again since I am stuck at the desk for long periods of time.  lo and behold I had ball in it (again with your ideas above I would have missed) and stayed for three years. 
web sites are relatively easily kept up, as I had one when I first went into business. we have since turned it off and quit advertising all together as our business model has changed but I got thousands of hits each month, not saying I got every customer that looked at it but the return was worth it at the price.  and I am no computer guru (check the help section and google my game name lol).  we catered form everything and every point in our industry and I got some very good paying jobs that were brought to me simply by some one clicking on a link. 
I have canceled my sub in the game as the game play and players have gotten very mundane (hence nothing new).  the whole game at this point seems static with the typical game play and players.  so with no new breath of air you have the "current players" leaving also.  the squad I was in had about 12 regular players on in the evening when I joined and about 17 when fso and sundays came around.  now we are lucky to have 4 in fso and a couple a night on. 
seems the current trends are not working and as capt tripps said the head in the sand nothing wrong here idea is only hurting the game further. 

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2019, 09:37:25 AM »
That isn't true at all. Having an updated and active website/social media will absolutely be more attractive to people regardless of how gameplay is.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com