Author Topic: Anyone using oculus S?  (Read 1622 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Anyone using oculus S?
« on: July 16, 2019, 11:30:44 AM »
I have one user who it will not work.

HiTech

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: Anyone using oculus S?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 12:02:44 PM »
Got one last week. Have it set up and running in AH just fine. Messing with Voice Attack now for commands I'd generally type.

Setup was not without some hiccups tho. After a freshly updated new install of Win10 the Rift S didn't like either the "updated " Nvidia drivers or the usb 3 ports. It wouldn't connect to any of my display ports. I knew it wasn't that as my monitor worked fine. I googled it. It ended up being a driver problem was to do with the windows update directly hosing that driver version (I forget the number but the ones on the page yesterday are NOT affected by this)that was newest available on the downloads page. Nvidia issued a hot fix driver which got me in business....at least as far as the display port.

As for the usb ports, I had a green dot initially after installing but eventually I started getting a persistent warning I had to update my usb drivers. Nothing on windows update and nothing new on the manufacturer page. Bought the recommended  pci-e usb 3 add on card. Downloaded newest drivers. Same thing. Orange warning dot I need to update usb drivers. They're all newest available. Google shows this is a problem that's popped up they're thinking since a recent windows update. Lots of users dealing with it. Sure it's something silly that'll get cleared up.

Be prepared to get odd issues with apparently only the right touch controller. Another fairly common problem. You'll get a low battery warning with new batteries. Removing and re-pairing just spawns multiple right controllers that can't be obviously removed. There's a fix for that. It's not too involved. Got rid of my extra three right controllers finally!

With all that it's working just fine as far as I can tell. Being new to VR I have nothing to compare it to. I know my FR does drop in busy situations but my rig is in the lower end of the spec with a  6gb 1060. VR is a game changer. The cockpit are just so....touchable! Really immersive. Great job with that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 01:03:54 PM »
Yes. Rift S works. Had no issues setting up. Requires Win 10.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 03:16:57 PM »
 :aok Yup had it since release. ONLY issue I have had OTHER THAN WHAT DRANO mentioned is Microphone "Self Muting"? Having to use another headset for coms in game. May be Voice Attack...Teamspeak issue though. Orange USB...check....low battery on Controllers ....check. Doesnt seem to change anything, as everything works just fine...even with Dead Batteries :neener: :joystick: Yes, ok maybe not cool...but funny as hell! :devil
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 03:20:57 PM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 05:47:42 PM »
Once setup I haven't had any issues with aces high.
During initial setup I had to enable apps to access camera. The microphone didn't work either but showed up in Windows. It randomly started working though. After the firmware update I had to unplug the display port and USB and plug back in. I also get an occasional white flash while playing.
There are quite a few people on the oculus forum with problems though. It might be worth checking out

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 09:52:30 AM »
We found his problem, he has a lap top with 2 graphic cards, he was running his screen on the Intel and the Oculus on the Nvidia hence AH could not draw to both the oculus and screen at the same time.

HiTech

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 01:30:44 PM »
We found his problem, he has a lap top with 2 graphic cards
That made me pause a bit.  A laptop with TWO graphic cards?  Pretty cool.  Glad you both found a solution.

Ed
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 04:09:59 AM »
When you stop and think about it......What a time we live in!  :rock
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 02:44:03 AM »
That made me pause a bit.  A laptop with TWO graphic cards?  Pretty cool.  Glad you both found a solution.

Ed

It's quite common for laptops with a discrete GPU (like an NVidia). They have both the built-in low power motherboard graphics (intel) and the more powerful Nvidia GPU. In normal operation (web browsing, office apps) the low power onboard graphics is used, when a game (or something that needs a GPU) is started then the Nvidia GPU kicks in. Sometimes the application (or game) doesn't select the GPU correctly.

These sorts of laptop setups have been around for at least 7 or 8 years.

Offline toddbobe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 09:41:48 AM »
Pray for me... Ill be setting mine up this weekend.
Todd

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 10:15:33 AM »
Pray for me... Ill be setting mine up this weekend.
Todd

Let me know how that goes.  I have a birthday coming up and I think my wife ack is actually getting me one... 

I am nervous about setting it up.

Thanks!   
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline toddbobe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 10:20:28 AM »
You will love VR. Just don’t let anyone make a video of you using it. You look ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 02:45:18 PM »
Let me know how that goes.  I have a birthday coming up and I think my wife ack is actually getting me one... 

I am nervous about setting it up.

Thanks!

Oculus walks you through the simple set up. Once it's working all you have to do is start AH in VR and set up your controls again. Look at selections to move the cursor instead of moving the mouse, click mouse button to select.

I map the mouse buttons to my stick so I don't have to grab the mouse.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2019, 03:03:14 PM »
You will love VR. Just don’t let anyone make a video of you using it. You look ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GREAT POINT, Todd! :rofl  I always forget that one :uhoh You would think that Family wouldnt do you like that? I was a better Brother than that....right?  :eek: Guess not! Sis got me back I guess :furious

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 12:40:28 PM »

Debating pulling the trigger and trying VR.
Before I do though, will I still be able to use my HOTAS set up, or will I have to use those weird looking controllers that are always advertised with the VR packages?
All I am wanting is the view immersion, if that makes any sense.