Author Topic: Steam Marketing  (Read 10478 times)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
Re: Steam Marketing
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2019, 09:40:50 PM »
I just saw Ace High pop up in the Oculus Rift store. The reviews are brutal. People can't even figure out the controls and give up. They don't know a good flight sim from a bad one, just whether or not it is easy to get flying have fun. It is a shame to see one of the best WW2 air combat flight sims ever made ridiculed because it is too complex for the average gamer.

And yet, they will go play DCS and read an entire manual just to learn how to take off. I'll tell ya....

I do agree that a default stick and button and mouse layout would be very beneficial just to allow people to get into the air. Having to set up your stick axis is a bit too complicated... Get them in the air first, then they will be able to figure out how to set up their stick. It's really not that complicated once you figure it out ...
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2019, 10:16:13 PM »
And yet, they will go play DCS and read an entire manual just to learn how to take off. I'll tell ya....

I do agree that a default stick and button and mouse layout would be very beneficial just to allow people to get into the air. Having to set up your stick axis is a bit too complicated... Get them in the air first, then they will be able to figure out how to set up their stick. It's really not that complicated once you figure it out ...

THIS!!

Look at other games to see what there default buttons are and set the defaults like "most" games. Make a game pad work half decent in default mode so as soon as a new player logs in with a game pad the game detects it and the default setup is good enough to get them in the air.

Its time to cater to the new generation and make it easy for them. If it isnt they will just walk away.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2019, 10:25:27 PM »

Yup make the setup simple. Then they can adjust it.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2019, 10:43:19 PM »
Any feedback on these ideas?

Why don't we focus on solutions we can do as players? I am not currently playing any online games but I would love to see this one survive.

World War II online has been hanging on for a long time but appears to be in the same situation. Granted there's a much more FPS to that game but it does have some flying involved.

They offered a "hero" program where people could pay more then the subscription fee if they wanted and got some perks from it which I don't recall.

They also do fund raisers on Gofundme or whatever it's called for special projects. Maybe we could fund some advertising drive?

Airshows air museums etc. Maybe focus on places where people who have an interest go?

Maybe offer free 40 eny planes that you can earn perks with but then you have to pay to use your perks?

Personally I think that smaller maps might make it not seem as empty. I remember we had some map in AW that had like 3 islands  with bases and one in the middle that was nonstop fights in that area.

These are just some ideas off the top of my head. I think we should try to focus more on solutions if we're going to have this discussion again.

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2019, 11:02:14 PM »
See rule #4
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 08:12:21 AM by hitech »

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2019, 12:11:35 AM »
4chan strikes back and shoots for revenge on Hitech along with helping run off potential new customers as part of seeking that revenge. You guys still can't let your failed insurrection trying to take over these forums against Hitech go. Reminds me of Hillary, 2016, and the Russia hoax once Skuzzy exposed you and bluberry. The muppets have not forgotten Hitech and Skuzzy derailed their attempt at pulling an Occupy Wall Street against his private property while dragging in and exposing all the other revenge seekers. The muppets want HTC to fail as their revenge for not capitulating to them.

Understand now my observation that you guys are doing free marketing for Hitech's competition driving away new customers with your need for revenge becasue you think Hitech is clueless about his industry.

Grizz you are sad and lame pulling this nonsense after all this time.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2019, 07:36:59 AM »
Lol it's the vast muppet conspiracy!!

:rofl
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2019, 10:42:12 AM »
Any feedback on these ideas?

Why don't we focus on solutions we can do as players? I am not currently playing any online games but I would love to see this one survive.

World War II online has been hanging on for a long time but appears to be in the same situation. Granted there's a much more FPS to that game but it does have some flying involved.

They offered a "hero" program where people could pay more then the subscription fee if they wanted and got some perks from it which I don't recall.

They also do fund raisers on Gofundme or whatever it's called for special projects. Maybe we could fund some advertising drive?

Airshows air museums etc. Maybe focus on places where people who have an interest go?

Maybe offer free 40 eny planes that you can earn perks with but then you have to pay to use your perks?

Personally I think that smaller maps might make it not seem as empty. I remember we had some map in AW that had like 3 islands  with bases and one in the middle that was nonstop fights in that area.

These are just some ideas off the top of my head. I think we should try to focus more on solutions if we're going to have this discussion again.

It's all been beaten into the dust.  Pretty much every "something must be done" post goes over the same things over and over again.  Advertising will save us all.  This selection from the standard list of 12 gameplay changes needs to be made immediately to reverse the number trend.  Rinse, repeat.

HT's heard them all.  Based on the last few years, they don't seem to have convinced him to make those changes.  But, people seem to keep thinking the new thread will be the one to convince him, so here we are.  Everybody's got their pet opinion on why things are the way they are.

HT's silence on stuff like this lets people project whatever they want onto him from "The game is dead and he's just riding it into the ground" to "He's busy working on broad sweeping changes to save the game."  My personal view is we don't have enough information to see what's going on, but in this day and age gamers expect to be kept in the loop and when that doesn't happen, we get a thread similar to this one every week or two.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2019, 11:28:05 AM »
It's all been beaten into the dust.  Pretty much every "something must be done" post goes over the same things over and over again.  Advertising will save us all.  This selection from the standard list of 12 gameplay changes needs to be made immediately to reverse the number trend.  Rinse, repeat.

Actually, you should be glad these threads still pop-up.

When all us silly Don Quixote types stop making suggestions is the point to really start worrying.

At that point, either the cadre of self-appointed Political Commissars have finally won out and stamped out the last discussions as signs of disloyalty to the Party, or people have just stopped giving a flip.

:salute

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2019, 11:35:44 AM »
I read all this stuff, 99% of it is clueless dolts posting things they are passionate about but lack any information . Many times the posters have blinders on and don't see how many things have been tried that didn't produce results.

But then on occasion there are posts that actually do have a good idea. Most posts have no ideas at all they are nothing but grinding axes by players who have passed there exportation date.

In this thread there was one idea I liked.

HiTech

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2019, 11:42:04 AM »
Actually, you should be glad these threads still pop-up.

When all us silly Don Quixote types stop making suggestions is the point to really start worrying.

At that point, either the cadre of self-appointed Political Commissars have finally won out and stamped out the last discussions as signs of disloyalty to the Party, or people have just stopped giving a flip.

:salute

My problem with it is, it's spinning our wheels.  It's like the kids saying "Are we there yet?" over and over again.  The suggestions are the same every time.

I'd much rather see different ideas that might be up for consideration and might work rather than rehashing the same ones from the last 10 years.

But advertising, maybe at air museums will apparently save us all.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2019, 11:48:08 AM »
I read all this stuff, 99% of it is clueless dolts posting things they are passionate about but lack any information . Many times the posters have blinders on and don't see how many things have been tried that didn't produce results.

No doubt.  However in my experience you want to encourage a constant fire-hose of ideas knowing full well that 99% will be crap.  But that is the price you pay to find that 1% of gold.  99% of all ideas in the history of Mankind have been crap.  The only thing worse than that, is no ideas. Or worse, good ideas that don't get offered because they are not welcomed.

Certainly you have a right to expect the discussions are kept civil with the intention of being helpful. 

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2019, 12:01:49 PM »

But advertising, maybe at air museums will apparently save us all.

Yeah. Well.  I had a delightfully snarky response typed out about maybe we should try a bake sale, etc. But I deleted that because I don't want to discourage the guy from brain-storming.  I wish his second post had been more ideas instead of simply cut and pasting the previous ones, but instead of shooting him down, I'd rather say "interesting, what else?"  Snarking is easy.  Creative problem-solving is hard.

I'm willing to have to wade through a bunch of bad ideas looking for good ones.  But the fastest way to shut off the spigot would be to humiliate people for trying.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2019, 12:17:18 PM »
Yeah. Well.  I had a delightfully snarky response typed out about maybe we should try a bake sale, etc. But I deleted that because I don't want to discourage the guy from brain-storming.  I wish his second post had been more ideas instead of simply cut and pasting the previous ones, but instead of shooting him down, I'd rather say "interesting, what else?"  Snarking is easy.  Creative problem-solving is hard.

I'm willing to have to wade through a bunch of bad ideas looking for good ones.  But the fastest way to shut off the spigot would be to humiliate people for trying.

That's swell, but a lot of people take "This is why it hasn't been done." as an attack.  It's not "Interesting".  It's been done to death.  But people don't want to hear about "What else?" all they want to hear is discussion of whether it's a good idea, or a really good idea.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2019, 12:29:14 PM »
Really what should happen is that Warbirds, WWIIOnine, and Aces High should combine resources, man-power, and user-base, form a new combined company and produce a hybrid game that takes all the best ideas and puts them together.

There simply isn't a big enough online multi-player WWII market anymore to split 3 ways.  All that is doing is bleeding 3 separate companies dry.

(Hunkering down for incoming....)

That's a nice idea.  Not really sure what WBs would bring to the table, as it's more or less an earlier iteration of AH.  I wonder what the compromises to mash AH and WWIIOnline together would look like.

Odds of it happening?

Wiley.

JG11