Author Topic: Custom Arena and Extra Sub Fee  (Read 4940 times)

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
Re: Custom Arena and Extra Sub Fee
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2019, 07:12:50 PM »
I know but with the persistent arena you wouldn't have to set it up each time you decided to jump in to a custom arena. You would simply join a rented server and join a mission or the mission that is currently running.

I feel that it would be a "value added" option for your game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2019, 08:56:34 AM »
You can already do what you describe.

HiTech

But the arena is not persistent.   

So that is one difference.   
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2019, 09:53:51 AM »
And a paid Custom Arena Owner ought to be able to upload a splash screen image for their arena (subject to HTC approval).

:D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 10:52:12 AM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2019, 07:42:43 PM »
And a paid Custom Arena Owner ought to be able to upload a splash screen image for their arena (subject to HTC approval).

:D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2019, 04:30:03 PM »
And the final result will be telling your three fans, Oh, don't worry about Hitech Creations, I'm paying them extra to host "My Game", just ignore those fools. Ultimately that's how all the little Napoleons who had persistent HtH arenas treated Hitech Creations way back when. Still, back then they weren't paying Hitech anything but, once you are paying for something, Hitech is just the property manager you have to pony up rent to while your apartment is your personal universe until you get evicted.

I think there was a reason the custom arena system was constructed the way it is today.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2019, 05:03:15 PM »
And the final result will be telling your three fans, Oh, don't worry about Hitech Creations, I'm paying them extra to host "My Game", just ignore those fools. Ultimately that's how all the little Napoleons who had persistent HtH arenas treated Hitech Creations way back when. Still, back then they weren't paying Hitech anything but, once you are paying for something, Hitech is just the property manager you have to pony up rent to while your apartment is your personal universe until you get evicted.

I think there was a reason the custom arena system was constructed the way it is today.

Drinking this early?

All we are really talking about is a Custom Arena that persists after the admin logs out. The rental fee is just to filter out kiddies from wasting the bandwidth pointlessly.

Obviously, you didn't read the thread.

Warming up to this idea.
HiTech

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2019, 05:46:33 PM »

And BTW the $ charge would not really provide any real revenue , but it would act as a filter so that people would not just create an arena and leave it.

HiTech

Sounded to me like he's against unattended player arenas.
The terrain I uploaded today for this type of thing will need an update later in the week. The ack at the north field can reach the combat area and catch players by surprise. Not good, but it's running in the AvA tonight.

:cheers:
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2019, 06:04:25 PM »
Sounded to me like he's against unattended player arenas.

I believe what he meant is that he doesn't want Custom Arena just staying up by default, so that people don't needlessly take up resources because they didn't know how, or forgot to shut it down.  He just doesn't want every little kid who starts one to play around leaving it up forever because Power Rangers came on TV and he closed the client without hitting shut down arena button.

Charging a nominal fee that you would specifically have to sign up for would keep the Custom Arena working as-is for the vast majority of players.  You would have to intentionally sign up ahead of time for the extra surcharge to have the capability to persist a Custom Arena.  99.99% of the players wouldn't choose that added charge.  Kids wouldn't accidentally leave them on when they leave.  They would automatically shut down as they do now. 

Someone who has added the persistent Custom Arena account add-on is specifically choosing to do this.  It wouldn't just be by accident.  And they would be limited to one persistent arena, or perhaps additional charge per arena they want to persist.  It is the best of both worlds.  It allows the user to feel a little cost for persisting an arena to prevent it being done frivolously, but allowing it for user who have a true use.

Hence why he was warming to the idea, because it allowed the capability, with a self-enforcing limiter for waste.

$0.02.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 07:12:44 PM by CptTrips »

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2019, 04:27:05 PM »
I like this idea. Like the aw full realism arena. I’d be willing to pay extra for that.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2019, 05:15:16 PM »
I like this idea. Like the aw full realism arena. I’d be willing to pay extra for that.

Well, I don't think the intent was that you as a player would have to pay anything to fly in these persistent Custom Arena.  Only a squad or player that wanted to run a persistent server would be paying extra. 

If they don't password lock it, you get to just visit and fly in there for free.   More variety to sample and to enjoy.

:salute
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 05:18:26 PM by CptTrips »

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2019, 05:46:08 PM »
I believe what he meant is that he doesn't want Custom Arena just staying up by default, so that people don't needlessly take up resources because they didn't know how, or forgot to shut it down.  ...

Gotcha, thanks.

I hope he goes through with it. The way I remember it, the original H2H was where most new players stayed for awhile, building confidence before jumping into a paid MA subscription.

Edit: Oh, I fixed all known issues with the Combat terrain. It's total fantasy but works for very quick fights and should help build skills quickly.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 05:49:49 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2019, 07:37:28 PM »
I can hit a building at max G while a brew is trying to shoot me. I have that down pat.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2019, 07:54:44 PM »
 :D Keep practicing!
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2019, 08:10:23 PM »
I can hit a building at max G while a brew is trying to shoot me. I have that down pat.

:rofl :rofl :rofl
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2019, 08:21:57 PM »
I hope he goes through with it. The way I remember it, the original H2H was where most new players stayed for awhile, building confidence before jumping into a paid MA subscription.

Exactly.  Like a Farm League for Aces High.

I especially want to provide a place for youngsters to catch the bug early in life. 

It needs to be in the F2P area so they don't have to convince Mom and Dad to fork out a monthly bill for a game, and there either needs to be a constant population, or AI-Augmented, or both, so that they always have stuff to do for a few hours after school before dinner.  Telling to just wander around in empty arena, covered in dust and cobwebs, is not going to get them excited about the game.

:salute