Author Topic: MapMaker troublemaker...  (Read 433 times)

Offline alter78

• Zinc Member
MapMaker troublemaker...
« on: November 29, 2001, 02:17:00 AM »
Hello everybody.

I've spent hours trying to make the Terrain Editor work with a map exported from "MapMaker"... I've done everything they say on their website, but when coming up with it on "Set Terrain" under the AH Editor it seems that the map is damaged.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong??? I just want to fly in my small country a little bit and enjoy...

Do you have some comments?

to see the "MapMaker" capable of making a terrain map of almost anywhere in this world:
 http://www.concentric.net/~Reaper/mapmaker/

Thank you!
  :cool:   :cool:   :cool:   :cool:   :cool:
Pablo
ZZTop

Offline Sky Viper

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.no54squad.com
MapMaker troublemaker...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2001, 09:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by Pablo:
Hello everybody.

I've spent hours trying to make the Terrain Editor work with a map exported from "MapMaker"... I've done everything they say on their website, but when coming up with it on "Set Terrain" under the AH Editor it seems that the map is damaged.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong??? I just want to fly in my small country a little bit and enjoy...

Do you have some comments?

to see the "MapMaker" capable of making a terrain map of almost anywhere in this world:
 http://www.concentric.net/~Reaper/mapmaker/

Thank you!
   :cool:    :cool:    :cool:    :cool:    :cool:
Pablo
ZZTop

Pablo,
We have no idea what your doing wrong unless you tell us what you're doing.
Just saying you are following the directions is not enough.

Some common problems:
1. The utility CANNOT be used to make maps smaller than 512. I know it says you can, but nobody has been able to make it work. We even got Ogre (the utility creator) to take a look at it, but he hasn't replied with a solution.
2. Miss named files and folders.
You have to make sure that the files are all of the same name as the folder.
Example: Your map is called  pabloville.
It would be located in the ..aheditor\terrains\pabloville\ folder, and you should have files that are called
pabloville.oba
pabloville.wca
pabloville.elv
pabloville.typ
The first two should be created by making a copy of the files that are under ..aheditor\terrains\blank\  and renaming them to pabloville.oba & pabloville.wca accordingly.

Then you have to copy the .typ and .elv files from the mapmaker directory to your aheditor\terrains\pabloville directory and rename them accordingly.

Now you should have a good 512 mile square terrain. (provided you didn't try to tweak the mapmaker.cfg for a 256 mile output)

Hope this helps,
Viper

Offline alter78

• Zinc Member
MapMaker troublemaker...
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2001, 01:02:00 PM »
Viper,

Thanks for your reply.

I've done the following:

MapMaker steps:
1) Downloaded and decompressed: gusgs1_2.img, which is 662 MB. Downloaded W060S10 files for my location (-34,-56).
2) Choosed the region I wanted. Tried with a range of 512 x 512 miles, then 256 x 256 miles, then a small piece by putting the coordinates: -31.0 and -58.5, 43 degrees width (which gave me almost an approx. 256 miles).
3) Choosed under "output parameters section" to output data in filtered mode.
4) Exported it to .elv and .typ files.
Once this is done (the output files .elv and .typ are full of information, they are not blank), which I've checked with XTGold.
Actually I don't know if that information is OK and if the format of the file itself is OK. Maybe I can upload them (elv and typ) for review by other people.

OTHER STEPS:
1) Copied the elv and typ files into the new "pablo" folder and copied blank files and renamed them to "pablo.*" folder under "aheditor/terrains".
2) Checked all 4 files in the folder are "pablo.*" files. When executing AH Editor it will create new files there.
3) I've opened the AH Terrain Editor. Once in the editor I loaded the "new terrain" by choosing "Set Terrain" and putting the name "pablo". The program reminds you to close and restart it.
4) I closed and restarted it.
5) Once restarted I can see some sheeps, a little square of a green field and the tower in the middle. Nothing else but "water" or a plain terrain. When I start "playing" with the map, the "water" occupy half the screen and its nearly difficult to know what you're clicking. I've seen this screen in AH website when explaining how to use the editor. Maybe there is anything else I should do, I don't know.
6) It seems like no map was loaded at all. It is the same whether I put the name of the folder or any name under "Set Terrain".

Maybe there is a common mistake.
Do you know if there is a FAQ or there are previous posts so I can learn how to do this successfully?

I will appreciate your comments and help.

Pablo
ZZTOP

:cool: